Wake Island "the alamo of the pacific"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake Island "the alamo of the pacific"

The story of Wake Island is an incredible one. The fact that a few Marines with 4 Mustang Fighters were able to fight of a whole invasion force and also nearly fight of a second one. In my opinion there Battles was even more hopeless then the Alamo but they won the first Battle and nearly won the second.
    Navy Seals- The only easy day was yesterday

Re: Wake Island "the alamo of the pacific"

Originally posted by NavySeals112
    The story of Wake Island is an incredible one. The fact that a few Marines with 4 Mustang Fighters were able to fight of a whole invasion force and also nearly fight of a second one. In my opinion there Battles was even more hopeless then the Alamo but they won the first Battle and nearly won the second.

I agree that the defense of Wake was a heroic deed, but I am not so certain they nearly defeated the 2nd attempt. Can you shed more light on this?

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

have you ever seen the movie WAKE ISLAND!!!

cheers
      Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Originally posted by panzerboy
        have you ever seen the movie WAKE ISLAND!!!

cheers
        Yeah, great propaganda movie.
        Still a fun watch though.

Cheers!

Comment

The second Japanesse invasion force took incredible losses due to an excellently position artillary gun and machine guns along the beach that kept the Japs pinned on the beach for some time. If anyone out there is interested in Wake Island, there is a great program on the History Channel that you can buy from its web site.
          Navy Seals- The only easy day was yesterday

Comment

Mustangs at Wake?

The Marine aircraft at Wake Island were F4F3 Wildcats.
            Of the twelve that were there, 8 were destroyed or damaged beyond use the first day of the battle, on the ground.

For a good read on Wake Island, get a copy of the new book "Hell Would Not Stop".

It is not generally known, but the Marines came very close to replusing the second invasion also, and that a relief convoy was only 200 miles away the morning of the second attack.
            If the Navy brass had not wasted time, Wake Island could have been reinforced before the second invasion.
            What that have made a difference in the final outcome, that is to be debated!

Regards, Gregg

Comment

Didn't the Marines at Wake even managed to sink a DD or DE with an anti tank gun?
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                Didn't the Marines at Wake even managed to sink a DD or DE with an anti tank gun?
                Technically it was a large patrol craft. But yeah; it was DD/DE type. And they used the 5" Coast Defence guns to good advantage.

Cheers!

Comment

Guns at Wake

The guns in the coastal defence batteries were three pairs of WWI vintage 5 inch/51 guns.
                  The Marines Gunners managed to sink one old WWI vintage Japanese Destroyer, and damage two more Destroyers, and damage a couple troop caring freighters.
                  Wake Island Wildcats magaged to sink one of the damaged Destroyers, and shoot up a couple troop carring freighters.
                  There were also four, four gun batteries of 3 inch AA guns on Wake. These guns were moved every night, and the Japanese would bomb the location where they were moved from every day.
                  Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: Wake Island "the alamo of the pacific"

Originally posted by NavySeals112
                    They performed wonderfully and, as a result, many of the survivors were subjected to the usual range of Japanese atrocities.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: Mustangs at Wake?

Originally posted by Gregg
                      The Marine aircraft at Wake Island were F4F3 Wildcats.
                      Of the twelve that were there, 8 were destroyed or damaged beyond use the first day of the battle, on the ground.

For a good read on Wake Island, get a copy of the new book "Hell Would Not Stop".

It is not generally known, but the Marines came very close to replusing the second invasion also, and that a relief convoy was only 200 miles away the morning of the second attack.
                      If the Navy brass had not wasted time, Wake Island could have been reinforced before the second invasion.
                      What that have made a difference in the final outcome, that is to be debated!

Regards, Gregg
                      Weren't there some Brewster Buffaloes on Wake in addition to the Wildcats?
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

NO

Nope.
                        You are thinking of Midway.
                        Regards, Gregg

Comment

Re: Re: Mustangs at Wake?

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          Weren't there some Brewster Buffaloes on Wake in addition to the Wildcats?
                          That was Midway. Wake only had F4fs because the fighters of VMF-21 was recently transferred there. Midway had Buffalos because they were there before being reinforced with Wildcats.

Cheers!

Comment

Well Microsoft Combat Flight Sim. 2 does a good job of representing the Pacific conflict in the air and you gotta have some cast-iron guts to take on Zeroes in a Wildcat, those things are practically almost outmatched around the board but in weapons and diving ability and a higher ceiling.

A thumbs up to all past Naval Aviators and Flying Leathernecks.
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                              Well Microsoft Combat Flight Sim. 2 does a good job of representing the Pacific conflict in the air and you gotta have some cast-iron guts to take on Zeroes in a Wildcat, those things are practically almost outmatched around the board but in weapons and diving ability and a higher ceiling.

A thumbs up to all past Naval Aviators and Flying Leathernecks.
                              It was all a matter of tactics. If the Wildcat did not attempt to dogfight with Zero it could hold its own.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X