Colossus cracks codes once more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colossus cracks codes once more

For the first time in more than 60 years a Colossus computer is cracking codes at Bletchley Park.

The machine is being put through its paces to mark the end of a project to rebuild the pioneering computer.

It is being used to crack messages enciphered using the same system employed by the German high command during World War II.

The Colossus is pitted against modern PC technology which will also try to read the scrambled messages.

"A virtual Colossus written to run on a Pentium 2 laptop takes about the same time to break a cipher as Colossus does," he said.

Colossus cracks codes once more

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister View Post
    Very cool!

I read some where that one of the major limitations of the speed of Colossus was the paper data tapes. They broke when spun too fast. Modern materials for those tapes could probably double the speed or even more.
    Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

I'm impressed they could find a P2...
      Winnie says
      ---------------------------------
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

The troops and the battles tend to get all the plaudits. Alan Turing and the rest of the people at Bletchley Park making that computer and the rest of their work are arguably the most signifiacant group in turning the war around for the allies particularly the Atlantic battles. I bet a lot of them got the mickey taken out of them for being nerds at school too. Hurrah for the boffins and men messing around in sheds!!

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
          The troops and the battles tend to get all the plaudits. Alan Turing and the rest of the people at Bletchley Park making that computer and the rest of their work are arguably the most signifiacant group in turning the war around for the allies particularly the Atlantic battles. I bet a lot of them got the mickey taken out of them for being nerds at school too. Hurrah for the boffins and men messing around in sheds!!
          Irksome that at the time they did not get the credit for it, and indeed could not even talk about it. If I had managed to reduce the length of the war by 18 months I'd want to shout about it.

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I sort of think that Betchly park was a weapon of more importance than Radar. People focus on those rough types gallivanting about with a knife clamped between their teeth, yet Betchly park was possibly the greatest weapon in the allies arsenal.
            Winnie says
            ---------------------------------
            "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
            Herr Flick.

Comment

Modern computing power wins after all.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071116/...codebreaker_dc
              "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

Originally posted by pmririshman View Post
                Modern computing power wins after all.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071116/...codebreaker_dc
                Yeah, better take it all apart again.

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Bravo Zulu to Colossus and the Men & Women unsung, Lest we forget!!

Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                  Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                  David Bowie

Comment

In war it always comes down to 'those rough types gallivanting about with a knife clamped between their teeth' in the end.
                    Who was it said that man's very last conflict would be fought with rocks and spears?
                    The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

I'm with you guys 100% on this one. I don't think the work and effects of Bletchly Park will ever be fully appreciated. The nature of compartmentialization and secrecy required (probably more than a few documents destroyed in that regard) probably means we'll never get the real picture of what intel they were able to obtain. Truly unsung heroes!

Comment

Ultra and Magic were both so important to the war effort it is inconceivable on how important they both were. For the men and women of both organizations.
                        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X