Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the better warship of the 2nd world war??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the better warship of the 2nd world war??

to me, is the shinano class carrier, is a very good carrie, but, suffer from a bad decision
    BISMARCK
    70.00%
    TIRPITZ
    10.00%
    Yamamoto
    20.00%
    Vittorio Veneto
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Aircraft carriers with their trained pilots.. Be it any aircraft carrier from any country, they formed a formidable threat..

All battleships are overrated.. Not one of them performed its task to its satisfaction..
    Bismark was crippled by the bombs from the swordfish fighters from Ark Royal, which forced it to stay the course and into the path of the King George V..

Hood(already obsolete by the start of the war) was sunk by Bismark..

Vittorio Veneto was time and again threatened by aircrafts and therefore unable to pose a serious threat..

Yamato was sunk by aircrafts from the aircraft carriers..

Comment

Well it took four torpedoes from USN Archer-Fish to sink her. So IJN Shinano didn't make an impact on the war.
      The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
      ----
      We got a kinder, gentler, Machine gun hand - N.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by TRUECRISTIAN View Post
        to me, is the shinano class carrier, is a very good carrie, but, suffer from a bad decision
        If you have made up your mind that it is a carrier then why have you wasted our time listing BB's. IF we had a smilie with one up rasied finger I would post it.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

IJN Yamato was heavy on fuel n' came way too late. Both she n' IJN Mushasi did withstand a lot before they were sunk by a/c's n' didn't even have the oportunity to put their main arnament to good use.

Why not put in HMS Vanguard as the peak when it comes to BB's.

But BB's was made obsolete by the aircraft carrier.
          The safest place in Korea was behind a platoon of Marines. Lord how they could fight! - MGEN Frank Lowe, U.S. Army.
          ----

Comment

A strange list indeed to choose from!

Bismarck n' Tirpitz was more or less upgraded WWI constructions with better steel in their armour but with weak boilers n' driveshafts. Vittorio Veneto wasn't even equiped with a radar n' was also more or less a prewar construction n' at last Yamamoto wasn't even a battleship but an Japanese admiral that planned the attack on Pearl.
            ----

Comment

Why not put in HMS Vanguard as the peak when it comes to BB's.

From Combined Fleet

H
              .M.S. Vanguard
              HMS Vanguard, though a living, breathing ship, also is a non-starter. Don't get me wrong, I like the Vanguard and think she was a great ship in many ways. She was a tremendous gun platform, very steady in rough seas, and had excellent horizontal protection. But she didn't fight in World War Two, which was Criteria Numero Uno as to whether or not a ship was considered eligible for this comparison. Furthermore, Vanguard was largely a wartime expedient, built with 'off-the-shelf' components, including:

A low-angle (and hence shorter ranged) 15" main battery which was cannibalized from two WWI-vintage capital ships (and which was admitted by the British to be obsolete before the war began). This weapon, though rugged and accurate, was still not remotely in the same league as the U.S. 16" or Japanese 18" guns in terms of power and range.
              An existing, non-optimized powerplant design which was just sort of dropped into her hull for the sake of cutting six months off of her building time. This same powerplant design also gave her unacceptable vibration problems at high speeds and/or during aggressive maneuvering.

From a pure 'rating standpoint', she also suffers from a number of drawbacks:

An unarmored superstructure, which was a poor design choice in all of the later British battleship designs.
              A belt armor scheme which again did not take advantage of either de-capping plates or outward canting.
              An anti-aircraft battery which is little better than King George V, and clearly not as good as Iowa. By their own admission, British naval officials rated Vanguard's AA suite an '8' to Iowa's '10', even though Vanguard was commissioned after the war ended, and used American Mk37 directors. That's pretty definitive.

For these reasons Vanguard can hardly lay claim to being the best effort that Britiain has produced in her long and glorious naval tradition. Given the resources and time to complete them, the Lion-class vessels would undoubtedly have secured that title. In the event, though, the King George V-class is the only example of a British World War Two capital ship we have to draw upon, and so she was used in this comparison.

At the site listed above, Combined fleet, they do a break down of the pro's and cons of a number of famous ships.

HP
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Hmmm Bismarck and Tirpitz were the same class, Tirpitz had some more AA (well a lot more light AA) and more radar, plus torpedo tubes to finish off the merchants she never sunk. Same otherwise though.

It's Yamato not Yamamoto though (Yamamoto was the Admiral), plus she had her forgotten sister Musashi. Shinano was the same class just made into a carrier but not mentioned on the poll.

The Littorios were underated IMHO but still.

What about subs? They helped bring Japan to her knees, and were the only hope for Germany to bring Britain down.

Comment

I've gone for Bismarck, her story is the stuff of legend.
                  The long toll of the brave
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

The aircraft carrier was the ultimate warship of WWII.
                    Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
                    If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Bismarck was refered to as a "HE" by the Germans that built & sailed him.

Regardless... he had a glass ass.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Essex class carriers; they are war winners. Honourable mentions go to: Iowa class BBs and the British Illustrious class aircraft carriers. Also the German type VII, American Gato and British T class submarines.
                        Essex Class Carrier

Iowa Class BB

Illustrious Class Carrier
                        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                          I've gone for Bismarck, her story is the stuff of legend.
                          Well me too...among the choices given for sure.

Comment

Look at the poll choices closer

I don't think the Admiral was much of a warship.

As for that limited list, I'm picking the Bismarck, even though it sailed once and got trashed.

Interesting poll selections though. None actually achieved any real fame that I know of. Aside from making nice examples for plastic models decades later.
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Well without responding to the OP directly, my choices would be the Essex class carriers. And the USS Iowa class battleships, the only limit to these ships was the fact that they had to squeeze through the Panama Canal so they never were able to look as imposing as the Yamato, but the fire control for the Iowa class was 10 out of 10.
                              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                              Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X