The German's greatest mistake in WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles C View Post
    " ... England quite simply didn't interest Hitler enough though, who saw the Soviet Union as the real enemy."
    We could hardly expect Hitler to be particularly interested in 'England' alone. After all, in terms of fighting the war did the British have any particular interest in Bavaria, or Saxony, or Prussia? Or was it Germany they were interested in?
    "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
    Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

England quite simply didn't interest Hitler enough though, who saw the Soviet Union as the real enemy.
      As I understand it he liked the English, he thought the English and the Germans were very much alike (which you in fact are) He never wanted war with England in the first place and I don't think he really knew what to do once England (and France) had declared war.
      Last edited by walle; 09 Apr 13, 09:05.

Comment

He would've had to postpone the invasion of Russia for another year at least, but then I think it definitely would've been possible.

England quite simply didn't interest Hitler enough though, who saw the Soviet Union as the real enemy.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahhahahaahahahahahahhahaha

Nurse! My meds, please.

Last edited by Gooner; 09 Apr 13, 09:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by walle View Post
          There are researchers who suggest that if Albert Speer hadn't interfered Germany would have had the A Bomb in 1945, but apparently he thought the war would be won much sooner, and in Germanys favour, so not enough resources was invested.
          So you'll be able to name, say, three of those researchers and their books on the issue of the German atom bomb. Thank you in advance.
          Michele

Comment

" ... I don't think he really knew what to do once England (and France) had declared war.
            'England' did not declare war.
            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
              We could hardly expect Hitler to be particularly interested in 'England' alone. After all, in terms of fighting the war did the British have any particular interest in Bavaria, or Saxony, or Prussia? Or was it Germany they were interested in?
              I know what you're saying but, seriously, Scotland, Ireland & Wales wasn't in anyones mind. England possesed 90% of the forces in the UK anyway, not to mention the fact that England was where nearly all of the UK's military equipment was manufactured.

But ofcourse if an invasion of Britain was to be carried out, then it would've involved all of it, not just England. Leaving behind Ireland, Scotland & Wales would be giving away safe havens for any resistance forces.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                'England' did not declare war.
                The English were at the helm, not the British.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene.../big/0804.html
                Last edited by walle; 09 Apr 13, 10:26.

Comment

• Invading the USSR early was the correct decision. There was just no obvious way to defeat the UK fast enough to risk becoming entangled in war with the Atlantic powers while the Soviets stood on Germany's frontier.

Comment

• Originally posted by KDF33 View Post
                    Invading the USSR early was the correct decision. There was just no obvious way to defeat the UK fast enough to risk becoming entangled in war with the Atlantic powers while the Soviets stood on Germany's frontier.
                    Correct.

Stalin was planning on attacking Germany but he wasn't ready, which was why he signed the none aggression pact, he needed to buy some time. The Germans on the other hand couldn't wait a year, they had no choice but to attack, they should have done so earlier.

Comment

• There's absolutely no evidence that Stalin ever planned on attacking Germany.

Also, the Germans couldn't attack earlier - they were at war with France.

Comment

The Germans couldn't attack earlier - they were at war with France.
                        They could have attacked 2 months earlier.

Comment

They could have attacked 2 months earlier.
                          I'm afraid that's not going to work. April 22 = mud floods due to thawing late snow and spring rains. You can move anyway, on a good hard-surfaced road network, i.e. not in the Soviet Union in 1941. Or in 1942. Or in 1943. Or in 1944.
                          Michele

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
                            I'm not so sure of that. If they'd had sound logistics, they wouldn't have run out of gas.

One cannot blame Rundstedt for that though, any more than one can blame Rommel for running out of gas in Africa or Guderian for running out of gas in Russia. There wasn't much logic in their logistics... LOL!

Regards
                            Scott Fraser
                            Hey Scott.

That was the point I was trying to make...LOL!
                            The Armoured spearheads (and their accompanying mech. infantry) had shot their bolt and desperately needed maintenance/supply/rest/refitting; the bulk of the horse drawn infantry and their organic artillery/support elements (that were required, if one is considering an assault on the Dunkerque lodgement) were mired in the chaotic traffic jams behind the lines. To compound matters, the actual disposition of the bulk of the French Army was very much unknown at this point.
                            All the OKW knew as absolute fact was that these Frenchmen were NOT in German POW cages...

Cheers, Ron

P.S.

Additionally, one should not underestimate the potential of NGF. This could seriously upset any German ground assault on the Dunkerque lodgement. Were that the situation grew desperate, one could expect a much stronger French/British Naval presence in the littoral waters; this despite the efforts of the Luftwaffe. They had the ability to stand off and rain many thousands of tons of HE per hour onto any attacking army.

As later historical events were to prove, this might not end so well for the attackers...
                            48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
                            __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

• Originally posted by Michele View Post
                              I'm afraid that's not going to work. April 22 = mud floods due to thawing late snow and spring rains. You can move anyway, on a good hard-surfaced road network, i.e. not in the Soviet Union in 1941. Or in 1942. Or in 1943. Or in 1944.
                              Well that's a good and valid point, perhaps you're right. The infrastructure in Russia was rather poor at the time, not much of it existed to begin with.

Comment

Invading the USSR early was the correct decision. There was just no obvious way to defeat the UK fast enough to risk becoming entangled in war with the Atlantic powers while the Soviets stood on Germany's frontier.
                                Oh I agree on that, infact the Germans would've been better off just leaving Britain alone until the USSR had been crushed. The Battle of Britain was pointless and a half hearted affair by the Germans, a waste of time and material that could've been utilized better in the coming war against the USSR.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X