Happy D-Day Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy D-Day Everyone!

As I type this, it's just gone midnight here in the UK - and it's now officially the 60th anniversary of "D-Day".

60 years ago Britush soldiers flying Horsa Gliders, in the darkness and with no instruments, were just 16 minutes away from landing near Pegasus Bridge, and initiating the first combat of this momentous day. Less than 15 minutes after that, the first French soil was liberated and the bridges secured with only two fatalities amongst the Allied troops.

Planes full of Paratroopers were already on the way to drop men all over Normandy to secure the flanks of the beachheads.

A vast flotilla of ships and landing craft full of British, American and Canadian soldiers was slowly edging its way towards the Normandy coastline.

In about 6 hours, it will be exactly 60 years since the first troops started hitting the beaches.

A toast to the fallen.

Happy D-Day everyone!

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

We've got about 11 hours here.

Comment

Hey - the clock on this site is slow...it says I posted that at 11:59.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

As we come up on the 60th anniversary of this great crusade it brings to mind the amount of gratitude we owe to all who were a part of this mission. Soldiers on both sides suffered greatly,and to take time to reflect and remember means so much to those who are still alive,and to the families of those vets who are gone. I have heard many reporters on telivision this week call WW2 "the good war". To the soldiers who were there and who bear the scars today of this heroic chapter in history may feel that the term "good war" should be replaced with the term "essential war". To end the evil that was holding Europe hostage at this time it was essential for these young men to drive it out.
        I salute all who were involved,and lets never forget what sacrifice they all had to go thru so we could keep freedom alive.

:thumb: Thank You!

Comment

We still have about three hours for all of us who live in EST. But I'm afraid many of my fellow Canadians will not be recognizing the anniversary because tonight Calgary has a chance at taking the Cup and if they do it tonight, D-Day will be almost completely overlooked.
          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

at 6:00 Saturday, 60 Years ago exactly, thats when the airborne forces arrived. at 12:00, 60years ago exactly, the ground forces arrived.

(these are CST times)

Comment

Originally posted by Napoleon
              We still have about three hours for all of us who live in EST. But I'm afraid many of my fellow Canadians will not be recognizing the anniversary because tonight Calgary has a chance at taking the Cup and if they do it tonight, D-Day will be almost completely overlooked.
              No, they blew it, the buggers.

The D-Day celebrations are on TV all day. I've posted another article on the main page detailing some of the happenings during the invasion.

God bless all our boys!
              "When I am abroad I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the Government of my country. I make up for lost time when I am at home."

Winston Churchill

Comment

No words could ever explain the gratitude I feel for those who have fought for the freedoms I enjoy. Happy 60th anniversary everyone
                B. FETT

Comment

Cheers!

Comment

Happy D-Day!!

Living in Houston, I had the honor of going to the Battleship Texas that is moored in the San Jacinto battleground park today. It was great to honor the men who fought that day as I walked on one of the ships blasting the beaches before the landings.

BigMik1
                    "Cry Havoc!! and let slip the dogs of war!!!"
                    -Mark Anthony in Willam Shakespeare "Julius Caesar" (1599)

Comment

now I feel forlorn

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21
                        now I feel forlorn
                        Who's Lorn?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Happy D-Day Everyone!

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                          As I type this, it's just gone midnight here in the UK - and it's now officially the 60th anniversary of "D-Day".

60 years ago Britush soldiers flying Horsa Gliders, in the darkness and with no instruments, were just 16 minutes away from landing near Pegasus Bridge, and initiating the first combat of this momentous day. Less than 15 minutes after that, the first French soil was liberated and the bridges secured with only two fatalities amongst the Allied troops.

Planes full of Paratroopers were already on the way to drop men all over Normandy to secure the flanks of the beachheads.

A vast flotilla of ships and landing craft full of British, American and Canadian soldiers was slowly edging its way towards the Normandy coastline.

In about 6 hours, it will be exactly 60 years since the first troops started hitting the beaches.

A toast to the fallen.

Happy D-Day everyone!

Dr. S.
                          :thumb: Hear, hear...
                          Attached Files
                          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X