Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic Fighter duels: the Zero falcon vs an allied menagerie: F4F, P40, F2F, P39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    the F2FSee the source image
    to training in 1940...
    The two seater version - still in service with the RCAF in 1941 and doing operational patrols
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8535/8...24d4c80d_b.jpg
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

great rare sighting. That is actually a Grumman FF, license built by Canadian Car and foundry for Republican Spain, orphaned in Canada....
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post
        the F2FSee the source image
        to training in 1940...
        Look closer at the tail/vertical stabilizer in that image and note this an F3F-2. That second "F" means it's Grumman manufacture, and the F3F was an improved version of the F2F, which looks rather similar;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F2F

The Buffalo was designated F2A, where the "A" was the post-script for Brewster Aeronautical Corp.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_F2A_Buffalo

Comment

BTW, I think there was an error in this thread title in that what was written as F2F was meant to be F2A.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

The Ki 43 Oscar was not on a par with Western fighters of the period. It came closest to the Italian MC 200 which in 1941 was some years behind the RAF fighters it faced. Like the MC 200 it had effectively a WW1 armament and even after a pair of guns had been removed to save weight the Buffalo outgunned it. The Buffalo would also have been faster. Whilst the Oscar was more manoeuvrable dive and zoom tactics ought to have given the RAF aircraft some advantage.
            I’ve always had a great soft spot for the Ki 53 ‘Oscar’ and similar ‘lite’ fighter aircraft from that era (mid - late ‘30’s):
            Fokker D21, Boeing P26 Peashooter, Nakajima Ki 27 ‘Nate’ Bloch 152, PZL 11, Fiat 42, Buffalo, Reggiane Re 2000, Polikarpov I-16, Macchi MC 200 and Curtiss P36 etc., etc.

Something about those aircraft that just appeals to me (I don’t know or care how other people might feel about them…..or how they feel about anything for that matter…must be ‘Sheldon’ in me).

With their two popgun calibre MG’s, under-powered engines, lightweight construction, WWI manouverability, low speed, small production runs and flown by ‘real’ pilots many of who still had a touch of ‘Knights of the Air’ about them. (yes, yes of course the whole ‘Great War in the Air’ has been hopelessly over-romanticised)
            The last fighter planes of a soon to be ‘bygone era’.
            They had an ‘authenticity’ if you will, that unhappily swiftly vanished with the coming of the faster, eight MG’s , cannon armed, powerful, turbo-charged engined aircraft, mass-produced in the thousands, flown by cookie - cutter ‘machine men’.
            Well okay maybe that’s a tad too florid and stereotypical and maybe too harsh on the post BoB period of fighter development but you know what I mean?

The Zero was probably the best of them, certainly the best pure dogfighter as such.
            It and the Ki -43 had some great classic duels with allied planes of the same ‘Golden Era’.

Regards
            lodestar

Comment

My first 'Classic Fighter Duels' thread covered the Spitfire V vs the FW 190A

Interestingly a recent book in the Osprey 'Duel' series of books covers the Spit V vs the A6M2 over Darwin in 1943.

Took my fancy as my oldest son and family just moved there so he can work as a paramedic.

Promo for book reads:

"Just weeks after Pearl Harbor, Darwin was mauled by a massive Japanese attack. Without a single fighter to defend Australian soil, the Australian government made a special appeal to Britain for Spitfires.

A year later the Spitfire VC-equipped No 1 Fighter Wing, RAAF, faced the battle-hardened 202nd Kokutai of the IJNAF, equipped with A6M2 Zero-sens, over Darwin.

This was a grueling campaign between evenly matched foes, fought in isolation from the main South Pacific battlegrounds. Pilots on either side had significant combat experience, including a number of Battle of Britain veterans.

The Spitfire had superior flight characteristics but was hampered by short range and material defects in the tropical conditions, while the Japanese employed better tactics and combat doctrine inflicting serious losses on overconfident the Commonwealth forces."

Could be a good read and wife and I are planning on going there in spring. Might visit the Australian Aviation Heritage Centre and Military Museum.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X