Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Bombing Dresden: Warning to Russia?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fire Bombing Dresden: Warning to Russia?

    So was there a message in the destruction of Dresden. A warning to the Russians. We can bring the pain if you aren't careful!

    The first shots of the Cold War?

  • #2
    I don't think so.
    It was pure killing the enemy civilians, as a strategy to weaken Germany (as we know now it was a mistake).
    a brain cell

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
      I don't think so.
      It was pure killing the enemy civilians, as a strategy to weaken Germany (as we know now it was a mistake).
      Yeah,

      I've read what I posted re warnign to Russia. Also read that it was payback for the Blitz bombings of UK, Coventry etc...

      Comment


      • #4
        Fire Bombing Dresden

        :thumb: I have to agree with Laszlo, the bombing of Germany in general was more a terror-bombing. USAAF leaders (e.g. Arnold, Spaatz, etc.) were committed to precision bombing, but "Bomber" Harris and other British leaders were just as committed to indiscriminate bombing. For some reason, the Americans gave in to the Brits and, although legitimate targets were targeted, overall it was bombing for bombing's sake. I often wonder how it will be before some descendant of one of the thousands of victims will go to England and blow up the statue of "Bomber" Harris. I'd give them a medal.
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hinton6969
          Yeah,

          ... Also read that it was payback for the Blitz bombings of UK, Coventry etc...
          And Coventry was a payback of a bombing of civilian Berlin sites...

          (I don't want to defend the nazis, but the facts are facts... )
          a brain cell

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Fire Bombing Dresden

            Originally posted by hogdriver
            :thumb: I have to agree with Laszlo, the bombing of Germany in general was more a terror-bombing. USAAF leaders (e.g. Arnold, Spaatz, etc.) were committed to precision bombing, but "Bomber" Harris and other British leaders were just as committed to indiscriminate bombing. For some reason, the Americans gave in to the Brits and, although legitimate targets were targeted, overall it was bombing for bombing's sake. I often wonder how it will be before some descendant of one of the thousands of victims will go to England and blow up the statue of "Bomber" Harris. I'd give them a medal.
            One minor correction, firebombing of Drezden was a planned attack against civilians...
            a brain cell

            Comment


            • #7
              Well

              Originally posted by laszlo.nemedi
              And Coventry was a payback of a bombing of civilian Berlin sites...

              (I don't want to defend the nazis, but the facts are facts... )
              Wasn't that bombing of Berlin a resut of on lone bomber getting lost and dropping its load on London. One bad compass blah blah blah.

              As for Harris, killing German civilians killed workers, that meant less people to build weapons for teh Germans to fight with. I have read that in several books.

              It was a different world.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Well

                Originally posted by Hinton6969
                Wasn't that bombing of Berlin a resut of on lone bomber getting lost and dropping its load on London. One bad compass blah blah blah.

                As for Harris, killing German civilians killed workers, that meant less people to build weapons for teh Germans to fight with. I have read that in several books.

                It was a different world.
                Yeah, you are right on the payback of a payback of a payback... :crazy:

                As for the last part of your post, you could read it turned out it did not work.
                a brain cell

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Firebombing tactics

                  "Bomber" Harris knew what he was doing. After the war he admitted that if the Allies had lost he'd have probably been charged with war crimes.
                  Lance W.

                  Peace through superior firepower.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No different then the firebombing of Tokyo by Lemay, it was total war then and I dont think anyone cared about civilian casulties. Both sides believed it would make the other sue for peace, but it didnt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Actually your all wrong. Revenge probably did have something to do with it as did the fact that they wanted to force Germany into submission and take away the citizen,s will to fight. But the real reason they bombed Dredsen did have something to do with the Russians however. The original plan to bomb German cities was called Operation Thunderclap. It was cancelled however for a number of reasons but was reopened in Jan. 1945. The reason being that the Soviets were preparing to launch a large offensive into Germany. The raid on Dredsen was supposed to happen at the same time as the offensive to give the appearance to the world that the Allies were coperating with Russia and coordinating their efforts. Also, it was supposed to help Russia's offensive by destroying enemy communications and creating large numbers of refugees.
                      There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cpgor
                        No different then the firebombing of Tokyo by Lemay, it was total war then and I dont think anyone cared about civilian casulties. Both sides believed it would make the other sue for peace, but it didnt.
                        I don't know about that. The atomic bombs actually caused fewer casualties than Tokyo's firebombing, so it might possibly be viewed that it was the cumulative effect of all US bombings that finally made the Japanese seek peace. This certainly eliminated the loss of millions of Japanese civilians that would have occured if the home islands had been assaulted by the allies. Despite the destruction that US bombers (both conventional & atomic) brought to Japan in the end they saved many Japanese lives by showing "just how big our stick was", nothing short of this would have made Japan's military leaders agree to peace. They would have brought a self-inflicted genocide on their people if lesser weapons had been used. Their concepts of what was honorable were completely alien to most westerners.
                        Lance W.

                        Peace through superior firepower.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hmm… possibly but remember that Japan did not sue for peace until after the Soviet Union attacked Manchuria
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dresden fire bombing

                            cpgor noted :

                            No different then the firebombing of Tokyo by Lemay, it was total war then and I dont think anyone cared about civilian casulties. Both sides believed it would make the other sue for peace, but it didnt.
                            and Lance Williams:

                            "Bomber" Harris knew what he was doing. After the war he admitted that if the Allies had lost he'd have probably been charged with war crimes.
                            Then on top of this, the USAAC, and possibly the Brits as well, were already trying to prove that bombing could win a war, a topic that had been loudly debated in the USAAC since at least the mid-20s. Such position was as indefensible then as it is today.
                            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tsar
                              Hmm… possibly but remember that Japan did not sue for peace until after the Soviet Union attacked Manchuria
                              I don't think that the Soviet attack of Manchuria was a factor in Japan's final capitulation. However, the knowledge that the USSR would enter the war against Japan three months after V-E Day DID compel the US to use atomic weapons before the USSR could gain a foothold in the Japanese home islands.
                              Lance W.

                              Peace through superior firepower.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X