The battle of Paderborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The battle of Paderborn

Does anyone know of a book which main focus is the Battle of Paderborn? Or perhaps a book on the final battles in March 1945 that has a detailed and well sourced account of the battle. I found this video on You Tube but I don't think its sourced properly. The reason I say this is because in the video, among other questionable "facts", it says the German Heavy Tank Battalion 507 scored some hefty numbers on Allied AFV's which on the western front at this time seems highly unlikely.

At about the 6:50 mark of the video the narrator says the Americans called in air support which was the usual MO for the allies who were enjoying total air superiority whenever German tanks were around. In some cases the carpet bombing was so intense tanks were flipped upside down (even the heavies) and whole tank companies were put out of commission. Not so in this video the narrator states that the Tiger II's (some anyway) were still there and immediately shot up 7 Sherman tanks with their 88's. He goes on to state that by 7:30 pm the leading American armor column was annihilated losing 17 Sherman's, 17 halftracks, 1 M36 Tank Destroyer. This is also the battle where the greatest American tank commander, General Maurice Rose, was killed. I just ordered the following book which seems like a really great book and maybe it has the info I'm searching for. Until I get it I would appreciate any contributions by you all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the video:

Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Kurt, the combat history of 507 Heavy Tank battalion has coverage of this- possibly this was a source? Also, 3rd Armored Division histories. General Rose was killed by a Tiger crew.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      Kurt, the combat history of 507 Heavy Tank battalion has coverage of this- possibly this was a source? Also, 3rd Armored Division histories. General Rose was killed by a Tiger crew.
      Thanks Cult I'll have to check that out. If you watch the video it does include the story of how General Rose was killed.

Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/ss-...s-destruction/

Comment

Thank You I just ordered it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
            Cult I checked my library this morning I have the JJF history of the 503 and 508 but not the 507. How is the coverage on Paderborn in the 507 book?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

I now have the Wilhelm Tieke book "SS Panzer Brigade Westfalen - Activation - Operations - Destruction" as well as the book on General Maurice Rose.

In Tieke's book, which is a good source because he was in the battle and interviewed countless others who "were there" as well. Naturally not everyone's story is identical but they are close. I have learned that of the first 7 Sherman tanks that were destroyed just one was hit by a King Tiger of the 507 Heavy Tank units. The others were knocked out with Panzerschrecks and Panzerfausts.

There are differing accounts as to the circumstances of killing of General Rose. These being as to who shot him and where he was shot. Some say in the head others in the body or both head and body. Head and body sounds correct to me because all stated he was shot by a
              Schmeisser MP - 38 as he was lifting his shoulder strap over his head. It was dusk and the visibility poor when Rose and the rest of the men in his Jeep were trapped by a King Tiger in which the Jeep swerved off the road, hit a tree and was stuck there when the King Tiger rolled up to it.

The book on General Rose is good as there are many interviews and personal accounts of the American 3rd Armored Division's (Spearhead) enlisted men and officers. Great maps as well.

I will post more as I read on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X