Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your most memorable face to face, stand-up altercation about WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must admit BG, A good one!! lcm1
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

Very, very well played Icm1 .
      I asked about a face to face altercation about WWII and you provide one that was about WWII DURING WWII. Priceless!
      Bloody Yanks!
      Overpaid
      Over-sexed
      and over here!

How's that long over-due award going, still waiting?

Reagrds
      lodestar
      You mean the French L of H ? Received it early this year! lcm1
      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

After some serious humiliation by the ROTC of the lame fraternity that I was sadly to be a member off, some idiot name Bluto (how lame of a name is that?) attempted to lift our spirits by making some pep speech about not giving up after the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor. I had to bite my tongue and not confront that human pimple for his lack of historical accuracy. Clearly we were attacked at Pearl Harbor by the Italians.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
          After some serious humiliation by the ROTC of the lame fraternity that I was sadly to be a member off, some idiot name Bluto (how lame of a name is that?) attempted to lift our spirits by making some pep speech about not giving up after the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor. I had to bite my tongue and not confront that human pimple for his lack of historical accuracy. Clearly we were attacked at Pearl Harbor by the Italians.

Michele

Comment

I pride myself on having a good sense of humour but not with this sort of rubbish! lcm1
            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

One of the crossest run-ins I had was about twenty five years ago with a work colleague who got agitated when I tried to explain that contrary to popular conception and supposed conventional wisdom the infamous Waffen SSwas not, repeat not a racially exclusive organisation.

Guy thought I was talking rubbish (hard to believe huh?) and insisted on the cliché that they were an Aryan race-based, elitist organisation and an epitome of Nazism.

I tried to explain to him that the ‘broader’ Waffen SS was in some ways trying to become a kind of Pan-European force and had members (and indeed entire units made up of) who were, for instance; Hungarians, Danes, Frenchmen, Yugoslav Muslims, Albanians, Croatians, Latvians, Italians, Russians and Walloons.
              These members were not Volkdeutsche (‘racial’ German living outside the Reich boundaries - though of course Volkdeutsche joined or were drafted into the SS) but a varied bunch of races and quite clearly not the ‘Teutonic Knights’ of Nazi fantasy.

Discussion was getting heated and he was shaking his head, saying stuff like ‘Give me Strength’ (I get that a lot) etc.
              So I let it go for the moment.

Next day I bought in a copy of John Keegan’s ‘Waffen SS: The Asphalt Soldiers’ (Purnell’s 1970) an early Keegan effort and probably his best overall. It has a good chapter on the whole Waffen SS 'Foreign Legions' phenomena.

He sort of reluctantly took it and a couple days later flipped it onto my desk and said “Yeah interesting” and walked off.
              We never discussed history or much else ever again.
              Strange the way some people react when facts are presented, especially in light of fake news etc. these days.

“I have shown very clearly that you are mistaken. You cannot simply restate the same argument over and over in spite of contrary evidence, especially since you have never shown any data to back your own position.”

Regards
              lodestar

Comment

I once had a huge altercation at a conference with a Swiss gentleman who had travelled to Russia and concluded from his own personal experience that Operation Barbarossa could never have succeeded. I strongly disagreed, and in the heat of the argument, I made the mistake of implying that Swiss people were the last people in the world who should comment on the efficacy of invasion plans. Beer was involved, and not only did this person work for the same company as me, he was in a superior position. So the whole thing was a bit of disaster really. Also, I now think that he was right and I was wrong.

But generally, altercations just result from sticking to your guns, don't they? It's not aggression that starts altercations, but rather a refusal to back down.
                "Looting would not be tolerated within the Division, unless organised with the knowledge of C.O.'s on a unit basis."
                - 15/19 Hussars War Diary, 18th March 1945

Comment

I would say the perennial two that invoke the most heated responses are in order:

1. Seelöwe

2. The Japanese invade Hawaii + Pearl Harbor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X