World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. opens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. opens

US veterans of the Second World War finally have a monument of their own in Washington D.C.. Long overdue.

Full Story
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Re: World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. opens

Originally posted by Brian King
    US veterans of the Second World War finally have a monument of their own in Washington D.C.. Long overdue.

Full Story
    Way overdue, like 60 years!!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

I'm going

I'm going on June 3 to see the monument!!

It's about time to see the Hero's get their warm welcome!!
      :thumb:
      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Here's to all the WWII veterans! Sorry our country couldn't get you a monument when more of y'all would be all to see it.
        "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

At least this will make the rememberance of those who served (at home and abroad) more "permanent". God Bless them all!!
          "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
          General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

Originally posted by tetsuko47
            At least this will make the rememberance of those who served (at home and abroad) more "permanent". God Bless them all!!
            cheers to that!!

Mark
            Deo Vindice
            Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Well the Marine vetrans had the picture of the second flag rasing over Iwo Jima which got turned into a Bronze statue. So i gues you could call that a monument to WW2 but i guess this new one accounts for more than just the Marine corps.

I wish i had the money to go but i'm just a poor guy which has to many papers to do.

Comment

Re: World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. opens

Originally posted by Brian King

And well deserved. It is a terrible shame and an abomination that so many WWII vets passed away waiting to see it become reality. It is inexcusable the poor recognition given to our combat veterans specifically, and veterans in general. In the words of some other person (George C. Scott in "Taps", I believe) "The Military is like a big guard dog. When it is downstairs in the middle of the night, guarding against intruders, you're happy its there. But when visitors come, you smack it on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and lock it under the stairs."

"We who do so much with so little for so many . . . ."
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

World War II monument

Originally posted by dannybou View Post
                  Way overdue, like 60 years!!
                  After a NYC and European holiday hiatus lodestar is presenting, as promised, another in the series of reviews of all threads on the forum from day one.

The monument has now been open nearly a decade.

What exactly was the delay due to? I thought it would have been built about 1950!

Regards lodestar

Comment

What is going on?? Explain please!!

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                    After a NYC and European holiday hiatus lodestar is presenting, as promised, another in the series of reviews of all threads on the forum from day one.

The monument has now been open nearly a decade.

What exactly was the delay due to? I thought it would have been built about 1950!

Regards lodestar
                    "A lodestar review of a nine year old thread has to date, garnered no additional responses!!

Is there anyone, I mean anyone, on this forum who does not cling to my every utterance, cherish my every sentence and is not simply in awe of being in my ‘Cyber Presence’?

So what has happened?

Are you guys plotting against me?
                    Have I become a bore?
                    Are you starting to think: 'Why can't I do things like
                    lodestar
                    does them? I give up.'
                    Have your mothers taken ill?
                    Have you all got better things to do?

All of the above?

Let me remind you all: "It would be wise for you to willingly follow my commands rather than show disobedience or impertinence." "

Come now, "World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. opens"
                    One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Maybe because it has been a big deal here when the Federal Government closed it due to budgetary warfare, claiming lack of funds

http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2013/10/04/

Maybe they thought it was about that
                      Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                      Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                      For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                      And battles long ago:
                      -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

Connection to WWII Memorial?????

Originally posted by Desiree Clary View Post
                        Maybe because it has been a big deal here when the Federal Government closed it due to budgetary warfare, claiming lack of funds

http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/2013/10/04/

Maybe they thought it was about that
                        Not very good with links and clicking I'm afraid. Don't get what this one means?
                        Which 'left' is the animated female character referring to?
                        The American domestic left?
                        Is there a another link it leads to?

Regards lodestar (all lost in this loathsome modern world)

Comment

Yes, the Democratic party in general. The Administration shut down all "unnecessary" services, such as the World War Two memorial to get at the Republican Party for not approving its bloated budget. The effort boomeranged, however, giving the administration somewhat of a public relations black eye.. The Memorial is now open again
                          Will no one tell me what she sings?--
                          Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
                          For old, unhappy, far-off things,
                          And battles long ago:
                          -William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"

Comment

WWII Memorial shutdown a leftie plot??!!

Yes, the Democratic party in general. The Administration shut down all "unnecessary" services, such as the World War Two memorial to get at the Republican Party for not approving its bloated budget. The effort boomeranged, however, giving the administration somewhat of a public relations black eye.. The Memorial is now open again
                            Are you referring to the recent US federal government shutdown over the budget measures approval issue?
                            I thought the American public placed more blame on the GOP than the democrats for that?

I was overseas recently so couldn't follow the news as easily as I can when I'm home. Are there any good BALANCED [Not FOX, Not FOX!!] news sites on the 'Net'?
                            Access to the Net seems to be easier now days than access to TV!!
                            Bloody incredible!!
                            Now, if I do return to volunteer assistant tutoring I don't know whether to encourage charges to use Net news services or just follow my old cronies advice and do full-scale demolition job on the 'whole rotten edifice'!!

Regards lodestar

Comment

The effort boomeranged, however, giving the administration somewhat of a public relations black eye.. The Memorial is now open again
                              Not the perception here, Susan. Our media coverage seemed to suggest the Tea Party wing copped a PR hiding and Ted Cruz' stunt backfired.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X