Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

December 7, 1941 a date which will live in infamy. Japan suddenly and deliberately attacked the United States as Franklin D Roosevelt's told the nation.

Long live America long live freedom

I’m asking fellow posters to contribute what they know about Pearl Harbor and even personal testimonials from the fateful day.

As vice President Henry Wallace pointed out ... We pay homage to the fighting leaders of the allied forces the British Empire the Soviet union , China and the United States of America. But we also pay homage to the common American, common British , Soviet and Chinese as well as all of the common people who contributed to the cause of the Allied powers.

Just imagine what life was like on December 7 for our fellow Americans. Japan had launched a successful surprise attack against the United States. American people did not know what the future was going to behold. Adolf Hitler was very very happy when Japan attacked the United States he thought that the world was turning in the favor of the axis powers. German and Japanese officials felt that the Soviets Americans and British were weak and could be crushed. The axis powers would mock the allies for the beauty tolerance and Liberal values of the Allied powers. Little did Hitler or the leaders of the axis forces know of the strength or teamwork of the allied forces.

Imagine what life was like for the school teacher, Dr. or steel worker here in the United States upon hearing about how the Empire of Japan which was one the strongest empires to ever live had attacked the United States and now war was eminent. In this sense Americans knew they were going to get involved in World War II and just in a matter of time.

Imagine how it was for the American service man in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 all those Japanese planes overhead and seeing their fellow Americans getting shot and killed. In those moments when Americans manned the battle stations in Hawaii on dec 7 1941 they Did what they could to fight back the Japanese it was one of the most riveting moments in world history perhaps.

The Empire of Japan may have Thought that a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor would Break the will of the American people and lead to the defeat of the allied forces. But they were wrong because in the end the allies prevailed.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

So this afternoon I was driving around Buffalo in fact right by the old Bethlehem steel factory and I came across this World War II monument,

C6C6C3BD-9CC9-48EC-93E6-04A6BAA35D50.jpeg

That monument is perhaps only 200 yards away from the Bethlehem steel factory. The very factory that provided tens of thousands of Americans jobs and a purpose. And that factory and surrounding greater Buffalo area also provided Americans who served in the European in Japanese theater of World War II.

One looks at that photo above that is as American as it gets. One can note the surrounding homes in the picture, Home’s have been around since the glory days of Bethlehem steel. If we go back decades it was a boom town. And even to this day one can still feel the spirit of America when driving past the monument pictured above
    Attached Files
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Not many people remember that our mountain divisions were trained in the Colorado Rockies.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

And here is this to remember as well...the internment camps all over this part of America.

Comment

Camp Hale, Mountain Training Center

Comment

I had a number of Great Uncles who served. One went down on the USS Strong in the Solomon Islands. Poor Guy was in the Engine Room when the Torpedo hit. My Dad was too young and his Father had served in WWI at Walter Reed Hospital. My maternal Grandfather moved to Sulphur and helped build Citgo Oil Refinery. He was hired to help run it, but was sweeping out the local Draft Board when the war ended. If we had to invade Japan, he would have been in it! One of his two brothers served with Patton's 3rd Army. The other was 4F.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Right after Pearl Harbor, my Dad's older brother, my Uncle Mickey, dropped out of high school to join the Navy and became a fighting Sea Bee in the pacific. He had some interesting stories. My Dad dropped out of school right after Pearl Harbor to join the Navy too.
              "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                December 7, 1941 a date which will live in infamy. Japan suddenly and deliberately attacked the United States as Franklin D Roosevelt's told the nation.

Long live America long live freedom

I’m asking fellow posters to contribute what they know about Pearl Harbor and even personal testimonials from the fateful day.

As vice President Henry Wallace pointed out ... We pay homage to the fighting leaders of the allied forces the British Empire the Soviet union , China and the United States of America. But we also pay homage to the common American, common British , Soviet and Chinese as well as all of the common people who contributed to the cause of the Allied powers.

Just imagine what life was like on December 7 for our fellow Americans. Japan had launched a successful surprise attack against the United States. American people did not know what the future was going to behold. Adolf Hitler was very very happy when Japan attacked the United States he thought that the world was turning in the favor of the axis powers. German and Japanese officials felt that the Soviets Americans and British were weak and could be crushed. The axis powers would mock the allies for the beauty tolerance and Liberal values of the Allied powers. Little did Hitler or the leaders of the axis forces know of the strength or teamwork of the allied forces.

Imagine what life was like for the school teacher, Dr. or steel worker here in the United States upon hearing about how the Empire of Japan which was one the strongest empires to ever live had attacked the United States and now war was eminent. In this sense Americans knew they were going to get involved in World War II and just in a matter of time.

Imagine how it was for the American service man in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 all those Japanese planes overhead and seeing their fellow Americans getting shot and killed. In those moments when Americans manned the battle stations in Hawaii on dec 7 1941 they Did what they could to fight back the Japanese it was one of the most riveting moments in world history perhaps.

The Empire of Japan may have Thought that a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor would Break the will of the American people and lead to the defeat of the allied forces. But they were wrong because in the end the allies prevailed.
                Yes I remember Pearl Harbour, a Shock, and a terrible loss of life. The mere thought brings the hand to the 'forelock' in salute to the fallen but it was halfway through our war and most Brits also gave a sigh of relief, thinking at last some direct aid from a strong ally. lcm1
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

The native Americans trashed the monument to the one on the Gila Res south of Phoenix.

Another interesting Pearl Harbor factoid: Afterwards, the Japanese diplomats in the US were all taken to Dragoon Arizona where they were held at the Triangle T dude ranch.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2...of-triangle-t/

You can stay there today as it is still operating...

http://www.azretreatcenter.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                    ...Right after Pearl Harbor, my Dad's older brother...dropped out of high school to join the Navy...
                    My uncle did the same. His first tour was in the Atlantic, then he became a plank holder on the Iowa.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X