101st in Berlin???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101st in Berlin???

Do you think the 101st should have been dropped into berlin??

Thanks
    :thumb: :thumb:
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Re: 101st in berlin???

Originally posted by panzerboy
    Do you think the 101st should have been dropped into berlin??

Thanks
    :thumb: :thumb:
    No; they would have been slaughtered. You're talking urban combat with lightly equipped paratroops against regular infantry, armour, ad hoc battlegroups, flak towers, etc. There was no need to sacrifice the Airborne that way. Here is a link that discusses the flaktowers.
    http://www.richmond.edu/~wgreen/Ecdflak.htm

Cheers!

Attached Files
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

There was a plan, subsequently shelved, for Allied airborne troops to seize Berlin in a coup de main operation.

The objectives for this portion of Operation Eclipse consisted of the following.
      The 101st Abn was to drop on Gatow airfield, west of the city.
      A British Abn Bde was to take Oranienburg airfield.
      82nd Abn was to seize Tempelhof airport.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

There's an alternate history novel about the Western Allies going into Berlin after Stalin dies of radiation poisioning (long story) and FDR lives a little longer because he gave up smoking. The 101st is dropped in Berlin and the Russians and Americans meet in the middle of Berlin, with Patton leading. Its called Triumph, by Ben Bova I believe. Pretty good read.

As far as feasibility, it seems like it may have worked, with the full support of armies coming in from both directions shortly thereafter. But there's always the possibilty of annhilation in any airborne operation.
        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

IMO the Operation I described above, taken from Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle", could have succeeded.

By the time US forces arrived in Magdeburg, Gen Wenck's 12th Army had by and large moved east to help extricate German forces(9th Army?) from Soviet encirclment. This would have made any move east across the Elbe for a link-up child's play for US 9th Army.
          With the fear that Berliners had of the advancing Soviet forces, the Western Allies could have used this information to good effect by appearing as "protectors" to the population(although this may have caused political problems later).
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Why do US want to capture Berlin before Red Army?

What was reason to risk by lifes of elite Airborne troops?

War was practically over.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey

What was reason to risk by lifes of elite Airborne troops?

War was practically over.

They didn't.
              Eisenhower made the decision to stop short at the Elbe and instead deny Germany the use of the fictitious "National Redoubt" in the Austrian Alps.

This decision was made after Stalin informed Ike that the Soviet main thrust was aimed at Dresden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                They didn't.
                Eisenhower made the decision to stop short at the Elbe and instead deny Germany the use of the fictitious "National Redoubt" in the Austrian Alps.

This decision was made after Stalin informed Ike that the Soviet main thrust was aimed at Dresden.
                You read Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle", I did it also some time ago.

I asked what was reason for Allies to come in Berlin at any price. They didn't do it but they wanted.

Panzerboy, if your grandfather was in 101st Airborne Division will you agree that it was good idea to risk life of your grandpa in situation when this airdrop couldn't significantly approach end of war?

I understand theme of topic so that some guys disagree with decision of Eisenhower and suppose that Western Allies (including 101st AD) could easily to capture Berlin but politicians did't let to do it. So I repeat my question - why did Western Allies have to capture Berlin at any price?

Comment

So I repeat my question - why did Western Allies have to capture Berlin at any price?
                  The Western Allies did not HAVE to capture Berlin at any price; but it's capture by US/British forces would have greatly changed the post-war political scene.

Comment

They didn't do it but they wanted.

Just because plans are made does not mean that the operation is carried out.
                    There are innumerable examples of planning being done without the Op. taking place. This, after all, is the primary function of the commanding officer's staff; planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                      The Western Allies did not HAVE to capture Berlin at any price; but it's capture by US/British forces would have greatly changed the post-war political scene.
                      So if to forget about post-war political scene airdrop of 101st Airborne in Berlin could be only reason of more casualties of West Allied soldiers.

Say "thank you" for Russians who captured Berlin without help of Western Allies and saved lifes of US soldiers.

Comment

Anytime you have an attack against a dug in enemy in a city,your going to take casulties. Sun Tsu said something about multiplying your casulties. (I miss having my computer at home,my reference library was within arm's reach. )
                        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

The Allies had already carved up occupation zones in Germany so other than the atomic research data and materials and other technologies, there was no reason for the Brits and Americans to take Berlin only to hand it over to the Soviets.

I'm not sure what it really would have accomplished other than the killing of more paratroops for (even in hindsight) marginal gain.
                          If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisvalla
                            The Allies had already carved up occupation zones in Germany so other than the atomic research data and materials and other technologies, there was no reason for the Brits and Americans to take Berlin only to hand it over to the Soviets.

I'm not sure what it really would have accomplished other than the killing of more paratroops for (even in hindsight) marginal gain.
                            Excellent words, I meant this.

Comment

Good point

You read Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle", I did it also some time ago.

I asked what was reason for Allies to come in Berlin at any price. They didn't do it but they wanted.

Panzerboy, if your grandfather was in 101st Airborne Division will you agree that it was good idea to risk life of your grandpa in situation when this airdrop couldn't significantly approach end of war?

I understand theme of topic so that some guys disagree with decision of Eisenhower and suppose that Western Allies (including 101st AD) could easily to capture Berlin but politicians did't let to do it. So I repeat my question - why did Western Allies have to capture Berlin at any price?
                              Good point,
                              I would never risk that!!

Thanks

Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X