DVD Alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Alert!

FYI: Perhaps the greatest war movie ever made Battleground has been released to DVD. It's a must have, in my humble opinion, in everybody's library.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Hey Rstory what is battle ground about?

Thanks
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Originally posted by panzerboy
      Hey Rstory what is battle ground about?

Thanks
      The 101st Airborne in Bastogne. Here is the IMDB link for the movie:
      http://imdb.com/title/tt0041163/

It is; I think, one of Ricardo Montalban's first film appearance in the United States.

It's a great fiilm. Well worth buying.

Cheers!

Comment

101st you say I think I might take a stroll down to Media play!!

Thanks
        Peter Williams

Comment

A COuple More Movies

Next week, Sgt. York as well as To Hell And Back will be coming out on dvd.
          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

To Hell and Back

I own TO HELL AND BACK on VHS, never really thought about upgrading it to DVD!!

Thanks
            :thumb:
            Peter Williams

Comment

Re: DVD Alert!

Originally posted by RStory
              FYI: Perhaps the greatest war movie ever made Battleground has been released to DVD. It's a must have, in my humble opinion, in everybody's library.
              I know it's Roach's favourite - must see if we can get it over here.

Dr. S.
              Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: DVD Alert!

Cheers!

Any idea what aspect ratio it will be in? I've only seen it on TV so if its available in "widescreen" that would be a first for me.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: DVD Alert!

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                  Any idea what aspect ratio it will be in? I've only seen it on TV so if its available in "widescreen" that would be a first for me.
                  Oddly enough; I can't find the aspect rating for the region 1 release, but Dr. Sinister look here ----|
                  \/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...580959-5674806

The UK region 2 will be "full screen". I do hope it is widescreen for region 1, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

Oddly enough; I can't find the aspect rating for the region 1 release, but Dr. Sinister look here ----|
                    \/

The UK region 2 will be "full screen". I do hope it is widescreen for region 1, but I'm not holding my breath.
                    Thanks mate, I hadn't got around to looking it up yet, so you've saved me the time. Pity about the full screen though. I'll tell Roach anyway, maybe pick up a copy myself.

Dr. S.
                    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
                      Thanks mate, I hadn't got around to looking it up yet, so you've saved me the time. Pity about the full screen though. I'll tell Roach anyway, maybe pick up a copy myself.

Dr. S.
                      No fears, Mate. I think you should get one too; I can't rate the movie highly enough.

Cheers!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

I can't rate the movie highly enough.
                        I absolutely agree.

This is the one war movie I have been waiting for to arrive on DVD; it may not be an all action blood and guts movie but the characters have GI stamped all over them.

I had in fact noticed that this one was on the way; my only disappointment was that it is in black and white. I do have on videotape a colorised (yes Dr. S, I know I spelt that in 'American'/17th Century English!) version that I have only ever seen broadcast once and was lucky enough to catch. I had been hopeful that the DVD might be colorised but hey ho, I guess you can't have everything...

Hmm... now that surely can't be right...
                        Vote Sinister. Failing That, Vote Ghastly - It Makes Sense

www.ghastlyco.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

Originally posted by Roach

I had in fact noticed that this one was on the way; my only disappointment was that it is in black and white. I do have on videotape a colorised.
                          I actually prefer the black & white to the colourised. Gives it a more documentary feel to the movie. But it is a Baskin's Robbins world.

Cheers, Mate!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

\/

Cheers!

You know the more I think about it in 1949 I'm not sure "widescreen" had hit the movie industry.
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD Alert!

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                              You know the more I think about it in 1949 I'm not sure "widescreen" had hit the movie industry.
                              Actually, I was wondering this myself. IMDB.com lists the aspect ratio for Battleground at 1.37:1. I think TV broadcasts are at 4:3 (1.33:1) so it doesn't sound like there would be a widescreen version - or if there is, it's not as it was originally meant to be - either they stretched the picture or did the old trick of adding black boxes to the top and bottom of the picture to make it look like widescreen (don't laugh, this has been done with some edited reprints of films).

Here's a link. Go to Technical Specs.

IMDB.com - Battleground

There IS, as Roach said, a colourised version available - they did the colourisation with a computer (apparently).

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X