No announcement yet.

All in the Mind? The psychological effect of Tiger Tanks and 88’s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was the equivalent of about 1 or half a battalion operational at any time in that sector. Still, they were dwarfed by other AFV types.

Tigers are prevalent in American accounts and it comes to me as just a "catch all" term for "tank". They see a german tank and just call it a tiger.
    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

Considering it took the Western Allies AND the Soviet Union 6 years to beat them, I think we can take that as read.
      Well of course we should.
      However some posters and WWII pundits still aren't (and probably never will be) comfortable with the idea.
      Witness attempts to minimise Wittmann's outstanding achievements in the East and West (and for the umpteenth time he served a vile cause!) and the ignoring of the reality that the Germans were vastly under resourced.

Regards lodestar

Comment

What the fook's 'outstanding' about cabbaging a dozen Bren Gun Carriers then...getting the best tank in Normandy blown out from under yer...
        by a PIAT bomber!!!???

The long toll of the brave
        Is not lost in darkness
        Over the fruitful earth
        And athwart the seas
        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
          There was the equivalent of about 1 or half a battalion operational at any time in that sector. Still, they were dwarfed by other AFV types.

Tigers are prevalent in American accounts and it comes to me as just a "catch all" term for "tank". They see a german tank and just call it a tiger.
          HI CI, as I remember, it did not matter one bloody bit what brand of tank it was, if it was German you fired at it or got out of the way of it, depending on the circumstances. Light infantry were not always prepared to take them on. It is only the post war experts with their books that have made a big thing of it. lcm1
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
            What the fook's 'outstanding' about cabbaging a dozen Bren Gun Carriers then...getting the best tank in Normandy blown out from under yer...
            by a PIAT bomber!!!???

I agree with the 'Dead horse'! Von, all the German tanks were nasty buggers anyway, they were inclined to shoot at you, whatever there brand!! lcm 1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post

Last quote appears spot on.

Concerning Tigers, I spoke to David Fletcher, one time curator and librarian at the Bovington Tank Museum, and he stated that while the British tank crews DID think German tanks were better, "they simply got on with it." There was never any mention of Tigers preventing Allied tank crews from doing their job.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

Well of course we should.
                However some posters and WWII pundits still aren't (and probably never will be) comfortable with the idea.
                Witness attempts to minimise Wittmann's outstanding achievements in the East and West (and for the umpteenth time he served a vile cause!) and the ignoring of the reality that the Germans were vastly under resourced.

Regards lodestar
                Wittmans exploits may well be true, but when the main source of reference is the Nazi propaganda machine, they may not.
                Wittmans attack at Villars Boccage was an excellent surprise attack, one which any veteran German officer could have achieved. That said, he did achieve an outstanding tactical victory. He did inflict severe damage on the HQ element of an armoured division, debilitating it in the very short term.

The Germans were vastly under resourced, but whose fault is that? Although the W Allies were vastly greater resourced, it did not prevent them from running out of fuel, hence the reason for Market Garden. Further, from British cabinet records, it is clear from the supply side, they thought VE Day would be in June 45. While Nazi defeat was inevitable, it actually ended slightly sooner than the Allies hoped and planned for.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Wittmans exploits may well be true, but when the main source of reference is the Nazi propaganda machine, they may not.
                  Wittmans attack at Villars Boccage was an excellent surprise attack, one which any veteran German officer could have achieved. That said, he did achieve an outstanding tactical victory. He did inflict severe damage on the HQ element of an armoured division, debilitating it in the very short term.

The Germans were vastly under resourced, but whose fault is that? Although the W Allies were vastly greater resourced, it did not prevent them from running out of fuel, hence the reason for Market Garden. Further, from British cabinet records, it is clear from the supply side, they thought VE Day would be in June 45. While Nazi defeat was inevitable, it actually ended slightly sooner than the Allies hoped and planned for.
                  Half of Eastern Europe tainted by the German war machine was starving and it had finally caught up with Germany itself both at home and in the forces and there was only one thing that would save thousands of men women and children starving to death and that was defeat for that would bring aid from the Western Allies, which I saw personally on a minor scale, being handed out by the victorious men of the Allied Armies. lcm1
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Working...
                  X