Fighting With The Screaming Eagles: From Normandy to Bastonge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting With The Screaming Eagles: From Normandy to Bastonge

I'm putting this thread on here because I believe that this is a book every WWII Buff should read. The name of the book is Fighting With the Screaming Eagles by Robert bowen. The book is about the 401 glider infantry regiment. Robert Bowen was in that regiment and tells the his epic story of WWII in great details. He tells it soo good you can put yourself in his shoes. He starts with training and goes all the way through D-day to Bastonge!

The reason I'm posting this here is that not everone checks the hobbies page, and this is a way to get the information out there more easily.

Thanks
    GREAT READ
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    CURAHEE
    Attached Files
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

dang the re-enactment unit I want to join does both E Co. 2/506 and the 401st Glider.... I didn't choose it because of BoB, they are the closest, non-hardcore unit in the area.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Did you read the book?

IF not you Should!

Thanks
      :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

CURAHEE
      Peter Williams

Comment

It's hard to keep up with all of the books written by former members of the 101st. I'll add that one to my list.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Hey lance heres a link

Lance you really should check it out great book not to expensive!

www.half.com

That website sells books at a much lower price than the retail price!!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
          Peter Williams

Comment

Re: Hey lance heres a link

Originally posted by panzerboy
            Lance you really should check it out great book not to expensive!

www.half.com

That website sells books at a much lower price than the retail price!!

Thanks

CURRAHEE
            Thanks for the link. The prices are certainly very inexpensive.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

You're welcome, anytime

You buying it?

thanks

CURRAHEE
              Peter Williams

Comment

Most over covered 'Anglo-sphere' WW2 topics?

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                It's hard to keep up with all of the books written by former members of the 101st. I'll add that one to my list.
                Latest in my review of all threads since Day One.

Good point here.
                Is 101 AB the most 'over-covered' US outfit in WW2?

Lots of other US Army (including P(F)ilipino)and Marine Divisions had distinguished combat records but you hear little of them and almost none have mini-series, movies, docos etc made about them.

Speaking of 'over-coverage' (in some cases read over-hyped):

Let's limit here to the ‘Anglo-sphere’ as it’s manageable and reasonably well-known (though, that DOES NOT make it more important!).

. Most over-covered ‘Anglo’ campaign?.... D-Day/Breakout?

. Most over-covered American land battle? .... Bulge? See my thread on ‘which battle gave the Germans more breathing space Market Garden or the Bulge?’(lodestar edict and all that).

. Most over-covered Brit land battle? .... Probably Arnhem. See my thread on 'What the Germans did right in Market Garden' before responding please (lodestar edict and all that).

. Most over-covered weapon system? ……. Spitfire, P51, Lancaster?

. Most over-covered WWII ‘Anglo’ personality? …. Patton, Monty?

. Most over-covered controversy… Delaying D-Day, (See my thread on 'Was D-Day massively over-insured?' before responding please (lodestar edict and all that), Dresden, Hiroshima/Nagasaki

Any other categories?

Regards lodestar

Comment

101st did do a glorious job at Normandy and Market Garden and Bastogne, gotta admit. But they never had a movie named after them like "The Big Red One". And I think the Marines have more books about them, like With the Old Breed. :bow:
                  Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                  Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                  For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                  And battles long ago:
                  -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                    101st did do a glorious job at Normandy and Market Garden and Bastogne, gotta admit. But they never had a movie named after them like "The Big Red One". And I think the Marines have more books about them, like With the Old Breed. :bow:
                    They did an outstanding job, considering some of their elements went up against Fallschirmjäger Regiment 6.
                    "You hit somebody with your fist and not with your fingers spread." -Heinz Guderian.

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                      Any other categories?
                      Most over-covered small unit: Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

I hate to say that because E - 2/506 was a great company that did an outstanding job. But Band of Brothers and subsequent books by other E Co members have had such popularity that the average citizen who is only vaguely familiar with WWII thinks there was only one Easy Company and their understanding of the 101st doesn't go much beyond that. They don't realize there were nine rifle companies in each regiment and four regiments in the 101st.
                      "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

Comment

Most over-covered American land battle? .... Bulge?
                        Iwo Jima. Because of the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi.

That isn't meant to be anti-USMC. Marines at places like Saipan and Peleliu (among many other places) had tough fights too.

Comment

Most over-covered WWII ‘Anglo’ personality? …. Patton, Monty?
                          At the time? Probabley. Since WWII? JFK.

Comment

Is 101 AB the most 'over-covered' US outfit in WW2?

Lots of other US Army (including P(F)ilipino)and Marine Divisions had distinguished combat records but you hear little of them and almost none have mini-series, movies, docos etc made about them.
                            The Phillpino division surrendered early in the war . The scouts there did well, but it was Regimental-sized at best.

The 1st Infantry Divsion warranted its own movie.

The Second Rangers warranted its own movie, one of the biggest Hollywood productions of its day.

the 442nd RCT had its own movie within the last decade.

Likewise the Marines have had extensive Hollywood and documentary coverage during and since the war, ranging from movies, TV series, documentaries, books, etc. I just watched a movie about the 6th MarDiv. Recently they had a HBO mini-series that was easily the equal of Band of Brothers.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X