Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to you is WWII's most powerful or arresting visual aspect? (photo, film etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good thread.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      See the source image

Those photo's of the dead lads on Omaha gave me a jolt , we lost our L/craft on the beach, ( L/c crew ) and the Beach Master ( Sword ) gave us that job, not so many but still too many, 75% teens and twenties!! lcm1
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        There are a number of variants of it, but it's all the same thing:

It transcends nationality

It remains the same in every war
        Found it.
        A photo of .an exhausted Marine at Con Thien, Vietnam 1967' by famous photo journalist David Douglas Duncan.

It was used as a cover for 1st edition of his book 'War Without Heroes' a homage to US fighting men in VN and at the same time an early anti- Vietnam War statement by a then very prominent combat photo-journalist.

Good responses.

Regards
        lodestar
        [PDF]

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

No way!
          I have seen it before a couple of times years ago.

I'm hopeless at tracking down internet image references but the middle one is from Vietnam as far as I can track down.

Used in a Ken Burns doco 'classroom'.
          Definitely an American helmet when you see the image a bit more 'opened-up'.
          Guy does not 'look' German
          Where on earth did you get the idea he was?

Good illustration of war trauma though. Just wrong war?
          Regards
          lodestar
          There Is. Rumour that TAG was a BRITISH sniper........

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Shanghai1937.gif Although it's technically not the WWII, just the Sino-Japanese war, the picture is impressing.

As of a film, I think Come and See is quite powerful.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dmf01; 17 Apr 19, 15:16.
            "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

I have seen some bad things but photo's of children like this really take the cake!! lcm1
              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

There Is. Rumour that TAG was a BRITISH sniper........

Sorry, I'm as hopeless at deciphering cryptic posts as I at tracking down images on the net.

What exactly are you talking about?
                Who or what was TAG?
                What is the connection with British snipers ?
                and what has this to do with my question in the OP?

Regards
                lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

Sorry, I'm as hopeless at deciphering cryptic posts as I at tracking down images on the net.

What exactly are you talking about?
                  Who or what was TAG?
                  What is the connection with British snipers ?
                  and what has this to do with my question in the OP?

Regards
                  lodestar
                  It's a very weak joke but one that should not be difficult initially to work out
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Hans-Georg Henke - all the Whermacht had left

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      Hans-Georg Henke - all the Whermacht had left
                      He was 16 when the photo was taken, and since 1942 boys of that age could volunteer in the British Home Guard. The Soviet Union began levying the age class of 1926 in 1944, especially from the Central Asia military districts, and, like the Germans did with Henke, they tried not to send them straight to the front.
                      Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post

He was 16 when the photo was taken, and since 1942 boys of that age could volunteer in the British Home Guard.

But only for AA batteries not for service as infantry. Germany also had schoolboy manned AA guns. Legally from the beginning of WW1 you had to be 19 to see action with the British as infantry, this was temporally lowered to 18 during the 1918 German March offensive but with the caveat that they had to have completed the full infantry training first. There are stories of course of under age lads enlisting in 1914 with some ridiculous figures bandied around with no supporting evidence, Richard van Emden has done an excellent job of investigating this and documenting those that did - surprisingly few. Various MPs kicked up a huge fuss and a clamp down was instigated and most rooted out and sent home to their parents (some ran away and tried again) but thereafter you could join and train from 16 depending on circumstances but you couldn't fight until 19 (except amongst yourselves). The one service where British boys could be officially in action younger in both World Wars was in the RN. Jack Cornwall winning a posthumous VC at 16 at Jutland continuing to man his gun after the rest of the crew had been killed but even younger lads died serving as mess stewards etc. Officially they were in non combatant roles but a shell from a battle cruiser or a torpedo takes little notice of such distinctions and when a ship sinks or catches fire being in a non combatant role is not a lot of protection.

BTW he was already an orphan by then. If you want further information on the use of children by the Nazis I suggest you refer to my Masters dissatorial supervisor Professor Dieter Steinert who is an acknowleged expert on the subject. So far I have only achieved a Masters in WW1 so will crawl under the proverbial bushel until January
                        Last edited by MarkV; 18 Apr 19, 13:36.

Comment

u

It's a very weak joke but one that should not be difficult initially to work out
                          I'Ll live with that.
                          One Concern in 1942 was that the American m1 Helmont would be confused with the Reich coal scuttle....

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

I'Ll live with that.
                            One Concern in 1942 was that the American m1 Helmont would be confused with the Reich coal scuttle....
                            The Irish had a bigger concern having procured a version of the coal scuttle for their army probably on the grounds that they didn't want to look British and then realising that with the North filling up with British (and later American) inexperienced trainees that looking Germanic was not a good option for paroling the border (which in them days was quite a hard border).

Comment

But only for AA batteries not for service as infantry. Germany also had schoolboy manned AA guns.

BTW he was already an orphan by then. If you want further information on the use of children by the Nazis I suggest you refer to my Masters dissatorial supervisor Professor Dieter Steinert who is an acknowleged expert on the subject. So far I have only achieved a Masters in WW1 so will crawl under the proverbial bushel until January
                              Sounds like a fascinating subject to take on.
                              My mother remembered seeing some wounded schoolboy conscripts passing through the hospital near the 'labour' camp / factory she and other Poles were held in late '44 early '45.

Many crying out 'Mutter' or 'Mummi' as any kid does when he/she is hurt.

I knew what she'd say but I asked anyway,if she recalled what she felt when she saw them?

She just shook her head and said something like "after three and half years in Reich custody son, I was long past feeling much at all." or words top that effect.

It'll be a year since she passed in a few weeks.

Regards
                              lodestar

Comment

Quite touching ls. Regarding your Mother. lcm1
                                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X