• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New J.J. Fedorowicz books coming in January

From Stone and Stone books:

News from Fedorowicz
    19 October 2019

JJF has announced two new titles scheduled for publication in January:

Ritter, Dale R. Charging Knights on the Eastern Front: The Combat History of Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 505: Ritter has also written a couple of books about veterans of the 503rd and 505th.

Stober, Hans. Combat History of the 17th SS Panzer-Grenadier Division Gotz von Berlichingen, volume 2: Volume 1 was published in 2017, and volume 3 waits in the wings.

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/cha...abteilung-505/

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/17-...ngen-volume-2/

Judging from the preview, the 505 book has about 300 pages of unit history with a lot of photographic content. The other 100 pages are appendices. Definitely interesting as it was one of the most powerful units in the german army.

The 17.SS book is a definite must- have. Vol. 1, which is highly detailed and long is a very valuable text for studying normandy and this one covers the unit in Metz/Westwall/Nordwind. From an operational pov it was sort of a favored unit for reinforcements and deployment (probably because it was lead by politically reliable SS Das Reich, totenkopf etc. men) in the West Front despite its shortcomings.

In "Nordwind" it was used as the spearhead. Too bad there aren't any modern books about Metz except for the osprey booklets to match it up with. I have the old Metz book (The unknown Battle: Metz 1944).
    Last edited by Cult Icon; 06 Dec 19, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by krichter33 View Post
      From Stone and Stone books:

News from Fedorowicz
      19 October 2019

JJF has announced two new titles scheduled for publication in January:

Ritter, Dale R. Charging Knights on the Eastern Front: The Combat History of Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 505: Ritter has also written a couple of books about veterans of the 503rd and 505th.

Stober, Hans. Combat History of the 17th SS Panzer-Grenadier Division Gotz von Berlichingen, volume 2: Volume 1 was published in 2017, and volume 3 waits in the wings.

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/cha...abteilung-505/

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/17-...ngen-volume-2/
      With a title starting Charging Knights, and with a high price tag, it won't be in my xmas stocking list.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I am currently reading the somewhat dated "When the Odds were Even: The Vosges Mountain Campaign Oct 1944- Jan 1945" and it doesn't source Stober's highly detailed volumes which were made from their war records- a major failing for an influential piece of research. The 17.SS is thus judged in the analysis largely from their competitors, the german army.

So the book manages to highlight a bit the controversies between the SS and the Army at the time- the 17.SS was heavily denigrated in Nordwind (and to my understanding, before that) as incompetent and ill trained by its commanding army while at the same time- as other SS formations- it was assigned important missions such as being placed behind Fortress Metz and spearheading the attack in Nordwind.

It makes the contents of volume II of 17.SS even more interesting..

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

With a title starting Charging Knights, and with a high price tag, it won't be in my xmas stocking list.

Charging Knights was its unit logo.

This unit was the 3rd highest (reported) tank killer among all the tiger units. (900)

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post

Charging Knights was its unit logo.

This unit was the 3rd highest (reported) tank killer among all the tiger units. (900)
            I have the 503rd and 508th books. Imho, the heavy tank battalion books by JJF are worth the money. I will definitely be buying the new book as well as the 507th which I still have not got around to ordering it.

Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Knispel View Post

I have the 503rd and 508th books. Imho, the heavy tank battalion books by JJF are worth the money. I will definitely be buying the new book as well as the 507th which I still have not got around to ordering it.
              The 507 book is significantly better than the 508, which imho is far too short in contents. 507 is a chronicle like the 503 book, except half as long . The best Tiger unit histories I have are Tigers in Normandy, DR Tigers and TK Tigers by Schneider. I hope that 505 one is as good as DR Tigers.

Comment

I have the last 3 Schneider books you mentioned. The Otto Carius book, Tigers In The Mud I have read all the way through and not just as a reference like the Schneider books. Carius' memoires, IMHO, taught me a lot about heavy tank battalions and their tactical doctrines. The information I gleaned from his book was well worth the money. (Stackpole reprint).
                Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

I have the last 3 Schneider books you mentioned. The Otto Carius book, Tigers In The Mud I have read all the way through and not just as a reference like the Schneider books. Carius' memoires, IMHO, taught me a lot about heavy tank battalions and their tactical doctrines. The information I gleaned from his book was well worth the money. (Stackpole reprint).
                  Tigers in the Mud has a stackpole printing and an audiobook.

A very good Schneider book on tank training was the "Panzer Tactics" book. There is also Tigers in Combat III that has a lot of technical details.

The Rosen book (503rd), Panzer Ace, is a very good memoir. He had a career in the post war army and his stories are well rehearsed/fresh.
                  Last edited by Cult Icon; 06 Jan 20, 10:51.

Comment

I emailed the publisher and they estimate that they will have both books in stock by the end of Feb

Comment

will be looking foward to reading this
                      Oh Sure The Old Man's Off His Rocker If Grampa Says He's Dead He Must Be Alive
                      Grampa Simpson

Comment

My copy of the 505th Tiger history came in the mail- if anybody is interested, it is 10% off at RZM and the delivery for me was next day.

I can't give a proper preview yet but I can say that 1. the 500+ photos are outstanding 2. The veterans accounts and unit history are highly detailed and total about 105 large-sized pages. There is about 35 pages of biography and many colored maps at the end, plus additional appendices. 3. looks like one of the best Tiger unit histories, at the level of Das Reich Tigers. 4. Covers the use of the 505th Tiger with Model's effort at Kursk- some rare info here.

I also received Objective Ponyri! which is very impressive too and another premium book.

Comment

My preview:

Basically to me it's one of the best 3 Tiger unit histories next to the 503 chronicle/history and Das Reich Tigers.

It is composed of these elements:

1. detailed 505's daily war diary with elaboration for context and orientation
                          2. Many elaborate veterans accounts integrated with the war diary. They are of two types: combat related and "life and times of tank crew".
                          3. Like the veterans accounts, the photograph collection, which is very good and diverse, is captioned and organized accurately with the events and places depicted in the war diary.
                          4. Highlights of the tank battles include Kursk and the aftermath, the battles for Vitebsk, Bagration, etc.

To translate, the text count, it is approx. 180 pages of a regular-sized book long.
                          Last edited by Cult Icon; 23 Apr 20, 09:21.

Comment

Thanks Cult for the candid reviews. I will definitely buying that book. I have to watch my spending now with this Covid 19 effect on the economy

Comment

Thanks Cult for the candid reviews. I will definitely buying that book. I have to watch my spending now with this Covid 19 effect on the economy
                              The high quality of the book was a pleasant surprise, as the preview wasn't so impressive.

The author had collected the 505 war diary , huge number of interesting photos, and the interview material from 503 and 505 veterans.

He also put together 3 photobook + memoirs of 4 Tiger men, two of them credited with over 50 kills. This is called the "Tiger project" series.

Rubbel, book 1 is 70 pages of text long with 200 photos. Book 2, Kronke, is 50 pages of text long with 400 photos. Book 3 is supposed to have the longest text. I bought Rubbel today and will review it too.

Lt. Rubbel was Sgt. Kurt Knispel's commanding officer!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X