WW2 Military blunders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Military blunders

OK gents, let's use this thread to list the blunders made during WW2. It can be on the German side or Allies doesn't matter. And on top of listing the battle or event, list the commander as well.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Dieppe
    Singapore
    Stalingrad
    Maginot Line
    Kursk
    Winter War
    Italian Army
    French Army

Well that's a few to stir things up.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Dieppe, now that is my blunder of choice. We all know the results. The horrible price paid by the Canadians on the beaches of Dieppe.

Commanders: Maj Gen Roberts

Planners: Monty

Overall Commander: Lord Louis Mountbatten

Comment

Dunkirk - Goering's promises to destroy the BEF on the beaches and Hitler's infamous "halt order".

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Pearl Harbor. It guaranteed the destruction of Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
            Dieppe, now that is my blunder of choice. We all know the results. The horrible price paid by the Canadians on the beaches of Dieppe.

Except from what was learned at Dieppe made Overlord successful. So while the price was steep in Canadians, Commandoes and Rangers; the results from it made the price a little bit easier to carry.

Cheers!

:armed:
            Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Military as opposed to Political. Drats; that leaves out Hitler declaring War on the US.

Hmmmmmm. Going to have to think on this one a bit.

Midway.

CIC: Yamamoto, Isoruko

Faults: Extremely complicated plan. Ignored faults pointed out in War Gaming the plan. Failed to coordinate fleet elements to best ability. Relied to much on luck. Failed to consider what the United States could do and planned on what they SHOULD do.

For two little islands in the Pacific Ocean; Japan lost the war.

Cheers!

Attached Files

Comment

Dieppe may have helped make Overlord successful. But so did Torch, Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, Tarawa (blunders?) etc. But Dieppe was quite the fiasco, I agree. And the Canadians got the short-end of the stick. Again. Makes you wonder.... do the Brits habitually misuse the Canadians?

Comment

Crete-Germany distrusted her Airborne forces
                  Dieppe-Raids are not easy especially against a fortified foe.
                  Market-Garden- I believe this put the Allies in position for the Ardennes Offensive.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by Air Pirate
                    Dieppe may have helped make Overlord successful. But so did Torch, Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, Tarawa (blunders?) etc. But Dieppe was quite the fiasco, I agree. And the Canadians got the short-end of the stick. Again. Makes you wonder.... do the Brits habitually misuse the Canadians?
                    This has and always will be a contentious issue with me. Dieppe 42, Hong Kong 41 (albeit under British command but Canadian Regiments ordered to Hong Kong by the Canadian Govt), the breaching of the Moro river, the Gully, Ortona ( Major Gen Vokes under immense pressure by Monty to take Ortona whatever the cost and to beat the Americans into Rome). WW1, well there is Ypres, Somme, Vimy, Passchendaele, the Hindenburg Line, Mons ( also albeit Haig treated all his troops like cannon fodder), Galipoli....

Comment

This has and always will be a contentious issue with me. Dieppe 42, Hong Kong 41 (albeit under British command but Canadian Regiments ordered to Hong Kong by the Canadian Govt), the breaching of the Moro river, the Gully, Ortona ( Major Gen Vokes under immense pressure by Monty to take Ortona whatever the cost and to beat the Americans into Rome). WW1, well there is Ypres, Somme, Vimy, Passchendaele, the Hindenburg Line, Mons ( also albeit Haig treated all his troops like cannon fodder), Galipoli....
                      I didn't know there was Canadians at Galipoli? I thought it was mainly ANZACs. I'm not as super WWI knowledgeable.
                      Can you enlighten me further?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                        I didn't know there was Canadians at Galipoli? I thought it was mainly ANZACs. I'm not as super WWI knowledgeable.
                        Can you enlighten me further?

Cheers!

Yes the Newfoundland Regiment. Although not part of Canada until 1949, this future province of Canada was still part of the British empire and had some sort of autonomous self-governement during WW1 IIRC. This Regiment was seen by the British as "Canadian" for all intense and purposes. This Regiment was destroyed at the Battle of the Somme.

Comment

Yes the Newfoundland Regiment. Although not part of Canada until 1949, this future province of Canada was still part of the British empire and had some sort of autonomous self-governement during WW1 IIRC. This Regiment was seen by the British as "Canadian" for all intense and purposes. This Regiment was destroyed at the Battle of the Somme.
                          Thanks; this is news to me.

Cheers!

Comment

Re: WW2 Military blunders

OK gents, let's use this thread to list the blunders made during WW2. It can be on the German side or Allies doesn't matter. And on top of listing the battle or event, list the commander as well.
                            Other than #1, these are in no particular order.

1. **the winner** Deposing King Peter to make Prince Paul ruler of Yugoslavia. Drew Hitler's attention to an area he hadn't cared much about, led to the end of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia and 60 years of Communist rule and a series of civil wars.

2. The Ardennes Offensive, 16Dec44. Had those troops been used defensively, the war might have lasted 6-8 more months.
                            Same commanders as above.

3. Replacing experienced troops holding the Ardennes by fewer troops who were (depending on division) either worn out or brand new, while the Germans were planning their 16Dec44 offensive. Allied: Bradley. German: von Rundstedt

4. Italian attack on Ethiopia, even more than the other Italian disasters. Ethiopia: Haile Salassie (sp?). Italian: unk.

5. The German Offensive in Hungary, late winter 45. Drained the few resources in the Reich for no practical purpose. Allied: Unk. Geman: Sepp Dietrich.

6. Hitler's orders:
                            a. The "Commissar Order"
                            b. Stripping the cuff bands from the SS divisions in #5, above.
                            c. Declaring Fortress "Frankfurt an der Oder", and then directing the firing of the commander (which was disobeyed).

7. Placing Romanians on the flanks of the 6th Army at Stalingrad. The Romanians were not sufficiently equipped or motivated when the Russians hit, and they broke and ran when the T34s approached. Commanders unknown.

8. Patton's Hammelburg raid. Allied: Patton. German: unk.

9. Himmler as Commander of Army Group Vistula.

JS
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                              Crete-Germany distrusted her Airborne forces
                              Dieppe-Raids are not easy especially against a fortified foe.
                              Market-Garden- I believe this put the Allies in position for the Ardennes Offensive.
                              I always considered the Airborne assault of Crete a pretty good operation even if the Airborne forces suffered very heavy losses, but still managed to secure the island.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X