Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific

What was the Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific war.

I would have to say the battle of Peleliu!

My Uncle was there, He's still alive and thriving. He is writing a new book.
    Peleliu
    31.43%
    Guadacanal
    5.71%
    Tarawa
    28.57%
    Okinawaia
    31.43%
    Siapan
    2.86%
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Tarawa was just a meat grinder, pure and simple. Units were fed into just evaporate.

Okinawa and Iwo Jima were like that on a larger scale, but Tarawa was the first.

Comment

I agree. Terrible Tarawa!!
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Okinawa would be the bloodiest battle of the Pacific Theater. Here is a breakdown of KIA and wounded during the battles listed:

Okinawa: US KIA-12,520 Wounded-36,631
        Japanese KIA-110,000 POW-7,400

Saipan: US KIA- 3,426 Wounded-13,099
        Japanese KIA-29,000+ POW-Unk

Guadalcanal: US KIA-1,592 Wounded-4,183
        Japanese KIA-14,800 POW-1,000
        (Another 9,000 dead due to disease)

Peleliu: US KIA-1,252 Wounded-6,526
        Japanese KIA-10,900 POW-202

Tarawa: US KIA-990 Wounded-2,186
        Japanese KIA-4,836 POW-17

Comment

Originally posted by sgreen23
          Okinawa would be the bloodiest battle of the Pacific Theater.
          I really don't think numbers are as meaningful without a sense of scale. Tarawa was a wee tiny island and the slaughter on the beachs opened the eyes of the US. So while Okinawa wsa a very, very bad campaign; Tarawa prepared the US for it.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Peleliu

People often forget what happened on Peleliu. It was one of the wars most bloodiest costliest battles during the 20th century.

I should know my uncle was in Peleliu.

He said that there was always Japanese Sniper fire.
            Peter Williams

Comment

My grandpappy was at Saipan and Iwo Jima. Wouldn't talk much about Saipan and the only thing he said about Iwo Jima was that there was no where to dig a hole and hide.

Comment

Iwo jima coral

The reason he was not able to dig foxhole was that Iwo Jima was all coral rock. The spades used us could not penetrate that rock.

HOPE THAT HELPED
                Peter Williams

Comment

I'dhave to agree that the 72 hours of fighting at Tarawa/Betio were the ugliest. Okinawa, though was muddy and long and hellish and it went on and on and on ......but Tarawa was the first and the ugliest, most ungraceful, fight.
                  Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Re: Iwo jima coral

Originally posted by panzerboy
                    The reason he was not able to dig foxhole was that Iwo Jima was all coral rock. The spades used us could not penetrate that rock.

HOPE THAT HELPED
                    Thanks Panzerboy. Actually, he said the biggest problem was the volcanic ash on the beach and most of the island. He would tell me that they would dig and dig, only to watch the sides cave back in. Knowing now what he went through, I am amazed that anyone survived the landings.

Comment

Originally posted by RStory
                      I really don't think numbers are as meaningful without a sense of scale. Tarawa was a wee tiny island and the slaughter on the beachs opened the eyes of the US. So while Okinawa wsa a very, very bad campaign; Tarawa prepared the US for it.

Cheers!

About the only good thing to come from Tarawa was that the high command recognized the need for tracked amphibious landing craft that could float or crawl across coral reefs. They did learn so the carnage that soldiers experienced would not be as bad in the future.
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                        About the only good thing to come from Tarawa was that the high command recognized the need for tracked amphibious landing craft that could float or crawl across coral reefs. They did learn so the carnage that soldiers experienced would not be as bad in the future.
                        I totally agree. We did learn from it and we (the US) were better prepared the next time.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Jappanese special navel landing force on tawrra

Let me know if I'm wrong but didn't the Jappanese Navel Special Landing troops fight the US Marines on Tawara??
                          :thumb:
                          Peter Williams

Comment

Re: Jappanese special navel landing force on tawrra

Originally posted by panzerboy
                            Let me know if I'm wrong but didn't the Jappanese Navel Special Landing troops fight the US Marines on Tawara??
                            :thumb:
                            Yep! The 6th and 7th Special Navy Landing Force fought on Tawara. The 6th SNLF became the 3rd Special Base Force and the 7th SNLF was sent to reinforce the garrison.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Although both Tarawa and Iwo Jima can probably lay claim to the bloodiest battle in the Pacific, the landings on Peleliu caused the greatest amount of casualties in relation to the size of the landing force.
                              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X