X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German minefields at Alamein....

LAYOUT OF ENEMY MINEFIELDS
    http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/el-alamein/index.html
    Last edited by sniper1946; 23 Mar 10, 09:58. Reason: adding info..

That's some good stuff, thanks for posting that.

The "infernal gardens" have always been a prime interest of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sniper1946 View Post
      Thank you for that Ray, never realised there was so much to it!!
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

much appreciated guys, it's a pleasure, regards, ray..

Comment

Caught a documentary on Al Jazeera Europe of all places only 2 nights ago. Showing the casualties still being caught up by local Egyptians from minefields. Lots of lost legs. Big thing on who should pay for 3.2 million dollars for replacement limbs..Not compensation, just limbs. UN have put in few quid, British Embassy have made a nominal gift. Italians are thinking about it,but most of program centred on German politician visiting the areas. Seems no one wants to help. 2nd world war minefields dont seem as important to clear as Bosnian or Rwandan. Sad program.

Comment

Originally posted by urqh View Post
            Caught a documentary on Al Jazeera Europe of all places only 2 nights ago. Showing the casualties still being caught up by local Egyptians from minefields. Lots of lost legs. Big thing on who should pay for 3.2 million dollars for replacement limbs..Not compensation, just limbs. UN have put in few quid, British Embassy have made a nominal gift. Italians are thinking about it,but most of program centred on German politician visiting the areas. Seems no one wants to help. 2nd world war minefields dont seem as important to clear as Bosnian or Rwandan. Sad program.
            that is odd urqh, and sad as you say, the mine was a deadly weapon and it's come back to haunt us,and it's one of the worst inventions that man ever produced...ray..

Comment

Originally posted by sniper1946 View Post
              that is odd urqh, and sad as you say, the mine was a deadly weapon and it's come back to haunt us,and it's one of the worst inventions that man ever produced...ray..
              Hi Ray, I'll go along with you on that one mate, that's for sure!
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Most of the mines laid in the western desert are still there, very large patch of land are closed by barbed wire fences, and whereever needed tracks have been bulldozed with concrete filled oil drums as navigation markers.

In 1974, my 1st trip to the western desert, while going by car from Alexandria to Al Hamra oil terminal with 2 other French divers to carry an underwater inspection of the loading Buoy system, we spotted an old cargo ship laying on the beach about 2 kilometers from the road, as there was no tracks from the main road to the beach, we went on foot, to find on arrival that some crew was still on the ship to prevent intruders and they happily told us that we had just crossed a known minefield and that the safe way was to walk along the beach to the next access track, return trip took 4 times longer but we didn't mind!

kelt

Comment

Originally posted by kelt06 View Post
                  Most of the mines laid in the western desert are still there, very large patch of land are closed by barbed wire fences, and whereever needed tracks have been bulldozed with concrete filled oil drums as navigation markers.

In 1974, my 1st trip to the western desert, while going by car from Alexandria to Al Hamra oil terminal with 2 other French divers to carry an underwater inspection of the loading Buoy system, we spotted an old cargo ship laying on the beach about 2 kilometers from the road, as there was no tracks from the main road to the beach, we went on foot, to find on arrival that some crew was still on the ship to prevent intruders and they happily told us that we had just crossed a known minefield and that the safe way was to walk along the beach to the next access track, return trip took 4 times longer but we didn't mind!

kelt
                  mountains of the things too, cheers for telling that, worrying to know your walking into danger.. ray,,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X