Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another great plane gone with 7 people kia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another great plane gone with 7 people kia.

https://wtov9.com/news/nation-world/...4-2019#photo-7
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

A post by Mountain Man going after a poster and not the post and adding nothing to the discussion was removed.
    Thank you
    ACG Staff

Comment

The Collins Institute flies their planes a lot. That particular one crashed on landing once before but had been repaired. No matter how much maintenance you do on something that old and used, eventually it's going to catch up with you. I toured that plane, along with several others Collins' had at the Goodyear airport about two years ago. Pristine museum pieces they are not.

Comment

A lot like B52's getting older than the crews that fly them. It remains the best bomb truck but only with targets with limited AA
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          A lot like B52's getting older than the crews that fly them. It remains the best bomb truck but only with targets with limited AA
          There re those,like myself, would contend that the B24 was the better heavy day bomber. Still doesn't take away from the sadness of the crash
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

And there are those (like myself) who will offer up the argument that the Davis wing design (as used on the B-24) was an accident waiting to happen.
            There's a pretty good reason that the "old school" B-24 vanished rather quickly once the emergency ended.
            The USN retained the PB4Y but everyone else ditched it ASAP.
            The basic (fundamental) B-17 design soldiered on into the mid-60's, although in non combat roles.

This assessment does not include the significantly re-designed "Privateer", which Consolidated sold to the USN in the post-war period. This machine was a complete redesign and they re-designed the (much despised) laminar flow Davis wing as well as the twin tail. It was also re-engined with 3350's.
            An entirely different aircraft and nothing like the (for example) B-24D.
            The basic B-17 is still a viable aircraft; where are the B-24's?
            My heart is torn when we have incidents like this...
            It casts doubt on the validity of issuing Certificates to 75 year old air frames.
            This is done all the time though. There are thousands of guys flying "warbirds" around the world,

In the case of "909"?
            I'd be willing to bet that the flight crew went down doing what they loved to do.
            Surely they had an "oh ****" moment, but I'm confident that they were at peace with the situation as they augured in.
            48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
            __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

I know little or nothing about the Tech: details of the plane but I am a veteran of that war and remember it in its glory days. Nothing can take that away from them but old is old and parts of you that are replacements are never quite as good as the original. ( And don't I know that!!) Finally the original bits still there say enough, I give in, and fall apart! The rest we all know, but I can remember a certain day in 44 when the sky was almost black with them going in ! So don't be too hard on them, it was 75 years ago and men and machines that still exist are all old and finally that one important piece falls off of all of us. lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X