The Ultimate Thread D-day Unlimited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Thread D-day Unlimited

Here you can post anything you want on D-day and the Normandy battles, guns, tanks, and other vehicles!!!!!!

:thumb:
    Omaha
    100.00%
    Utah
    0.00%
    Sword
    0.00%
    Juno
    0.00%
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Bloodiets beach on D-Day: Omaha by far!!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Which beach was it that we ended up landing like 2 miles south of where we were supposed to?
      "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Utah

Comment

Remember

Remember this is a thread for anything about D-Day, BE CREATIVE!!!
          Peter Williams

Comment

So, do all of the recent WW2 movies accuratly describe the real landings?
            "If my theory of realitivity is proved true, then France will declare me a citizen of the world and Germany will call me a German. However, if it is proved untrue, then France will call me a German, and Germany a jew."

-Albert Einstein

Comment

No. SPR does it best. TLD was a nice try and is probably the 2nd best. To really portray the slaughter house that was Omaha is really difficult.

Comment

I agree SPR is the best "recreation" of the slaughter on the bloodiest beach in the region.

As a classic "what if" - what if those Pz divs had been released immediately to Rommel to cruch the beachhead (and Rommel stays in action).
                "Give a soldier an anvil, just a hunk of metal, and drive him out into the desert and leave him. In two weeks - when you go to get him, the anvil will be broken."
                General Creighton Abrams on the need for a soldier proof tank.

Comment

D-Day

I think the two worst things about D-day was Pointe du Hoc raid
                  and the raid on the tiny island not to far out.
                  The Pointe du Hoc was a failure because they went all that way to destroy artillery and they weren't even there.
                  The raid on the island was bad because as soon as they land they stepped on dozens of Bouncing Betty mines.
                  Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.- Sun Tzu
                  Spies are the most important asset, because on them depends an army's ability to march. - Sun Tzu

Comment

I didn't know they had bouncing betties back then. Anyone know when they came around?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

BOUNCING BETTY

'Bouncing Betties' was what the Gi's called the German mines. To the best of my knowledge this stared in 1942.
                      Peter Williams

Comment

Re: BOUNCING BETTY

Originally posted by panzerboy
                        'Bouncing Betties' was what the Gi's called the German mines. To the best of my knowledge this stared in 1942.

Nice pages.
                        http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...chapter1.2.htm
                        (Sections 71-73)

http://www.minwara.org/History_Locker/German_S_Mine.htm

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Re: BOUNCING BETTY

Originally posted by panzerboy
                          Started a bit later than that:

October 10, 1944: Probing the Sigfried Line defenses; first encounter with the German S-Mine. (Bouncing Betty)
                          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

alternate history

Peter Tsouras' Disaster at D-Day is an excellent alternate history of D-Day. It starts with making one or two small but feasible changes and creates a new historical thread from this change. for example what if Rommel had not left for his wife's birthday?
                            Just because you don't understand me doesn't make me an artist.

Comment

Started a bit later than that:

October 10, 1944: Probing the Sigfried Line defenses; first encounter with the German S-Mine. (Bouncing Betty)
                              If they were first encountered oct of '44, then how were they at D-Day?

-Albert Einstein

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X