Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII army bag is found in desert

Love the bit about the two girlfriends

A bag belonging to a World War II soldier from Lancashire has been discovered in the Egyptian desert after lying there for more than 60 years.

Alec Ross, from Burnley, lost the bag containing personal letters and photos, while serving with the 8th Army.

Egyptian tour guide Kahled Makram found the bag in the Sahara desert and traced Mr Ross's family through a BBC website on World War II.

The bag is being sent to Burnley to Mrs Ross's sister, Irene Porter.

Mr Ross, who settled in Whaddon, Buckinghamshire, after the war and died three years ago at the age of 87, was a despatch rider in the Long Range Desert Group.

According to Mrs Porter, who was only eight years old when he was serving in Egypt, her brother was a member of a unit known as Popski's Private Army, one of a number operating behind enemy lines.

She has been able to read the letters - sent by her parents, herself and her brother's two girlfriends - from photographs put onto disc by Mr Makram.

Mrs Porter, 75, of Burnley, said: "I was stunned when I found out about this and it is just incredible the way the bag has come to light.

"I will be so pleased when I can actually hold the letters in my hand and feel something my mother actually wrote to Alec all those years ago.

"I just wish the bag had been found a few years earlier so that Alec could have been reunited with its contents.

"He would have been thrilled, if a little embarrassed about having had two girlfriends on the go."
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE - BBC NEWS

was a despatch rider in the Long Range Desert Group.
    Blimey! I bet he knew his way around the Desert then.

Comment

Great story.
      Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
      If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Indeed it was a great story
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Very interesting tale.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
            Blimey! I bet he knew his way around the Desert then.
            yupper tough and gallant lads they were...as to multi-girlfriends? hell not to worry... proves the lad was multi-talented.

Nice story Boonie.

best
            CV

Comment

Very interesting, im gonna read now.

oh thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
                yupper tough and gallant lads they were...as to multi-girlfriends? hell not to worry... proves the lad was multi-talented.

Nice story Boonie.

best
                CV
                ...and a multi-tasker~
                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Love stories like that. Thanks Boonie!
                  ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                  ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X