Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palestinian Jewish and Muslim Volunteers of The British Empire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Palestinian Jewish and Muslim Volunteers of The British Empire

    Tens of thousands of Palestinian Jewish and Muslim folks volunteered to fight on the allied side in WW2, on behalf of The British Empire. One can imagine in the minds of these Jews and Muslims was a # of incentives to volunteer...due to the sheer # some would have joined to merely be a part of an Empire w/e Empire it may be. It is true that some Palestinian Muslims and Christians sided with the Third Reich but more of them sided with the allied cause.People fought in WW2 for various reasons, and due to the sheer huge numbers I think its fair to say some # of them fought to be a part of something bigger. The Palestinian Jews, Muslims and Christians that served the British Empire would surely have known of the past Empires of history whether Rome or Persia or more...so to have an opportunity come up to be a part of The British Empire would have been attractive.

    Prof. Mustafa Abbasi, a historian at Tel-Hai Academic College in northern Israel, has found that some 12,000 Arab Palestinians volunteered to serve in the British army during the Second World War in North Africa and Europe, often fighting side by side with Jews.

    Abbasi’s findings were published in a recent issue of the Cathedra periodical titled “Palestinians Fighting the Nazis: The Story of Palestinian Volunteers in World War II.”

    “Many of the (Arab Palestinians) lost their lives, others were wounded and many are still missing,” Abbasi’s research reads. “It appears that an important and central portion of the Palestinian public believed that it was necessary to stand on the British side, to postpone nationalist demands, to fight as one against the Germans and their allies, and to demand recompense at the end of the war.”

    Significant scholarly attention has been devoted to the Jewish volunteers who served in the British army and later formed what was known as the Jewish Brigade from 1944 to 1946, where historians estimate that 30,000 Palestinian Jews served.


    https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...524975,00.html
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

    George S Patton

  • #2
    The British formed internal security forces in Palestine. It would seem some of the local Arabs would raid the Jewish settlements. The British sent an officer named Wingate to train local Jewish settlers. I have not read where any Arab Palestinians fought against the Germans or even left Palestine. I do recall the Belgian Congo Brigade spent time in Palestine as a garrison.

    Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

    Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

    by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

    Comment


    • #3
      For a German Jew to join the British Army took some guts, for one to join a unit intended to fight behind enemy lines, asked a lot more. But that's exactly what this bloke did. John Peter Rodley, born as Hans Rosenfeld, nicknamed 'Max' by his pals was a Corporal in 1st A/B Div's XXI Independent Parachute Company. In this picture he is the man on the right...

      2008_01_30_11_06_28.jpg?itok=HJkzUtiN.jpg

      During the fight for Oosterbeek crossroads Corporal Rodley was killed by a burst of machine gun fire and was buried in his slit trench. After the war he was moved the the Airborne Cemetery just up the road from where he fell in battle...

      23-a-11-cpljprodley-21-ind-para-coy-oost-cem-oct-2015.jpg?itok=XhbReu9N.jpg

      The last time we were there we saw the little pebbles on his gravestone, it wasn't till I saw 'Schindler's List' that I understood their significance.


      LEST WE FORGET




      The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds suspiciously like the plot of "Inglorious Bastards"
        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
          For a German Jew to join the British Army took some guts,



          And in the earlier part of the war was extremely difficult. One route seems to have been enlistment in a branch of the Pioneers engaged in non combat duties followed later by a transfer to a combat unit
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #6
            At the beginning of the war the British authorities in Palestine were reluctant to employ either Arab or Jewish inhabitants in a military capacity. If nothing else there was a legal objection as Palestine was a LoN Mandated Territory and therefore they were not subjects/citizens of the British Empire. It was not until late 1940 when an Axis air raid on Tel Aviv destroyed several blocks of flats that some Jewish volunteers were grudgingly allowed to form AA units for self defence
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

            Comment


            • #7
              I note the article does not mention a single unit which included Palestinian Arabs, except for the Arab Legion near the end of the article which numbered between 1000-2000.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MarkV

                Personal comment removed.
                You did not read the OP.

