poland:1939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poland:1939

when germany invaded poland,england and france declared war.when russia invaded their section of poland no one said anything.ive always thought this was a little odd.if england and france had also declared war on russia it would have made for an interesting situation in europe.any ideas?
    i yam what i yam and thats what i yam!

Russia waited

Russia did not advance into Eastern Poland until weeks after Germany invaded from the West.
    The Russians waited until the Polish Army had withdrawn just about everything to the West; then just walked right on in, to occupy their half of Poland, as per their treaty with Germany.
    The Russian occupation took place during the final collapse of Poland, and no one outside Eastern Poland even noticed for some period of time that the Russians occuppied Eastern Poland.
    Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: poland:1939

Originally posted by terry patterson
      when germany invaded poland,england and france declared war.when russia invaded their section of poland no one said anything.ive always thought this was a little odd.if england and france had also declared war on russia it would have made for an interesting situation in europe.any ideas?
      An even more interesting scenario. England nearly went to war with the Soviet Union over FINLAND. So that would have put, at least for then, on the same side as the Germans!

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Everyone was chipping in to help Finland. Most of the Scandinavian countries sent troops. Britain and France struggled to send supplies - even the US tried to help a little, unfortunately what did arrive, arrived too late.
        "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
        General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

1939 was an interesting year. Don't forget the undeclared war in Outer Mongolia between the Soviets and the Japanese.
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by tetsuko47
            Everyone was chipping in to help Finland. Most of the Scandinavian countries sent troops. Britain and France struggled to send supplies - even the US tried to help a little, unfortunately what did arrive, arrived too late.
            I believe Sweden didn't want to allow Allied troops to use their territory for any troop movements to assist Finland. If the Allies had DoW on the Soviet Union, the outcome of the war would have been much different. Imagine a combined Armed forces of Germany and Russia!!!!! We'd still be at war!!!!!
            http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

From my understanding the Soviets moved into eastern Poland under the auspices of "restoring order".

Obviously this is a thin facade for Soviet agression, but there wasn't much France or Britain could do anyway, declaring war on the USSR would have been terribly counter productive.
              "War is the extension of politics by other means." - "On War" Carl Von Clauswitz

Comment

Well,order was restored in the Katyn forest. Damnned intelligencia and their poaching......

I remember hearing that the UK supplied the Finns with fighter aircraft. The image of hurricanes with big blue swatikas on the fusilage is an interesting one.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Long
                  Well,order was restored in the Katyn forest. Damnned intelligencia and their poaching......

I remember hearing that the UK supplied the Finns with fighter aircraft. The image of hurricanes with big blue swatikas on the fusilage is an interesting one.
                  Unfortunately; it was Blenheims and Gladiators.

Cheers!

Comment

Britain - When you care enough to send the very best...

As Far as Russia-Poland - Russia did not fess up to Katyn until a few years ago. There are monuments all over Poland to the massacre.
                    "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
                    General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

Hurricanes

England did in fact supply a few (around a dozen if my memory is correct) Hurricanes to Finland, but they got to Finland too late to be used during the Winter War of 1940.
                      But they were used during the "Continuation War", as the Finnish called it, after the German invasion of Russia in the Summer of 1941.
                      An interesting what if occures here, what if Russian Hurricanes tangled with Finnish Hurricanes. But there is no recorded record of that ever happening.
                      The aircraft most used by the Finnish Air Force during 1941, against the Russians, was the F2F Buffalo. The Finnish Air Force used them with great effect against the Russians, and a number of Finnish pilots became aces flying them.
                      Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: Hurricanes

Originally posted by Gregg
                        England did in fact supply a few (around a dozen if my memory is correct) Hurricanes to Finland, but they got to Finland too late to be used during the Winter War of 1940.
                        I sit corrected. Thank you. :thumb:

Cheers!

Comment

Finnish Hurricanes

I just did an image search and came up with this for you.

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/hu-fin-1.htm

Cheers!

Comment

Govt computer and the link is blocked.
                            Thanks anyways,whatever it was.
                            Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Govt computer and the link is blocked.
                              Thanks anyways,whatever it was.
                              For your benefit SGT Long:

Detachment Räty goes to Britain
                              Finnish government purchased 12 Hurricane fighters from Britain in early 1940. The Finnish aircraft were from the first Gloster Hurricane series of 500 aircraft. They had the Merlin III engine and a Hamilton or a Rotol propeller. On the 29th of January 1940 the Finnish pilots selected to fly the fighters to Finland met at Finnish Air Force HQ in Helsinki. The detachment leader was Lt. Jussi Räty, for which the det was to be called "Detachment Räty". The other pilots were ensigns Aarne Alitalo, Heikki Kaukovaara, Eino Mesinen, Erkki Mustonen, Paavo Myllylä, Aarne Nissinen and Tapio Taskinen, sergeants Paavo Aikala and Uuno Karhumäki, also Sgt. Martti Laitinen and Pekka Vassinen.

Lt. Räty was assigned from LeLv 26 (Air Squadron 26), which was in the process of converting to the new Gloster Gladiators. The other pilots came from the replacement regiment at Parola.

The group took a commercial Aero flight to Stockholm and proceeded to London via Copenhagen and Amsterdam. From London they proceeded to RAF base St. Athan on the 5th of February 1940.

The training squadron where the Finns were to be trained was No.11 Group Fighting School commanded by Squadron Leader Tom Pinkham. The squadron was divided into three flights: A Flight commanded by Flight Lieutenant Adye, B Flight commanded by F/L Robinson and C Flight commanded by F/L Cox.

Squadron Leader Pinkham told the Finns that he had been ordered to speed up the training and that they would fly few flights in the Link Trainers and Harwards and then 10 - 12 hrs with the Hurricanes prior to ferry flight to Finland. The British pilots were required to fly 40 hrs with the Link Trainers and 30 hrs with the Hurricanes and they normally had some 250 hrs solo time before the training. The squadron had a fully equipped Hurricane cockpit for ground training.

It is a site showing Hurricanes in Finland. I copied and pasted part of the text for ya.
                              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X