How Hitler Could Have Won WW2, ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hitler Could Have Won WW2, ideas?

I read a book about 6 months ago entitled" How Hitler Could Have Won World War 2" by Bevin Alexander. In it he suggest that if Hitler gave Rommel the forces he needed to push the British out of Africa and drove to the oil fields of the Middle East. This would give Germany supreme power, since Britian ould not get enough manpower to take it back, and the US couldnt enter the war because of lack of oil. Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria would have to give in for aid, thus giving Germany control of all of southeastern Europe without losing a single troop. Once the Suez Canal is taken, the way to overrun Palestine, Transjordan The Arabian Peninsula, Syria, Iran and Iraq. Also if germany wanted to invade Russia after this, they were in striking distance of the Caucasus oil fields.

What does everyone think?

I would say he lost because of the same reason of Napoleon : he failed to invade Great Britain. If he had invaded Great Brtiain, he would have had all the time to invade USSR.

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

ummm...first guy with the atomic bomb always wins... germany could not have won the war for this reason.
      Publisher
      Armchair General Magazine
      Weider History Group

Comment

Was the US importing any quantity of oil from the Middle East during WWII???? I thought the US was pretty self sufficient oil wise at the time.
        Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it!

Comment

The atomic bomb would have been decisive, had the Germans been able to develop, manufacture and deploy them in sufficient quantities.

Oil... nah... even in the 80s(with massive civilian consumption) the US was only importing 50% of its oil.
          " If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Comment

you should all remember that the, decisive theater of the war was the eastern front. This is where Hitler lost the war, without the USSR Great Britain and the United States would have been irrelevent.
            Just imagine if the Soviets were never brought into the war, All those eastern front troops and aircraft released to the west, what, about 2/3 of their total forces. With that OB the west could not have gotten a foothold in europe.
            Remember on d day the germans only flew 2 sorties, and what did the allies have? about 10,000 aircraft. The germans were so outgunned it wasn't funny.
            The Germans lost the war by invading the USSR, they did have a slight chance of defeating the Soviets but that was lost when Hitler sent Guderian to Kiev.

Comment

Never would have happened

He would have needed to fight on the otherside.

Comment

To assume that the Germans run an immaculate campaign, and the Soviets keep their mistakes is totally silly. And the Soviets made PLENTY.

The only way Germany could 'win' was to convince the World
                that they could live with Germany. Hard to do that when every act
                of the Leader validates hatred.

Comment

the were too indecisive and should not have fought on two fronts.

Comment

Given the array of countries and resources allied against him, why does anyone believe that Hitler or Germany could have "won" the Second World War?

And how are you defining "winning"?

Hitler could have won by keeping the peace; certainly 30 or 50 million more people would have been alive in May 1945 than was the case.

I think Germany actually "won" a lot in 1945, frankly. Their economy was rebuilt by the 1970s and they were able to compete on the world market with such products as cars, cameras, optics etc. More importantly, they lived in peace for 60 years and counting, something that was rather unusual for Western Europe up until that point in time. Like The Mouse That Roared, in coldly inhuman terms, they did more for themselves by losing the Second World War than Hitler could ever have done through military might.

Not that it was remotely worth it in terms of human lives.

John Ellis' book BRUTE FORCE may open a few eyes as to how the Second World War was won. Read Matthew Cooper on THE GERMAN ARMY also. No nation in WW II, Germany included, really developed any ingenius ways to use their military resources, and the Germans generally misused those that they had. If people want to fantasize about the Blitzkrieg Myth and think that Germany was capable of running roughshod over anyone they chose to, indefinitely, they have some serious reading to do.

Their victories in the early years were not as overwhelming as is commonly thought; even Poland was a close-run thing in many ways - assisted by Polish political restraints on defending behind natural barriers (moving behind the Vistula would have left half the country in German hands, forcing them to fight in positions where they were encircled easily) and the Russian stab-in-the-back, as well as the failure of British and French guarantees.