                Prof. Mustafa Abbasi, a historian at Tel-Hai Academic College in northern Israel, has found that some 12,000 Arab Palestinians volunteered to serve in the British army
                Last edited by CarpeDiem; 12 Sep 19, 09:55.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                George S Patton

                Comment


                • #9
                  One has to wonder why no organization was ever established to commemorate the actions of these Palestinian volunteers. “Many of them were killed and many others are still listed as missing. But no memorial has ever been established for them,” says Abbasi. In fact, the records of the Palestinian volunteers, along with much of their personal archives and papers, have disappeared, much of it lost in the War of Independence.

                  Over the last few years, Abbasi was able to learn of their story in Palestinian newspapers from the Mandate era, in memoirs and personal journals, and through interviews he conducted with a few of the last remaining volunteers who are still alive. He also collected material from various British archives, from the Zionist Archive, and the archives of the Haganah and the IDF.

                  Abbasi estimates that about 12,000 young Palestinians enlisted in the British Army in World War II. Hundreds became POWs, many others (the exact figure is unknown) were killed. “Compared to other peoples, this is not an insignificant number,” he says, and also points out that, unlike other groups, the Palestinians volunteered for the British Army from the first stage of the war.

                  Initially, the Palestinian and Jewish volunteers served in mixed units. “They received training and drilled at the same bases and in many instances fought shoulder to shoulder, and were also taken prisoner together,” says Abbasi. And as reported here two years ago, the proximity of the Jewish and Palestinian fighters sometimes led to unusual outcomes, as in the case of Shehab Hadjaj, a Palestinian who enlisted in the British Army, was taken prisoner in Germany and died in 1943. To this day, he is listed at Mount Herzl as “a casualty of Israel’s wars” because someone mistakenly thought his surname indicated that he was Jewish.

                  ....

                  Motivations for volunteering were varied. “Some did it for ideological reasons, out of opposition to the Nazi ideology and loyalty to the British and the values that they represented,” says Abbasi. This motivation was common among upper middle class and highly educated Palestinian volunteers from urban backgrounds. Rural Palestinians were motivated largely by financial reasons. “And there were also those who were seeking adventure and wanted a chance to travel abroad,” he says.

                  Abbasi found that some Palestinian women also volunteered to fight the Nazis. Almost 120 young women did so as part of the Auxiliary Territorial Service, the women’s branch of the British Army, alongside Jewish women. A British recruiting poster in Arabic, published in the Falastin newspaper in January 1942, read:


                  “She couldn’t stop thinking about contribution and sacrifice, she felt ongoing pride and exaltation of spirit – when she did what she saw as her sacred duty for her nation and its sons. When your country is crying out to you and asking for your service, when your country makes it plain that our Arab men need your love and support, and when your country reminds you of how cruel the enemy is – when your country is calling you, can you stand by and do nothing?”



                  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...eers-1.7309369


                  Some of The Palestinian Jews and Muslims that served the British Empire were from the elite of society. These were the types that would have wine and cigars, it only makes sense they would want to be in the service of The British Empire. Many Arabs served British interests in the 20th century. We can see from Professor Abbasi's work that Palestinian Arabs were persuaded by the values of British history.
                  Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                  Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                  George S Patton

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                    One has to wonder why no organization was ever established to commemorate the actions of these Palestinian volunteers. “Many of them were killed and many others are still listed as missing. But no memorial has ever been established for them,” says Abbasi. In fact, the records of the Palestinian volunteers, along with much of their personal archives and papers, have disappeared, much of it lost in the War of Independence.

                    Over the last few years, Abbasi was able to learn of their story in Palestinian newspapers from the Mandate era, in memoirs and personal journals, and through interviews he conducted with a few of the last remaining volunteers who are still alive. He also collected material from various British archives, from the Zionist Archive, and the archives of the Haganah and the IDF.

                    Abbasi estimates that about 12,000 young Palestinians enlisted in the British Army in World War II. Hundreds became POWs, many others (the exact figure is unknown) were killed. “Compared to other peoples, this is not an insignificant number,” he says, and also points out that, unlike other groups, the Palestinians volunteered for the British Army from the first stage of the war.

                    Initially, the Palestinian and Jewish volunteers served in mixed units. “They received training and drilled at the same bases and in many instances fought shoulder to shoulder, and were also taken prisoner together,” says Abbasi. And as reported here two years ago, the proximity of the Jewish and Palestinian fighters sometimes led to unusual outcomes, as in the case of Shehab Hadjaj, a Palestinian who enlisted in the British Army, was taken prisoner in Germany and died in 1943. To this day, he is listed at Mount Herzl as “a casualty of Israel’s wars” because someone mistakenly thought his surname indicated that he was Jewish.

