Hitler's meddling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitler's meddling

Here's a question: Given Hitler's meddling in military matters would the outcome of World War Two been different had his commanders had more discretion?
    B. FETT

I don't really think so, the war would probably have gone on longer. No one in Germany thought he was meddling until they started losing at the end of 1942. By this time there was just to much lined up against Germany. If he would have bowed out and let his Generals command at this time I think the best they could have hoped for was a better fighting retreat. And that way by August of 1945 we would have dropped the bomb on Berlin first.

Comment

^^^agreed. My thoughts exactly.

Skoal!

Comment

I actually think that if Hitler listened to his commanders, Rommel in particualr the war might have turned out different. He was so stubborn that he just basically ignored or had his generals hanged or shot because he didn't like what they were saying!!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
        Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Re: Hitler's meddling

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomas McPeek
          Here's a question: Given Hitler's meddling in military matters would the outcome of World War Two been different had his commanders had more discretion? [/
          Rommel was one of Hitlers most able leaders.
          If Rommel had the troops and supplies needed in North Africa he might have been able to keep the Allied Forces busy longer and could have changed the course of the war. At Normandy Rommel wanted the panzer forces brought from Calais but Hitler said no.
          Rommel was one who had the ability to be clever and without
          Hitlers meddling might have been able to succeed.
          Attached Files

Comment

And he was dashingly handsome. :thumb:

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tiger1
              I don't really think so, the war would probably have gone on longer. No one in Germany thought he was meddling until they started losing at the end of 1942. By this time there was just to much lined up against Germany. If he would have bowed out and let his Generals command at this time I think the best they could have hoped for was a better fighting retreat. And that way by August of 1945 we would have dropped the bomb on Berlin first. [ Hitlers early victories such as his ability to defeat France made him looked at as sort of a hero to his soldiers,however some even in his inner circle knew that a longterm war could not be won by Germany,and Hitler had to be stopped.
              My thoughts are that in time his hunger for more territory would have done him in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Storm
                And he was dashingly handsome. :thumb:
                it runs in the family....lol.

Skoal!

Comment

Re: Re: Hitler's meddling

Originally posted by james hansen
                  Rommel was one of Hitlers most able leaders.
                  If Rommel had the troops and supplies needed in North Africa he might have been able to keep the Allied Forces busy longer and could have changed the course of the war. At Normandy Rommel wanted the panzer forces brought from Calais but Hitler said no.
                  Rommel was one who had the ability to be clever and without
                  Hitlers meddling might have been able to succeed.
                  Yeah, Rommel could have and probably would have won in N. Africa if he was given enough supplies. Rommel did well with what he had. He couldn't do much really with several dozen tanks and Italian infantry . lol

Skoal!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Hitler's meddling

Originally posted by nreese21
                    Yeah, Rommel could have and probably would have won in N. Africa if he was given enough supplies. Rommel did well with what he had. He couldn't do much really with several dozen tanks and Italian infantry . lol

Skoal!
                    They tried to supply Rommel, the trouble was the Allies had broken the Germans code. This became known as Ultra. The Allies knew when the ships were going to sail before the ships captains knew. The Italians were losing whole convoys trying to cross the Med in an effort to supply the Afrika Korps.

Comment

If he were more lenient, I think Rommel would have gotten his way in many areas and would have changed the tide of many battles.
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X