Clear All

• Booommmmm!!!!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Pretty impressive. I looked for that type of mine and found nothing. The article said that the mines would sit on the sea bed and become active when a ship passed. So, my question is, how did it function? Did it use the water displacement/jet to damage ships?
    "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Nice Von! But only one fish dead? Smaller charges to scare them away?

Did they run out of bait?

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Poor fishy!
        A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
          Nice Von! But only one fish dead? Smaller charges to scare them away?

Did they run out of bait?

Regards,
          Dennis
          Well,they dropped leaflets warning of the detonation.Unfortunately,that one fish couldn't read.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

He probably had it coming, as a subversive 5th column fish!
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
              Pretty impressive. I looked for that type of mine and found nothing. The article said that the mines would sit on the sea bed and become active when a ship passed. So, my question is, how did it function? Did it use the water displacement/jet to damage ships?
              They were Triggered by either the magnetic field emitted naturally by the ship or 'later in the war' the propeller (accoustic) or water pressure

If the mine went off under the ship, it would either break its back or on some occasions, fracture the ships hull, deck plates, and superstructure; which meant the ship had to be repaired, or in some cases scrapped. This damage was done through the shock of water pressure

Here is a useful link

http://www.goodeveca.net/CFGoodeve/magmine.html

Paul
              Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 13 Mar 10, 13:56.
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Cool, thanks Paul.
                "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by triggerjockey View Post
                  Thinking about the depth of some parts of the Atlantic ocean a mine sitting on the bottom would have to be Bl***y extraordinary to do much damage to a ship before it had moved out of dangers way!! Take it with a pinch of salt fella's, think of the tremendous weight of water over and around it, how BIG was this mine supposed to be anyway? Sounds like some crackpot invention perhaps! Just read Vons piece on the subject and apparently it was a mine dropped in a harbour, now that is a differant cup of tea altogether! Shallow water,now that could do a bit of mischief and crack a couple of windows.
                  Last edited by lcm1; 14 Mar 10, 03:33.
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                  " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                    Thinking about the depth of some parts of the Atlantic ocean a mine sitting on the bottom would have to be Bl***y extraordinary to do much damage to a ship before it had moved out of dangers way!! Take it with a pinch of salt fella's, think of the tremendous weight of water over and around it, how BIG was this mine supposed to be anyway? Sounds like some crackpot invention perhaps!
                    The mines were dropped in major rivers, estuaries or coastal shipping lanes where the waters/continental shelf was shallower than the open ocean.

Paul
                    Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 14 Mar 10, 03:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                      Poor fishy!
                      I wonder if they will give the poor fish a decent funeral...he was in the wrong place at the wrong time
                      "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                      "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                        I wonder if they will give the poor fish a decent funeral...he was in the wrong place at the wrong time
                        Here is a good send off that would be fitting for our poor Gadus morhua, or Atlantic Cod.(that is if it was a Cod)

Cod Steaks with Mushrooms and Pink Peppercorns

ingredients

serves 4
                        4 - 8 cod steaks, depending on size 140 ml (1/4 pint) white wine

1 bay leaf
                        2 shallots, finely chopped
                        30 g (1 oz) butter or margarine
                        180 g (6 oz) mushrooms, sliced
                        30 g (1 oz) flour
                        140 ml (1/4 pint) milk
                        2 tsps pink peppercorns
                        2 tsps chopped parsley
                        Grated nutmeg
                        Salt and pepper
                        method
                        1. Put the cod and wine into a casserole with the thin ends of the steaks pointing towards the middle.

2. Add the bay leaf and shallot. Cover loosely and cook for 6 minutes on HIGH. Leave covered and set aside.

3. Melt the butter in a small bowl for 30 seconds on HIGH. Add the mushrooms, cover loosely and cook for 1 minute on HIGH to soften slightly

4. Stir in the flour and milk and strain on the cooking liquid from the fish. Add the peppercorns, parsley, a pinch of grated nutmeg and salt and pepper.

5. Cook, uncovered, for 2 - 3 minutes on HIGH, stirring often until thickened.

6. Remove the skin and bone from the cod steaks if desired and spoon over some of the sauce to serve. Serve the remaining sauce separately

In my tummy; the right place at the right time.

Paul
                        Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 14 Mar 10, 05:39.

Comment

Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                          I bet PETA will make sure of that, watch them bomb the RN's headquarters.
                          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                            I bet PETA will make sure of that, watch them bomb the RN's headquarters.
                            lol...PETA already went after Obama with the fly.....
                            "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                            "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              The mines were dropped in major rivers, estuaries or coastal shipping lanes where the waters/continental shelf was shallower than the open ocean.

Paul
                              Which how come we didn't suffer massive losses.

One of the first laying ops with the magnetic mine was carried out on the Themes. The Mine was misdropped, at night, and ended up on a mud bank. It was quickly spotted, made safe and delivered to UK scientists in perfect condition. So they could create counter measures.
                              Winnie says
                              ---------------------------------
                              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                              Herr Flick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X