Problems with German Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with German Forces

I think that the biggest problem with the German army in WW2 was that Hitler wouldn't listen to his generals and the generals listened too hard to Hitler. Agree, Disagree?
    To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
    -Werner Pluskat

Re: Problems with German Forces

Originally posted by C.M. Ansley
    I think that the biggest problem with the German army in WW2 was that Hitler wouldn't listen to his generals and the generals listened too hard to Hitler. Agree, Disagree?
    Definetly Agreed. D-day would be a perfect example. Despite want Rommel and others said about the impossibility of Pas-de-Calais as a landing zonr, Hitler believed what Hitler wanted.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Yes,
      And Hitler denied his generals requests to move Panzer reserves to the front time after time. This lead to the losses at Normandy, Southern France, Holland, and a number of others, not even counting the eastern front.
      To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
      -Werner Pluskat

Comment

Hitler deeply hated his generals. Most of them were from the Prussian high class. They disliked Hitler since the only rank he ever obtained was corporal.

Hitler even turned his back on Waffen SS General Josef "Sepp" Dietrich and the Leiberstandarte. He called them "cowards" after the battle of Kursk and told them to strip his name off of their sleeves. Dietrich and his subordinates wanted to send him an arm of a dead SS officer with Hitler's name on the band.

The Army was always a threat to Hitler ever since his reign of power. The general he most feared was Rommel. Rommel could have taken over Germany any time. His popularity was stronger among Germans than Hitler.

Guderian was another general that talked back to Hitler. If Hitler had not interfered in the Russian Front campaign, the Germans could have captured Russia.
        VonMoltke

Comment

German mistake

I agree that Hitler should have listened to his generals, but he also should have been more flexible with his generals and his soldiers!!
          Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Originally posted by FelixAlicea
            Hitler deeply hated his generals. Most of them were from the Prussian high class. They disliked Hitler since the only rank he ever obtained was corporal.

Hitler even turned his back on Waffen SS General Josef "Sepp" Dietrich and the Leiberstandarte. He called them "cowards" after the battle of Kursk and told them to strip his name off of their sleeves. Dietrich and his subordinates wanted to send him an arm of a dead SS officer with Hitler's name on the band.

The Army was always a threat to Hitler ever since his reign of power. The general he most feared was Rommel. Rommel could have taken over Germany any time. His popularity was stronger among Germans than Hitler.

Guderian was another general that talked back to Hitler. If Hitler had not interfered in the Russian Front campaign, the Germans could have captured Russia.
            Didn't Hitler ask the Leiberstandarte to take off cuff bands after there failed attempt in hungary?
            Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speakup and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOP102
              Didn't Hitler ask the Leiberstandarte to take off cuff bands after there failed attempt in hungary?
              I think so. I was also given to understand they also returned their decorations, or wanted to anyways, in a chamber pot. Preferable a used chamber pot. :thumb: :

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Hitler had one major fundamental flaw when it came to being commander in chief. He micro-managed. His overwhelming mistrust of the Prussian military class persuaded him to direct every little detail of an ongoing battle right down to battalion level. It is true he had a keen sense of military tactics but he was clearly ignorant of the overall mechanics of modern warfare. He had no clue as to logistics and morale. His reluctance to allow retreats even in cases when one was called for to mount successful counterattacks brought about many of the disasters on the eastern front. Even more disastrous was his affinity to politicize the areas immediately behind the front wherein he authorized his "Nazi goon squads" complete autonomy into areas which were clearly within the military field commanders jurisdiction. By allotting different jurisdictional authority at and behind the front he successfully split his generals' trust of each other and divided their allegiances which ran counter to the classic Prussian military philosophy. First he challenged the military caste, then he divided their chain of command before, in the end he ultimately destroyed their power to contradict him. In the end his generals were leading for their own personal honor.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOP102
                  Yes, but he was already dissapointed with them at Kursk.:crazy:
                  VonMoltke

Comment

Hitler was a major-league micro-manager, he liked to look at the situation map, make sweeps of his hands and make statements, thence expecting General Staff officers to write coherent operations orders based on his visions (quite irrational ones at that).

The other problem was of course that few if any officers were willing and able to stand up to his tirades and tantrums.
                    Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                    (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

It was quite sad, that one of the only Generals capable of standing up to 'The Fuhrer' was General Heinz Guderian, but he backed down on some key issues. Not only was he one of the founders of Blitzkrieg tactics, most likely he was a better General than Rommel (Although Rommel got the good press ) but didn't argue hard enough sometimes. And of course Hitler didn't wan't a non-yes man near him, so avoided/kept him away.

OT Randomness: "It peanut-butter-jelly time! Peanut-butter jelly time!"

Comment

C.M. Ansley needs to get in touch. He interests me

Originally posted by C.M. Ansley View Post
                        Behold one, behold all!
                        After a holiday season hiatus lodestar is presenting, as promised, another in the series of reviews of all threads on the forum from day one.
                        I have arrived at this rather awkwardly worded one by the concise if somewhat unsophisticated C.M. Ansley who appears not to have posted since 2007.

Return to the fold C.M. you interest me.
                        The mysterious nature of the universe interests me (I am part of the mystery).
                        The Bolivian potato crop of 1937 interests me.
                        Punctuated equilibrium interests me, as does what I had for morning snack on July 8th 1968.
                        The opinions of others, generally does not.

However a promise is promise and we now need to reconsider the well-travelled issue of Hitler and his General.
                        There have been several excellent books on this still controversial subject.
                        Is there really that much evidence that many generals ‘stood up’ to Hitler and tried to tell it to him like it was?
                        Actually very little, simply because until Dec 1941 and the failure before Moscow most of the miserable basterds were only too happy to go along with him and bask in his reflected glory as Adolf raked up amazing triumph after triumph.
                        Hitler is reputed to have said that he was often felt he was ‘sleep-walking’ to his destiny and that’s how he would lead Germany to ultimate victory. Essentially he hoodwinked just about all of those around him into following him down the road by sheer power of charisma and his previous ‘track record’ of success.

I remember reading that many Generals after the tide had turned dramatically against Germany (after Stalingrad or Kursk depending on your opinion as to what the tipping point was) built up their nerve and prepared to confront the Fuhrer with a cold dose of reality and tell him the war was lost, only to emerge from the meeting convinced that there was still hope.
                        Oh the gift of the gab!

But enough of my thoughts. Let us reconnect with C.M. I’m sure he will be interested to see what we have been taliking about these last 6 years.

There are few certainties in life or in the world, but that lodestar will end up in an unmarked, shallow grave in a desolate, forsaken, wind-blown corner of a remote, barren and unknown land, is surely one of them

Regards lodestar

Comment

True Hitler was a weird guy... I would like to get into his mind... What was he thinking? Mostly of his generals and men who knew what are they talking about were against mostly his ideas... Goering was his pet... And maybe some other guys...
                          "Give me 100 000 croatian soldiers and I will conqure all world" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Soldiers are coming and leaving while war will never end.

Comment

Originally posted by FelixAlicea View Post
                            If Hitler had not interfered in the Russian Front campaign, the Germans could have captured Russia.
                            What makes you say that? unless Russia surrenders I don't think they can win whenever you fix one of Hitlers mistakes there's new different problems
                            You better drop your flag an withdraw.

Comment

Originally posted by Blakdust View Post
                              What makes you say that? unless Russia surrenders I don't think they can win whenever you fix one of Hitlers mistakes there's new different problems
                              This is a necro thread Be careful with the threads lodestar pulls from the bottomless abysses of forum archives - you might accidentally start talking to Chtulhu himself or the Ancients, who surely posted here a few million years ago.
                              www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X