Stalingrad book recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalingrad book recommendation

Hi folks. To maximize my hobby dollar I am looking for the BEST 1-2 books on Stalingrad. "Best" defined as comprehensive, authoritative, accurate, unbiased with excellent narrative, detailed maps and many accurate/good quality photos (no German 105s identified as "the deadly 88"). Add in an exhaustive OBs as well.

That said, I briefly thumbed through a copy of Death of the Leaping Horseman ($80 SC) this past weekend at a friend's house. It looked great, but perhaps a bit more space devoted to minutae than I would prefer, i.e., lists of casualties, iron cross winners, etc. Does the balance of the book overshadow this? I only looked briefly.

So, Listers, what is the best and why?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Currently playing:

Nuthin'! What's up with that?

I started reading Antony Beevor's Crete book and enjoy his writing style very much. I've gotten through the first 80 pages or so. I also have his Stalingrad book and am now looking forward to it. Perhaps you ought to give that a look if you haven't already bought your book.

If you have bought your book, which one did you choose?
    -Marc

Comment

Stalingrad

I would recommend a book by Jeffry Jukes... from Ballantine's Illustrated History of WW II series... 'Stalingrad the turning point' enough pics to keep you interested and very well written.

Another one would be...'Enemy at the Gates' an eyewiness account by William Craig...this is easily one of the best WWII books ever written in my opinioin. Very detailed and written from the perspective of those who lived/fought through the battle.

Either choice would give you some great insight into this battle and some graphic details into the horrors of war.

I personally liked Enemy at the Gates for its personal accounts of the battle.

Hope this helps...PT109

Comment

I've read the Beevor book and thought it was very good

Comment

From all accounts Beevor's work seems to be the most highly rate work on the subject in years. This is due in large part from research based on recently declassified material.
          Check out Amazon's review on this book:
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

regards :wink:

John
          Duchess of Richmond: They're the salt of England.
          Duke of Wellington: Scum. Nothing but gutter trash and scum. Gin is the spirit of their patriotism.

Waterloo 1970

Comment

mgenberg,

Actually, I did end up buying Death of the Leaping Horseman hardcover for about $85. I thought I'd treat myself. It has been good so far. Sounds like Beevor's book is good based on other people's opinions. I may look into that one, too. Thanks!
            Currently playing:

Comment

Originally posted by Houlie
              mgenberg,

Actually, I did end up buying Death of the Leaping Horseman hardcover for about $85. I thought I'd treat myself. It has been good so far. Sounds like Beevor's book is good based on other people's opinions. I may look into that one, too. Thanks!
              Hi Houlie,

I sure I've seen this book somewhere before but, I was unsuccessful in locating it on Amazon and other bookstore references. Can you please advise who is the Author, publisher or what the ISBN # is for the Leaping Horseman?
              Thanks!

John
              Duchess of Richmond: They're the salt of England.
              Duke of Wellington: Scum. Nothing but gutter trash and scum. Gin is the spirit of their patriotism.

Waterloo 1970

Comment

Author's website

http://www.leapinghorseman.com/

Comment

Mark, FYI - I purchased the book through Articles of War in New Mexico. I ordered by phone and the owner was extremely helpful - great service. Got it in a week. Plus, I know he had a few more copies.

www.articlesofwar.com/

Best regards.
                  Currently playing:

Comment

Oops. Sorry, I meant John.
                    Currently playing:

Comment

I finished reading Antony Beevor's book on Stalingrad and enjoyed it very much. It covered the operational level and some strategic level, starting with the prelude to the battle as well as the relief attempt. I was hoping a bit more details on the actual city combat would have been presented, but still enjoyed the book thoroughly and would recommend it. I recently read Robin Cross' book on Kursk and the information presented tied in nicely with that book as well.

I read some of the reviews of Craig's "Enemy at the Gates" and am slightly concerned about the validity of some of the material, since it's slightly more anecdotal. Anyone have an opinion on this or perhaps a different book recommendation for detailed street level fighting?
                      -Marc

Comment

Craig's "Enemy at the Gates"

well worth a read, he captures the essence of the battle there very well.

Also Paul Carrel ''Scorched Earth'' should be good too.
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Beevor's Stalingrad is my choice and recommendation.
                          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Anthony Beevers book " Stalingrad"
                            Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

Beevor's Stalingrad and Berlin - The Downfall 1945 (the latter covering events up to and after in the early chapters)
                              Now listening too;
                              - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X