Battleground ww2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleground ww2

Any Battleground WW2 players ou there. If so what scale and army?
    Is anyone going to Cold Wars convention in March at Lancaster, PA.

Stavka

lodestar on Battleground WWII, Stavka, Airfix, conventions and greatness

Originally posted by Stavka View Post
    Any Battleground WW2 players ou there. If so what scale and army?
    Is anyone going to Cold Wars convention in March at Lancaster, PA.

Stavka
    As you all know I lodestar have embarked on a quest to review all threads on the WWII forum.
    I’m up to this one and it got no responses back in Feb 2004, which is a shame coz I believe all posts should generate at least one response no matter what the subject.

Well then, Are there any Battleground WWII players on the forum or do you know anyone who plays the (miniatures, I assume) game?

Did anyone attend the March 2004 ‘Cold Wars’ Convention in Lancaster PA?
    If so was it a well-run and successful event?

Google tells me Battleground WWII is:
    “A comprehensive, well-presented set of skirmish rules for WWII, resolving action at the individual soldier and vehicle crew member level. The designers' intent is to provide fast-playing rules which capture the spirit of ground combat.
    Units of both sides move in random order (determined by playing of cards), with each person able to perform two Actions per turn. Morale rules allow for fanatics, cowards and heroes, and Gut Checks are required before characters can perform highly risky acts. Rules cover artillery, engineers, armored and infantry combat, but do not cover air support.”

Ah miniatures!! Takes me back to those glory years of 1964 - 1976 when best my friend and I played game after game with Airfix 00/H0 figures and Airfix (and then Fujimi) plastic AFVs (T34’s Panthers, Stug III’s, Shermans, 88’s, Churchills, Bren Gun Carriers, ) ….aaaaaah nostalgia!

Does anyone remember the old miniatures wargames rules by Donald Featherstone and Charles Grant and those beaut little books they used to write? Grand days. ~

My youngest son (a strapping 23 year old, mega-fit personal trainer on a cruise ship!) plays several miniatures game varieties so the tradition has remained in the family.

Is Stavka still with us (I mean still on the Forum books as such) I note he made only one post. Maybe he was discouraged because he received no response.
    Should we consider sending him a private message (perhaps from one of our ACG ‘elder statesmen’) telling him how the forum has been going and inviting him to return? Indeed let this be done. It would……………….. please me

Speaking of conventions, I must get back to my thread-starter suggesting an ACG World Wars convention /conference.
    We were discussing venues and possible discussion topics on the thread last time it appeared if I remember.
    I’ll be in Europe mid next year, with any luck and I believe Verdun (some lodesatrians are interned on that battlefield) would be a suitable locale.
    Indeed let it be as I suggest. It would………………..also please me.

Come home Stavka….you interest me.

When lodestar does not post many peoples’ lives feel desolate and empty.
    When lodestar posts many people find a fresh reason to go on living.
    Over the years this has become known as ‘THE WAY OF LODESTAR”

Comment

I've still got a copy of 'Battle! Practical Wargaming' by Charles Grant, had it over forty years. The original rules were published as a set of articles in Meccano magazine!

The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

lodestar on old wargaming books

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        I've still got a copy of 'Battle! Practical Wargaming' by Charles Grant, had it over forty years. The original rules were published as a set of articles in Meccano magazine!

[ATTACH]49660[/ATTACH]

Yes terrific little bok which I also have. I've got a set by D. Feathertone as well as 'Practical Wargaming' by C.F. Wesencraft and 'Tank Battles in Miniature 2' by Bruce Quarrie which are from around the same time.

I'm currently considering historians to invite to the inaugural ACG (lodestar) World Wars convention/conference.

I find Beevor, Hastings, Roberts and Corrigan all to my liking.
        Venues: either Verdun, sedan, Leningrad, Stalingrad or Kursk are favoured by myself at the moment.

One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X