WW2 Memorial a reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Memorial a reality

This memorial day weekend in May will have a bit more memory than others. On that warm May Sunday a few weeks from now, thousands will gather to dedicate the new WW2 memorial on the national mall in Washington, D.C. There is a great amount of debate about the memorial, it even being called a "Hitler monstrosity" refering to its design. Others feel that was long overdue and is a tribute to those who served. I found this article on Military.com

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...tml?ESRC=eb.nl

Personally, I feel that we needed a memorial, because WW2 was a pivotal event in our nation's history. I don't think you can ever please 100% of the people, but if you don't like the design.....it's the thought that counts....(I just don't like the idea that Clinton dedicated the site )
    Pvt. Bob Mana,
    Co. B, 3rd Maryland Vol. Infantry, 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Corps, Union Army of the Potomac

For the Union

Re: WW2 Memorial a reality

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
    This memorial day weekend in May will have a bit more memory than others. On that warm May Sunday a few weeks from now, thousands will gather to dedicate the new WW2 memorial on the national mall in Washington, D.C. There is a great amount of debate about the memorial, it even being called a "Hitler monstrosity" refering to its design. Others feel that was long overdue and is a tribute to those who served. I found this article on Military.com

Personally, I feel that we needed a memorial, because WW2 was a pivotal event in our nation's history. I don't think you can ever please 100% of the people, but if you don't like the design.....it's the thought that counts....(I just don't like the idea that Clinton dedicated the site )
    This is what worries me:

Only 4 million of the 16 million Americans who fought in the war are still alive, and they are dying at a rate of 1,056 a day.

Eventually, the veterans will have all passed and it will be up to amateur and professional historians like us to make certain that our youngsters never forget.
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: WW2 Memorial a reality

Originally posted by dannybou
      ...Eventually, the veterans will have all passed and it will be up to amateur and professional historians like us to make certain that our youngsters never forget.
      Perhaps if we called ourselves citizens or patriots, the lesson may be better learned by our children?
      Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

I have driven past the site of the new WW II memorial in D.C. many times as it has been constructed. Now that many of the work fences have been removed you can see the granduer of the memorial. I hope it becomes a popular tourist destination, because it is about time WW II veterans have something to commemorate their sacrifices.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I will be visiting the WWII mermorial in june on our first family trip to Washington DC. I will try to take some pictures and post them on this thread!!

Thanks
          Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Surviving US vets

Originally posted by dannybou View Post
            This is what worries me:

Only 4 million of the 16 million Americans who fought in the war are still alive, and they are dying at a rate of 1,056 a day.

Eventually, the veterans will have all passed and it will be up to amateur and professional historians like us to make certain that our youngsters never forget.
            Hmmmmm... latest in my review of all posts from Day One.
            As nine years have passed does anyone have figures on surviving US vets?

Lodestar’s stupidity and ignorance amazed virtually everyone: for the first twenty years of his life he believed a Manilla Folder referred to a Filipino contortionist!!

Comment

No response to a lodestar post... a universe in turmoil!

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
              Hmmmmm... latest in my review of all posts from Day One.
              As nine years have passed does anyone have figures on surviving US vets?
              Errrr........ I'm waiting.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD View Post

They probably picked Bill,because he is fast running out of erections? lcm1
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou View Post
                  This is what worries me:

No sweat Danny,you can bet that after a few years there will be some mindless yobo's defacing it in the name of peace and freedom or even just for the kicks.Look at some of 'em nowadays and you think "was it worth it,what was it all about?" lcm1
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

best recent stats I could find in 20 minutes.........http://www.tulsaworld.com/continuing...ii_veterans/78

Comment

jeffdoorgunnr has pleased lodestar

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                      best recent stats I could find in 20 minutes.........http://www.tulsaworld.com/continuing...ii_veterans/78
                      That's a little bit more like it!

As I’ve said before:
                      “I’m the biggest, loud-mouth, blow-hard, know-it-all in my (former) workplace and local community and I love it!
                      Like the line from the old movie ‘Patton’: “Hell, I know I’m a Prima-Donna. I admit it!”
                      Even got the sobriquet of being something of an ‘oracle’ on things historical at work and around town. Just love demolishing myths and historical urban legends, presenting different perspectives and views, challenging convention wisdoms etc. ‘How do you know all this stuff?’ is a question that is often asked of me.

Summing me up as a self-proclaimed big shot, smart-ass would not be too harsh a judgement.”

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                        That's a little bit more like it!

As I’ve said before:
                        “I’m the biggest, loud-mouth, blow-hard, know-it-all in my (former) workplace and local community and I love it!
                        Like the line from the old movie ‘Patton’: “Hell, I know I’m a Prima-Donna. I admit it!”
                        Even got the sobriquet of being something of an ‘oracle’ on things historical at work and around town. Just love demolishing myths and historical urban legends, presenting different perspectives and views, challenging convention wisdoms etc. ‘How do you know all this stuff?’ is a question that is often asked of me.

Summing me up as a self-proclaimed big shot, smart-ass would not be too harsh a judgement.”

Regards lodestar
                        Good! Then I do not need to feel embarrassed if I should happen to say it! lcm 1
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X