Recommended Books of War World II.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Books of War World II.

While we have a book forum; I thought it would be nice for use to create a referance list of books that should be in one's personal library.

Ideally I'd like to see it in the following format.

Title; author.
    Comment on why it should be read.
    Availablility Price
    URLs are optional.

I'll start.

To War in a Stringbag; Charles Lamb.
    First person tale of one of the best greatest generation who flew Swordfish torpedo bombers for the Fleet Air Arm till captured on an a special mission for the SOE in French North Africa.

Availibility: New (Amazon UK) http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Stringba...4933283&sr=8-1
    For 5.99 pounds.
    New/Used (Amazon.com associate dealers) http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Stringba...4933283&sr=8-1
    Starting at $7.99

Let's hear it for other books now.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

2nd Recommendation.

Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949; Soldat: Siegfried Knappe
    1st Person tale of a German soldier who fought the entire war. Does not waddle in the German version of 'The Lost Cause' aka Russian Tidal Wave. One very lucky soldier as he was one of the last to leave Stalingrad.
    Availability: Readily available. Price: $7.99 (Amazon.com)

Comment

The Rommel Papers; Erwin Rommel, Linddell Hart
      Rommel's own journal entries and photographs of the war including extensive accounts of his campaigns and after action reflection on his decisions. One of the best WWII books I've ever read.
      "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Ise the war by ken burns goode?
        Maggiore :p

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
        -Carwood Lipton quoting Henry VI

Comment

Originally posted by MaggioreItalian View Post
          Ise the war by ken burns goode?
          I haven't watched very much of it at all. I know his documentary on the American Civil War was excellent. I'd think this would also be very good.

Comment

Freddo

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

Comment

Supplying War by Martin VanCreveld

Far too often people ignore logistics in discussions on military history. Chapters 5,6 and seven deal with several very popular what ifs that are often discussed by people interested in WWII.

Chapter 5 deals with the German invasion of Russia and why the Germans were lucky to get as far as they did. Chapter 6 makes it perfectly clear that the Axis could NEVER EVER win in North Africa. Chapter 7 discusses the allied logistical effort in North West Europe and addresses the idea of giving Patton all the logistics resources.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Pz1K...mbnail#PPP1,M1

This book should be required reading in order to get posting privileges on any military history website.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting read. I'll need to see if I can find it. (Hopefully for cheap. I'm poor.)

Comment

The German Way of War: From the Thirty Years' War to the Third Reich by Robert M. Citino

Citino demonstrates that Blitzkrieg was not as revolutionary as everyone thought and was just an application of traditional Prussian thought married to modern technology.

Amazon price $23.07

http://www.amazon.com/German-Way-War...5265349&sr=8-1
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Wonce i learne goode inglese i wille try to reade som

Comment

Any of the excellent books by David Glantz
                      Collosus Reborn
                      When Titans clashed
                      Battle of Leningrad
                      Battle of Kursk

These are probably the best English language books on the fight between Russia and Nazi Germany. David Glantz used both Russian and German original source material and cross checked them.

Every one who is interested in WWII and the fighting in Russia should read these books. So much of our "common knowledge" of this epic struggle was based on self promoting memoirs of defeated German generals. This resulted in some very powerful myths that are taking a long time to die. Glantz's work is key in busting some of these myths and getting to the truth of the story of the most important struggle of WWII.

http://www.amazon.ca/s?ie=UTF8&searc...0Glantz&page=1

Comment

The absolute essentials, IMO:

Why The Allies Won - Richard Overy. Foremost historian of the Second World War, explaining it all. Absolutely brilliant.

Russia's War - Richard Overy. A general rather than military history from the point of view of the Soviet Union, nicely compliments the works of Glantz, Erickson etc.

When Titans Clashed - David Glaantz. Speak of the devil...best military history of the Eastern Front available.

The Most Dangerous Enemy - Stephen Bungay. Excellent history/analysis of the Battle of Britain.
                        Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

I heartily agree with When Titans Clashed - a great small single volume.

Also, Rick Atkinson's books An Army at Dawn (Pulitzer Prize winner) and The Day of Battle.

William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

Carlo D'Este's Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life and Patton: A Genius for War

Evan Mawdsley, Thunder in the East
                          "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
                          -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

The Night of the Generals from Hans Hellmut Krist is also a good book.

Comment

IRON FIST by Bryan Perrett is worth a read as it contains information and case studies of armoured warfare from the beginning to the gulf. Well worth a read and to keep as a reference. ISBN 1-86019-954-2

From an Australian perspective - TOBRUK by Peter Fitzsimons. The story of the defence of Tobruk. This book is large but still hard to put down once you start reading. It gives an insight as to what it means to be Australian and what we owe to these men and all others who fought for us. There is a lot of humour in it as well as a lot of useful information about both sides and what actually happened. ISBN 0-7322-7645-4.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X