Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most memorable comic books inspired by or generated by WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most memorable comic books inspired by or generated by WWII?

What are the most memorable comic books inspired by or generated by WWII?

How many posters at least partly had their interest in WII initiated when they were young through reading classic comics set in WWII?
    Voney for one.

I sure as heck did and I was originally going to post this topic way back in 2004 when I joined the Forum but somehow kept putting it off.

Helped cover this issue in a uni tute in the halcyon days (‘72-77) and back then there was a good-natured but fairly clear divide between people who read the Brit comic Fan base and the US fan base (well among students who at least admitted they read comics).

I’m a huge Marvel Comics and Commando Comics fan and have been since I was about ten, so I guess I’ll need to be careful not indulge in a long essay on comic history.
    So just suffice to say there are a very large body of comic books that have were either generated by and published during the war or were published after the war but inspired by and based on events during the war.

Essentially most American wartime era comics were straightforward, conventional, allied good guys, evil Axis flag-waving morality plays; Captain America (spoofed so brilliantly in the 2011 Marvel Studio film) where Cap is being used as a vaudeville act to sell war bonds!), Young Allies, Boy Commandos, Blackhawk, Marvel Comics USA comics ad infinitum.
    The post-war era generated WWII themed series such as Sgt Rock, Sgt Fury Howling Commandos, Fighting Marines, Unknown Soldier and Weird War Tales once again ad infinitum.
    Some brilliant, many dreadful but always entertaining.

The British war comic went down another track altogether The most famous ones were the ‘library’ series comics (black and white artwork, small page format, set page numbers for each story) War Picture Library, Battle Picture Library and Commando. Bet ya loved ‘em Voney!
    The first two were fairly uncomplicated and conventual Boys Own Annual style British /Commonwealth heroism, ‘Achtung Britisher!’ Jerry stereotypes flawed hero redemption stories.
    They ceased publication in the 1980’s if I remember correctly.

But ‘Commando’ while it started much the same as the war and battle series, morphed evolved and eventually dominated the small - format genre.
    It did this by essentially breaking out of the purely Anglo-Sphere model and covering themes, eras and theatres as diverse as Ancient Rome, the C16th to C19th, the Spanish Civil War, Finland, Minor Axis Powers (Rumania, Hungary, Finland), collaboration, Resistance movements, the Bushido Code, the Viking era, China, even stories set the Baltic in the post Great War era! Great Stuff.

Using this new approach Commando created some comic-book masterpieces and is of course still doing so today.

Oops I did it again ! Promised I wouldn’t embark on a history of WWII comics and almost did.

Anyway over to you guys and gals.

Regards
    lodestar

I can only remember SGT. Rock

Comment

I remember Sgt Fury and Sgt Rock, but if I read the comics, they were not my favorites.

My favorite was the Haunted Tank and another comic strip about a crew and its tank called "Sweet Sue".

Comment

There are a few good Sgt. Rock pieces by Kubert.

There is a Japanese artist (whose name escapes me of this moment) does extremely well researched German pov pieces (Eastern Front primarily) and these are the best quality to me.

Recently , a series WW2 comics as of late have been penned by Garth Ennis and illustrated by many different artists. Garth Ennis is clearly a WW2 enthusiast however he seems to be more breadth than depth as his stories cover all sorts of theatres and POVs. Last year he did "Sara" which was about a female Soviet sniper.

I dislike almost all of his comics but I appreciate the effort..

Last edited by Cult Icon; 11 Jul 19, 23:53.
        Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
        Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
        Barbarossa Derailed I & II
        Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

I used to read "Terry and the Pirates" every Sunday! I also remember Steve Canyon and the Adventures of Smilin' Jack.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

A couple of my favourites from the sixties...

3782119-lio17.jpg

1795_large_image-324x451.jpg

Attached Files
            The long toll of the brave
            Is not lost in darkness
            Over the fruitful earth
            And athwart the seas
            Hath passed the light of noble deeds
            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse