• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet gunboat sunk by tank destroyer

Soviet gunboat sunk by tank destroyer

Armored gunboat BK-92, sunk by
    a “Ferdinand” tank destroyer
    near Pinsk, 12 June 1944.

You don't hear about a gunboat being taken out by a tank destroyer at all. I would love to read more about this encounter. Anyone know more perhaps? Robert
    For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Well, this crew has them beat! They sank a destroyer in the French campaign....
    Attached Files

Comment

Well, Polish 37 mm AT gun with barrel set on maximum elevation shot down Soviet spy plain during September Campaing, so everything is possible.
      "[...]

While Brittania's Huns with their long-range guns
      Sailed in through the foggy dew.

[...]"

Comment

Audie Murphy once destroyed an entire panzer division armed only with a can opener.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
          Audie Murphy once destroyed an entire panzer division armed only with a can opener.
          Sounds like a Macguver.
          In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
          - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
            After reading that article I wouldn't have disagreed if someone told me that he alone won WW2.
            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Well, this crew has them beat! They sank a destroyer in the French campaign....
              Nope.. While a couple of Allied destroyers were damaged by fire from German shore based units during the campaign none were sunk.

Comment

The PzIV did not sink a destroyer. A single tank (or a Squadron) Would be severely tested by return fire from any ship it was unwise enough to engage.
                There it not the remotest chance an active, prepared and fully functioning ship could be sunk by a single short barreled 75mm tank.
                The basis of this claim seems to be the actions of Wild Swann(D62), Venomous(D75) and Venetia(D53) near Dunkirk. Whilst evacuating Allied troops from Boulogne on 23/5/40 engaged some German tanks in the harbour area. It is reported that the guns of these Destroyers were very effective when used against ground targets. All 3 ships recieved some damage but none were sunk and they made it back home.

Comment

So?I 'm taking it that no one knows anymore about the incident ? Robert
                  For the first time I have seen "History" at close quarters,and I know that its actual process is very different from what is presented to Posterity. - WWI General Max Hoffman

Comment

You know, that's not exactly an aircraft carrier but a small boat displacing probably 100 tons. Armor piercing rounds fired at the hull would probably not be effective, but a HE hit at the waterline is enough TNT to blow a jagged hole 4 or 5 feet in diameter and impossible for the sailors to plug quickly. The vessel would fill with water and settle on the bottom. No rocket science.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I got one for you-
                      The ex-French L'Iphigenie was taken over by the Italians and then commandeered by the Germans, but it didn't last long. On 10 Sept 1943, it was hit by gunfire from Italian tanks and damaged so badly that it had to be beached at Piombino... wherever that is.

This vessel was no gunboat; 610 tons, two 100mm guns, two 37mm and fourteen 20mm AA, and capable of 34 knots. Taken down by Italian tanks... go figure, eh?

Comment

http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/6064.html

"Sunk on 10 September 1943 at Piombino by Italian motor torpedo boats and gunfire from Italian tanks".

Lots of info in this thread. As you will note exact date is a bit hazy but the tanks seem to have been but a minor player in the demise of the (several) German ships.
                        http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1763
                        Last edited by m kenny; 13 Mar 10, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                          You know, that's not exactly an aircraft carrier but a small boat displacing probably 100 tons. Armor piercing rounds fired at the hull would probably not be effective, but a HE hit at the waterline is enough TNT to blow a jagged hole 4 or 5 feet in diameter and impossible for the sailors to plug quickly. The vessel would fill with water and settle on the bottom. No rocket science.
                          No. Its not rocket science . I would assume that was how it was sunk. What were the circumstances of the incident. How did the encounter came about? Did the T-34 turret fire back in return? Any Hits? Information like that. I find it interesting that a " “Ferdinand” tank destroyer" was able to engage in combat with a gunboat. You don't hear about that happening often. Robert

Comment

Originally posted by JCFalkenbergIII View Post
                            Soviet gunboat sunk by tank destroyer

Armored gunboat BK-92, sunk by
                            a “Ferdinand” tank destroyer
                            near Pinsk, 12 June 1944.
                            I checked. sPzAbt 653 spent April-July 1944 in the area of Brzezany which is west of Tarnopol
                            Pinsk is around 200 miles north of Tarnopol.
                            There is no mention of any such incident in the Munch book on sPz.Abt. 653.
                            sPz.Abt. 654 were in Normandy with Jagdpanthers in June 1944.
                            That about covers all the 1944 'Ferdinands' I know of and in June 1943 (in case of a 'date mix up' claim) they were much further east and at Kursk.

Comment

Originally posted by m kenny View Post
                              I checked. sPzAbt 653 spent April-July 1944 in the area of Brzezany which is west of Tarnopol
                              Pinsk is around 200 miles north of Tarnopol.
                              There is no mention of any such incident in the Munch book on sPz.Abt. 653.
                              sPz.Abt. 654 were in Normandy with Jagdpanthers in June 1944.
                              That about covers all the 1944 'Ferdinands' I know of and in June 1943 (in case of a 'date mix up' claim) they were much further east and at Kursk.
                              Thanks m kenny. I was wondering too which unit it could have been. Robert

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X