What could Germany have done differently to ensure victory in WW II? Nothing. The British Empire, the US, and the USSR all showed an amazing resilience, will to win, and a capacity to learn and absorb punishment. Germany never stood a chance, especially not with their backwards command structure, where the Supreme Commander could order individual divisions to change positions, and their antiquated transport system (feet, for the majority of infantry divisions, and horses for the majority of their artillery) and poor co-ordination of their heavy artillery. (A British forward observation officer could call down the fire on an entire division, an entire corps, or an entire army in just a few minutes using the appropriate code words and requisite permission for higher headquarters. The US and British could mass fires from divisional and higher artillery to fire large numbers of shells and arrange for them all to hit the target at the same moment in time - Time on Target. German forward observers, AFAIK, did not enjoy this kind of flexibility. And what the Russian artillery system lacked in sophisitication, it made up for in gun tubes.)
                    http://www.canadiansoldiers.com

Comment

Well, it is too easy to list some points and say if H. did them he could win.

I can list some points and if the leader of Sovietunion did them he could be the ruler of the world...

I can list some points and if I did them I could be the ruler of the world...
                      a brain cell

Comment

Hitler won?

Your reasoning is good, but do the math. Allied population of countries was about 400 million at least, with almost unlimited material output. Nazi germany with limited resources was about 60 million and output was 15% of allied.

Comment

In my opinion, I think that if Hitler would have let his generals fight the war, Germany would have achieved what historically would be called a victory. Hitler achieving victory is something entirely different. I don't think Hitler could have ever achieved his goals for victory in his life time. He could have taken over all of Europe if he would have invaded and captured Great Britain before he invaded the Soviet Union, and he might have been able to get the Soviet Union if he was able to pour all of Germany's military might into it. It is also important to keep in mind that Hitler declared war on the United States first, not the other way around. So if he would have left the U.S. alone and let them fight Japan, then he might have had enough time to establish himself in Western Europe to the point that the U.S. couldn't do anything about it. Of course, every empire comes to an end eventually, Hitler's just came to an end quicker than most others. It's all conjecture anyway, no telling who might actully be right.
                          Run fast, shoot straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Boy
                            In my opinion, I think that if Hitler would have let his generals fight the war, Germany would have achieved what historically would be called a victory. Hitler achieving victory is something entirely different. I don't think Hitler could have ever achieved his goals for victory in his life time. He could have taken over all of Europe if he would have invaded and captured Great Britain before he invaded the Soviet Union, and he might have been able to get the Soviet Union if he was able to pour all of Germany's military might into it. It is also important to keep in mind that Hitler declared war on the United States first, not the other way around. So if he would have left the U.S. alone and let them fight Japan, then he might have had enough time to establish himself in Western Europe to the point that the U.S. couldn't do anything about it. Of course, every empire comes to an end eventually, Hitler's just came to an end quicker than most others. It's all conjecture anyway, no telling who might actully be right.
                            Hitler never intended to invade England, and was always disappointed that they couldn't be brought on side as an ally. Hitler fought the English in World War One and had great respect for them, but more importantly, he knew that if he conquered the UK, the riches of the Empire abroad would be arrayed against him (South Africa, Canada, Australia, India, New Zealand, Egypt, Palestine, etc.). England was far more useful as an ally, and Hitler never got over their unwillingness to negotiate.

The United States was an ally of Britain almost from day one. Roosevelt made no bones about his support for Britain, even without declaration of war. US warships were in the Atlantic long before the declaration of war; aircraft were sent to Europe and China before Pearl Harbor, and Honey tanks were in the desert doing good work before Dec 1941, to name just a few. The US would have gotten involved without Hitler's declaration of war, the only question is how formally. Hitler made all that academic, but don't think for a second that the US did not make a considerable contribution to the war against Germany before Pearl Harbor.
                            http://www.canadiansoldiers.com

Comment

I never said I thought the U.S. wasn't involved before the formal declaration of war, I am well aware of all the situations you have mentioned. The question is not what Roosevelt would have done, but what the American people would have let him do. Is it not? As president, he has to have the support of the people, and were the people willing to fight Germany? Were they willing to fight Germany before an official declaration? You can argue the point as much as you want, but can you really know if they would? In actuality, you can't know they would anymore than I know they might not. Not 100% anyway. They very well could have been, I simply gave my answer to the question. I never claimed to be right.
                              As far as your argument about the riches of the British Empire being arrayed against Germany, weren't they anyway, and yet he never conquered GB?
                              Run fast, shoot straight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X