                    ....

                    Motivations for volunteering were varied. “Some did it for ideological reasons, out of opposition to the Nazi ideology and loyalty to the British and the values that they represented,” says Abbasi. This motivation was common among upper middle class and highly educated Palestinian volunteers from urban backgrounds. Rural Palestinians were motivated largely by financial reasons. “And there were also those who were seeking adventure and wanted a chance to travel abroad,” he says.

                    Abbasi found that some Palestinian women also volunteered to fight the Nazis. Almost 120 young women did so as part of the Auxiliary Territorial Service, the women’s branch of the British Army, alongside Jewish women. A British recruiting poster in Arabic, published in the Falastin newspaper in January 1942, read:


                    “She couldn’t stop thinking about contribution and sacrifice, she felt ongoing pride and exaltation of spirit – when she did what she saw as her sacred duty for her nation and its sons. When your country is crying out to you and asking for your service, when your country makes it plain that our Arab men need your love and support, and when your country reminds you of how cruel the enemy is – when your country is calling you, can you stand by and do nothing?”



                    https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...eers-1.7309369


                    Some of The Palestinian Jews and Muslims that served the British Empire were from the elite of society. These were the types that would have wine and cigars, it only makes sense they would want to be in the service of The British Empire. Many Arabs served British interests in the 20th century. We can see from Professor Abbasi's work that Palestinian Arabs were persuaded by the values of British history.
                    Fess up - Where did they serve ? In what units?
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mark V and tcox

                      If you would so kindly read the article posted in this thread that may help with your inquiries. The very professor that I brought up in this thread had a grandfather who served the British Empire in World War II on the allied side, That was the professors motivation in researching this very interesting subject.

                      Abbasi also brought up a good point about how today some Palestinians do not want to be associated with the British or with working together with Zionists. Likewise some Zionist’s do not want to be associated with the British today. Hence why we might have somewhat of a tough time pinpointing down every single Palestinian and what unit they served in with regard to the British army. That said there are people Jewish and Muslim in Israel and Palestine today that admire The British Empire and it’s legacy. In the articles provided in this thread there are some names and at least one unit is mentioned with regards to Palestinians who served in the British Empire during WW2.

                      We also have a bulletin or article posted by the British in Palestine during World War 2 That asks the reader in Arabic to join the British cause That is a tremendous piece of evidence to support what the professor has said. Mark v and tcox must have been unaware of this key element in this thread but now they are.

                      Finally to cement the fact that Palestinians did serve the British Empire. Numerous articles of this topic discuss how a segment of the Palestinian population was into wine drinking, cigar smoking the very things that Europeans would love to do. One article I posted in this thread includes a photo of a prominent Palestinian family they are dressed in suits and dresses, ThIs Palestinian family supported the British cause. It is clear that many Palestinians found common ground with British Irish and Scottish people in terms of fashion dress and hobbies. To this very day many people in Palestine love European culture. It’s no surprise that 12,000 Palestinians would have joined the British military in WW2
                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                      George S Patton

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just imagine what was said at the rallies where the British would recruit Palestinian Jews and Muslims to the cause of The British Empire. There would have been all sorts of conversations among the crowd at this rally,

                        Arab recruits listen to an address by British colonial administrator Edward Keith-Roach on April 25, 1941, outside the walls of Jerusalem’s Old City. (G. Eric and Edith Matson Photograph Collection/U.S. Library of Congress)

                        There would have been grand tales of the so called Crusades, of Turks controlling the Holy Land and so much more. At the types of rallies above one could imagine history was in the minds of all present at the rally be they British, Jewish, or Muslim. And one could imagine the British speakers at the types of rallies we see in the picture above speaking of the great figures of not only Catholic history, but also of Muslim and Jewish history to try and entice more Palestinians to join the cause.
                        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                        George S Patton

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Two posts addressing the poster and not the post were removed.
                          Personal comments on other posters are not required or allowed.
                          Please refrain going forwards.
                          Thank you
                          ACG Staff

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tcox View Post
                            I note the article does not mention a single unit which included Palestinian Arabs, except for the Arab Legion near the end of the article which numbered between 1000-2000.
                            And contained Jordanians not Palestineans
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X