The German's greatest mistake in WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The German's greatest mistake in WWII

What was the biggest blunder the Germans made during WWII?

That is besides loosing the war!
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

There are a few, but I think the biggest blunder happened on 22 June 1941. Barbarossa!!!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Trying to fight the war on two fronts. The timing of the invasion into Russia. Just a couple.

Mark
      Deo Vindice
      Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Allowing Hitler to become Supreme Commander of the armed forces.

Comment

The most unforgivable mistake was declaring war on the US.

If Hitler had let things be, the US would have been involved in an exclusive war in the Pacific. This would have prevented the US from becoming involved in Europe for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by last_cav1971
            Trying to fight the war on two fronts. The timing of the invasion into Russia. Just a couple.

Mark
            Deo Vindice

I have to agree. Didn't Hitler say that fighting a war on two fronts was a bad idea? He should have listened to his own advice.

Maybe he didn't play Risk as a kid. Trying to hold Asia to get your 7 armies at the beginning of every turn was pretty hard.
            2nd Lt Mephisto, OIC S-2 Security, 5th Armchair General Battalion

Currently Playing:
            CMBO 3MiF Tournament vs NiG
            CMAK QB vs IronMikeUSMC
            ASL S1 vs IronMike USMC

Comment

Hitler as commander and chief, the biggest mistake. Luck got him as far as he did. He never really trusted the officer corp.
              Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speakup and remove all doubt.

Comment

mistakes

It was also Hindenbergs fault for letting him become chanellor.
                Also Hitler became addicted to drugs later in his rule he was going senial.
                Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted.- Sun Tzu
                Spies are the most important asset, because on them depends an army's ability to march. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Dann Falk

If Hitler had let things be, the US would have been involved in an exclusive war in the Pacific. This would have prevented the US from becoming involved in Europe for several years.
                  I'd go along with this. As I've said elsewhere, whether or not to invade Russia wasn't an option for Hitler - it WAS the whole purpose of the war.

Dr. S.
                  Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dann Falk

Although I acknowledge that declaring war on the US was a major blunder, I don't believe the isolationist politics of the US would have prevented them from entering the war in Europe for a couple of years. They were already involved with Lend-Lease to the british and the soviets and although it was a bad move from Germany, I think the US would have declared war against Germany sooner than later. Just my opinion.
                    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

The United States would not allow a country to be destroyed needlessy. If we didn't get inyo the war sonner or later it would have lasted longer for the Germans.
                      Peter Williams

Comment

Not destroying the British army in France in 1940. IF the BEF had been lost Hitler might have been able to convince England to accept a peace offer, which would have allowed him to concentrate on Russia.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

England would never surrender to the Germans. Neither would we. Thats why both of us fought!!:thumb:
                          Peter Williams

Comment

The biggest blunder the Germans made in WWII was to fight a two front war. They made the same mistake in World War One. Also, Hitler leapfroged from one campaign to another after 1940 which pissed off his generals.
                            VonMoltke

Comment

I'd have to vote for figthing on two fronts being the biggest mistake. I do believe the declaration of war on the US was a huge mistake, but it almost seems more like a symptom of the two front war rather than a huge mistake in and of itself. Would there have been as much tension with isolationist America if there still hadn't been shooting going on between Germany and England? My WWI history is a bit shaky but wasn't the whole two front war deal something that everyone agreed was a mistake for Germany in that war?

Secure your rear before you charge off on a major operation.
                              So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X