U-boats in the gulf of mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-boats in the gulf of mexico

I'm watching a shown on the HISTORY CHANNEL. It's very intreresting. Apprently two U-boats were found in the gulf of mexico!!!!! :thumb:
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

brian check your pm

Brian check your personal mesages!!!
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Re: U-boats in the gulf of mexico

Originally posted by panzerboy
      I'm watching a shown on the HISTORY CHANNEL. It's very intreresting. Apprently two U-boats were found in the gulf of mexico!!!!! :thumb:
      Germany had many citizens living in Mexico before the war and eventually ran spy operations to cells in the U.S. U-boats ran the Atlantic and some eventually landed on shores in America.
      VonMoltke

Comment

The early months of 1942 were a "happy time" for German U-Boats. They roamed freely around the US coast in the Gulf area as well the the eastern seaboard on the Atlantic. They took a huge toll on US shipping because of the complete absence of counter measures. It's surprising more U-Boats haven't been found because there were many that operated in these waters.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

"Deep Sea Detectives" just had a show about locating U-166 in the Gulf. The irony is that it lays with in a few miles of the last ship it sunk.............
          Lance W.

Comment

They also found one somewhere in the mississippi river.
            Quote of a viking captain
            "No I said rape the WOMEN burn the HOUSES
            All warfare is based on deception.

Comment

In the Gulf of Mexico, and all US Federal waters, Oil Companies are required to conduct High Resolution Drilling Hazard Surveys on leases they wish to drill. The U-166 was found by one of these surveys. There are large areas of the Gulf that have yet to be subjected to these Hi-Res surveys; either due to water depth or a lack of prospectivity. As drilling technology allows us to move into deeper and deeper water, we may find more shipwrecks.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

You may be interested on u-boat.net. In the following link, from this site, you will find a map with u-boats sunk near North America East Coast.

http://uboat.net/maps/us_east_coast.htm
                Cual lidian bien, sobre dorado arzón
                Mio Cid Ruy Diaz, el buen lidiador;
                Minaya Alvar Fáñez, que en Zorita mandó;
                Martín Antolínez, el burgalés de pro...!

Comment

Originally posted by Minaya
                  You may be interested on u-boat.net. In the following link, from this site, you will find a map with u-boats sunk near North America East Coast.

http://uboat.net/maps/us_east_coast.htm

Interestingly enough; there is a U-boat off the coast of South Carolina not listed. I wonder why?
                  Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                    Interestingly enough; there is a U-boat off the coast of South Carolina not listed. I wonder why?
                    I also think there is one sunk in the lower Potomac River near St.Mary's, Maryland.
                    Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                      I also think there is one sunk in the lower Potomac River near St.Mary's, Maryland.
                      You know the more I think about it; they were probably left unmarked to keep people from diving on them and disturbing the gravesites.
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Why wouldent the Germans send U-Boats to the Gulf. There were alot of oil tankers floatin around out there, sitting ducks.

Comment

There were U-Boats up the St.Lawrence River and in the Norththuberland Strait between P.E.I. and Nova Scotia. Basically all over Nova Scotia and P.E.I. One of them landed a spy that got caught. I can't quite remember the story behind that.
                          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

There have been reports that I have read from the old pages of the galveston daily news that when ww2 first started you could actually go to the beaches of galveston and watch the merchant marine ship go under.
                            Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

According to my book "The TIMES, Atlas of the Second World War" edited
                              by John Keegan (this is a fantastic book full of detailed maps of all
                              WWII battles that everyone should have), between Jan. 1942 and July 1943,
                              over 30 USA(?) ships were sunk in the Gulf of Mexico for 1 U-boat sunk.
                              It doesn't say how many U-boats were in the area but it was probably
                              about a 1/2 dozen.

U-boats sunk ships throughout the Caribbean Sea and along the coast
                              of N./S. America (lots around Trinidad and Venezuela!) and Africa almost
                              as far south as the Congo.

They facilitated transAtlantic operation with the "Milch Kow" or Milk
                              Cow which was a tanker/supply sub that would rondevous with the U-boats
                              in the middle of the ocean. One can imagine the risks and difficulties
                              this would entail, during wartime, with their limited technology.
                              Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X