Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin (Timothy Snyder)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin (Timothy Snyder)

Recently, under the new and currently active thread, The Baltic Tragedy, there have been some scathing opinions about this book mocking the author and also the books contents. I have read the book and thought it to be a short (562 pages), but thorough examination of Western Russia and the atrocities and crimes against humanity committed in this part of Europe between 1929-1953 by the governing establishments of both Nazi Germany and Communist SU. I was hoping to create a poll here for the members who have read the book. A simple thumbs up or down emoticon will do but of course your opinion on the book would be much better (along with your thumb up or down).
    Our world at Khe Sanh was blood, death, and filth with deafening gunfire and blinding explosions as a constant soundtrack...Barry Fixler
    http://sempercool.com/

I have a copy but have not read it yet (along with dozens of others I keep promising myself to read)

The book was reviewed and the author interviewed by dear 'ole 'Comrade' (yep he actually is a former member of the CPA - and openly referred to as one of Australia's 'Living Treasures') Philip Adams of the Radio National (RN) branch of The Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) in Jan 2011.
    Excellent session.
    However the whole topic remains fraught with the most divisive and contentious rancour.

One person put the following comments on the RN web-page covering te discussion:

"There was a familiar ring to this story. There has been a good deal of controversy lately, in Europe, and in the Baltics, especially Lithuania, in particular, caused by a concerted push by extreme Right regimes to argue for a 'twin Holocausts' theory, that specifically equates Nazism and Soviet Communism.
    This has been more controversial still because of actions such as the Lithuanian Government persecuting elderly Jewish women for murder based on their role as Soviet anti-Nazi partisans in WW2.
    Mr Snyder's little opus appears to follow this equivalence narrative, which has landed him in trouble with Jewish activists who want to keep the Holocaust for themselves and their purposes only.

This is a real and hideously complex controversy that cried out for a proper debate not Mr Adams' ritual 'p***ing in pockets' approach, and his oft invoked 'anti-Communism' credentials.
    Questions could be asked as to exactly why the Roma seem to have been forgotten [
    I myself posted two thread-starters on this oft-overlooked topic some years ago - lodestar], the twenty million dead Soviet civilians as well, and why the supposed moral paragons of the West gave quick and untroubled sanctuary to Nazi and other fascist criminals from Ukraine, Croatia, Belarus, and the Baltics after the war, whence their descendants returned decades later with their forefathers' fascist ideology, including rank anti-semitism, completely intact."

As mentioned many times previously my recently deceased mother was from Eastern Poland pre-WWII and always said most in the West had little knowledge of the whole story and it's seemingly endless legacy.

Regards
    lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
      As mentioned many times previously my recently deceased mother was from Eastern Poland pre-WWII and always said most in the West had little knowledge of the whole story and it's seemingly endless legacy.
      There's a reason why "most in the West had little knowledge of the whole story and it's seemingly endless legacy": it was kept from them. In the 1950s my grandfather's sister married a fellow Ukrainian, fresh off the boat. Back then immigration into the US was rather more tightly controlled, and the Yalta Agreement stipulated that all Soviet nationals be repatriated to USSR authorities, so how this individual got into the country was always a matter of some . . . . mystery. Compound that with his complete silence about his wartime experiences, and speculation ran rife. He died years ago, his secrets safely buried with him, so we never did learn how he got into the country and what he did during the war.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I read it. We discussed it here before briefly.
        I found it well done except for the chapter on the Ukrainian famine. That chapter is mostly sourced from a single reference.
        IIRC Skoblin reviewed it and found the source material to be dubious.

Comment

Working...
        X