Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Dragoon, Invasion of Southern France August 15th 1944.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before Patton got command of the 3rd Army wasn't under consideration to command Operation Dragoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
      Before Patton got command of the 3rd Army wasn't under consideration to command Operation Dragoon?
      Not that I recall. He'd already been pulled out of the Med to be part of the "Phantom Army" deception in England. And, IIRC, was actually slated for 1st Army and then Army Group, ahead of Bradley, but the incidents in Sicily put the kibbosh on that.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

I wonder if some commanders were leery of another amphibious end run up the Italian Peninsula after the Anzio landings?
        I do believe that a shortage developed of Major Generals WILLING TO BE BLAMED, publically chastised HUNG, DRAWN , AND quartered like General John Lucas -

Commanders Clark and Alexander should have sent in every functional body and equipment after the landing achieved complete surprise.

OK, Maybe not Basil Fawllty.........

..." I'll have you know I killed four men in Korea...."
        " Yes, that's true, he was in the catering corps...."

( Basil and the MISSUS Fauwlty)
        The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post

Only until Autumn/the Fall. Then launch Dragoon.

With luck 15th Army Group would have been running rampant over the north Italian plain by then.
          It is important to realise that the first LCT ws Built in November 1940, and the LST's to carry them were tricky to develop and build.
          NOW that I have your attention, the fleet to cross the channel would always take precident

Comment

Originally posted by marktwain View Post

It is important to realise that the first LCT ws Built in November 1940, and the LST's to carry them were tricky to develop and build.
            NOW that I have your attention, the fleet to cross the channel would always take precident
            Interesting picture Mr. Twain. Was this a special SS unit, Adolph's Angels perhaps?

The allies always seemed to be short of LST even with over 1,000 built! They were such a useful ship.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Interesting picture Mr. Twain. Was this a special SS unit, Adolph's Angels perhaps?
              Weird, but the lass has a tag reading "B d M", i.e. Bund deutscher Mädel, the equivalent of the Hitler-Jugend, but for the gels.

Comment

The allies always seemed to be short of LST even with over 1,000 built! They were such a useful ship.
                I believe that the scenario is two Panthers following a ,uhhh, wild cat....

Kudos to Mr. Baner, who caught the insignia...Often overlooked was the rushed design of the landing ship tank. the first example was LAUNCHED , not yet fitted out) in November 1940. the ships were 'somewhat seaworthy- and could be shuttled to England at a max cruise speed of seven knots....The Mediterrean is a virtually tide free basin, landing sights were 'tricky' - no high tide in low tide unload options

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X