D-day museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-day museum

Has anyoneeverbeen to ther D-day museum in Nwe Orleans?
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

I have yet to make the pilgrimage to New Orleans, but everything I have read about it gives it high marks for accurately telling the story of the common soldier.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

great museum

LANCE YOU HAVE NO IDEA. TO ME IT IS LIKE WWII HOLY LAND!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thumb:
      Peter Williams

Comment

D-Day museum

didn't know of it - but I will go now
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Re: D-Day museum

Originally posted by hogdriver
          didn't know of it - but I will go now
          Its the brainchild of Stephen Ambrose (and others) to memorialize all of the amphibious invasions of WW II. It has exhibits for both the European and Pacific Theaters and houses lots of memorabilia. It shows this from the point of view of the soldier in the field. It is based out of the former warehouse that produced Higgins boat landing crafts in WW II. I haven't been yet, but I'm on a mailing list and get promo stuff from them regularly.
          Lance W.

Comment

Re: great museum

Originally posted by panzerboy
            LANCE YOU HAVE NO IDEA. TO ME IT IS LIKE WWII HOLY LAND!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thumb:
            Any chance of getting a brief write up about your visit?
            Lance W.

Comment

Reply to Lance

Lance man, words cannot discribe this place of wonder. I'll try to post some pictures I took!!

YOU REALLY NEED TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
              Peter Williams

Comment

lodestar needs museum moved to NYC later this year

Originally posted by eagle101 View Post
                Lance man, words cannot discribe this place of wonder. I'll try to post some pictures I took!!

Well in the 9 years since this post has anyone recently seen this museum?
                I'll be in the US later this year with my wife.
                Only in NYC however.
                If I wrote to the museum board do you think they might consider moving it for a few days to the big apple?
                I get people to do me favours all the time It's amazing the lengths some folks go to to please you just because you paid attention to them.

Latest in my review of all ACG WW2 thread-starters from day one.
                Eagle 101 where are you?

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
                  Well in the 9 years since this post has anyone recently seen this museum?
                  I'll be in the US later this year with my wife.
                  Only in NYC however.
                  If I wrote to the museum board do you think they might consider moving it for a few days to the big apple?
                  I get people to do me favours all the time It's amazing the lengths some folks go to to please you just because you paid attention to them.

Latest in my review of all ACG WW2 thread-starters from day one.
                  Eagle 101 where are you?

Regards lodestar
                  Last Activity: 09 Mar 07 12:47
                  Are you effin serious???

Comment

Originally posted by eagle101 View Post

Call me cynical if you must,does it include the other nationalities that took part? lcm1
                    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                      Call me cynical if you must,does it include the other nationalities that took part? lcm1
                      What other nations? We've been telling you for the last 70 years that we did it all. Time you wake up to the real world. You were not there. What do you know?

The National World War II Museum, formerly known as the National D-Day Museum, is a museum located in the Central Business District of New Orleans, Louisiana, at the corner of Andrew Higgins Boulevard and Magazine Street. It focuses on the contribution made by the United States to victory by the Allies in World War II, and the Battle of Normandy in particular. It was designated by the U.S. Congress as "America's National World War II Museum" in 2003,[2] and the museum maintains an affiliation with the Smithsonian Institution.[3] The mission statement of the museum emphasizes the American experience in World War II.[4]
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa..._War_II_Museum

They didn't totally forget the others.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

National views and over-emphasis

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        What other nations? We've been telling you for the last 70 years that we did it all. Time you wake up to the real world. You were not there. What do you know?

The National World War II Museum, formerly known as the National D-Day Museum, is a museum located in the Central Business District of New Orleans, Louisiana, at the corner of Andrew Higgins Boulevard and Magazine Street. It focuses on the contribution made by the United States to victory by the Allies in World War II, and the Battle of Normandy in particular. It was designated by the U.S. Congress as "America's National World War II Museum" in 2003,[2] and the museum maintains an affiliation with the Smithsonian Institution.[3] The mission statement of the museum emphasizes the American experience in World War II.[4]

Quite so.
                        If the museum states that it is mainly covering the American experience, either about WW2 overall or D-Day in particular, then that's what it should do without apology.
                        After all other national museums overwhelmingly concentrate on their own experience (Imperial War Museum in the UK, Australian War Memorial etc).

The problem of over-emphasis on your own countrys contribution comes when a writer or film doco-maker tries to produce something that claims to tell a 'whole story' and then does nothing of the sort.
                        Often some works are simply exercises in national tub-thumping, chest beating and misty eyed mythologising.

Brit writers do it (eg: I mean did anything happen in WWI on the Western Front between Mons and the Somme?)

French writers do it (eg: I mean was anyone else on the Western Front prior the July 1916?)

Yank writers do it (eg: The latter career of The venerable Mtr Stephen ambrose being a good example)

Russian writers do it (what the western allies were doing on land post June '40 and prior to mid '44 may have been very small scale ..but should it really be considered but totally irrelevant?)

Australian writers do it (don't get me started!)

You get the idea.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

No offence meant John we can always blame Hollywood can't we! lcm1
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

It's a nice museum; there's 2 sections with one that has the food section which is very nice on a hot day (in New Orleans that's not hard!).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X