Is the new WW2 Memorial Good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the new WW2 Memorial Good enough?

Do you feel the new WW2 Memorial in Washington D.C. is an appropriate tribute to those who fought and died in the 20th Century's greatest conflict?
    Yes, it is perfect.
    16.67%
    Yes, but they deserved better.
    83.33%
    No, it's too little too late.
    0.00%
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Brian I think that the WWII memorial in DC serves as a great tribute to all those Americans who died during the second world war, but the real question is what do they think??

Thanks

CURRAHEE
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

My choice isn't there. It is good, but not soon enough. There are countless local memorials to the men and women who served in WW II. Not until now was there one at a national level to give the tribute and honor deserved to so many. It is unfortunate that it took almost 60 years for it to come to fruition.
      Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Today's Washington Post posed this question to many of the veterans in town for Memorial Day and the consensus is pretty much this:

The architechs can argue over the details of the design of the memorial, the veterans are just happy it finally came to fruition. They're proud of it, though it should have happened sooner.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

It's great, wish my Dad could have seen it.

Comment

I'm just curious why did it take almost 60 years to have the Memorial? Is it only for WW2? Does the USA have a WW1 Memorial or a Korea Memorial?

Here in Ottawa we have a Memorial for all three wars with a tomb of the unknown soldier. There is also a Memorial to Peacekeeping.
            http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Canadian War Memorial Ottawa

Here is our War memorial:
              Attached Files

Comment

Peacekeeping Memorial

Here is our Peacekeeping Memorial in Ottawa:
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes there is a korean war and Vietnam momorial however sadly they are not as big as this new one I guess sadly Americans dont want to remember those Vets as much as the ww2 vets even thought they were just as brave

It makes me sad to know people whould rather remember ww2 vets but not the equally brave Veitnam and Korean war Vets

Comment

Actually, I think the Vietnam memorial, while smaller than the WW2 memorial has the names of all the fallen....it is simple and very moving. The Korean memorial is interesting and those certainly deserve a fitting memorial for the "forgotten" war. You say we rather would remember the WW2 veterans when we've had a Vietnam memorial for decades before the WW2 memorial.....
                    Pvt. Bob Mana,
                    Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Comment

Originally posted by eagle101
                      Brian I think that the WWII memorial in DC serves as a great tribute to all those Americans who died during the second world war, but the real question is what do they think??

Thanks

CURRAHEE
                      Only out of high school a week, and already this mature. I think I'm going to cry -- our little Panzerboy/Eagle101 is growing up so fast!

You hit it right on the head Eagle 101!

JS
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

I think anyone who picks nits with the look and detail of the WW II memorial should just go away...

Not that I have been scouring the news, but I have yet to hear a single vet complain about any facet of the memorial. Our local paper has mostly focused on the vets, not the memorial, as it should be. Which brings me to the point of size (no innuendo intended).

What matters the size of the memorial, so long as it exists and conveys its meaning? I have yet to see the WW II memorial in person. I have however seen the Korean and Vietnam memorials. Not once did I ever think they could have been done larger or better. There very existence was enough to give me pause for thought. Isn't that why we have memorials?

The Viet memorial works quite well at being a somber reminder of what was lost in Vietnam. I do not recall any Viet vet I know to ever say anything negative about the memorial. The same goes true for the Korean memorial. The thing I like most about the Korean memorial is that you could immerse yourself into the squad, as it walks to its unknown destination. Very powerful.

Gone are the days when generals on horseback represent the wars fought. Welcome are the memorials which focus on the men and women who risked life and limb in the service of their nations.

Keep the focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
                          I think anyone who picks nits with the look and detail of the WW II memorial should just go away...

Not that I have been scouring the news, but I have yet to hear a single vet complain about any facet of the memorial. Our local paper has mostly focused on the vets, not the memorial, as it should be. Which brings me to the point of size (no innuendo intended).

What matters the size of the memorial, so long as it exists and conveys its meaning? I have yet to see the WW II memorial in person. I have however seen the Korean and Vietnam memorials. Not once did I ever think they could have been done larger or better. There very existence was enough to give me pause for thought. Isn't that why we have memorials?

The Viet memorial works quite well at being a somber reminder of what was lost in Vietnam. I do not recall any Viet vet I know to ever say anything negative about the memorial. The same goes true for the Korean memorial. The thing I like most about the Korean memorial is that you could immerse yourself into the squad, as it walks to its unknown destination. Very powerful.

Gone are the days when generals on horseback represent the wars fought. Welcome are the memorials which focus on the men and women who risked life and limb in the service of their nations.

Keep the focus.
                          Very nicely put Iron Mike. Bravo!!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Iron Mike said it very well.

One other thought struck in reading this thread. WWII, unlike Korea and Nam, involved an entire generation. The magnitude of the effort and the magnitude of the results are something that have only, and could only really be fully appreciated in the last 20 years.

The focus of the memorial itself and the focus of ceremonies, small local ones to the larger regional or national ones, have focused on those who lost their lives or their youth in the war.

Watching, and reading over the weekend I am starting to look on the WWII Memorial, sitting between Lincoln and Washington, as something more. It woiuld seem to represent the high point of American development as a society and country. While meant for those who took part in battle, the battle was truly everywhere. It completely engulfed the GI's, Nurses, the female air transport pilots, the millions of Rosies, and the children who lost family, parents, and did without. The monument is for everyone who lived then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X