No announcement yet.

Operation Market Garden - Part 2

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Operation Market Garden - Part 2

    Operation Market Garden - Part 2

    As in all desperate situations, the courage and tenacity of the human will was demonstrated time and again.

    Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

  • #2
    Market - Garden, after Midway, has to be my favorite campaign/battle of WWII. Thanks for posting the articles.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.


    • #3
      i think that the american 101st airborne is the best: this


      • #4
        "Even though lacking in manpower, Gavin sent his men toward the bridges at the Maas and Maas-Waal Canal, and the high ground nearby. He would thus secure an entry point for XXX Corps. The 505th Regiment would take Groesbeck and two bridges over the canal. The 508th would secure Nijmegen. It was the task of the 504th to capture the bridge at Grave, further to the south."

        It's Groesbeek, not Groesbeck. The 504th PIR also had to take four bridges across the Maas-Waal Canal. One, No.7 at Heumen, was taken by B Company on 17 September. No. 8 and 9 were blown up in the faces of A and C Companies. Bridge No.10 (Honinghutje) was taken by E/508 and C/504 on the 18th.

        There was no plan to secure Nijmegen at all on the first day. Major General Gavin had directed Colonel Roy Lindquist of the 508th to dispatch one battalion "at the earliest opportunity" to the Waal Bridge in Nijmegen. Around 19.00 hours on 17 September Gavin learned no action had been undertaken so far. LTC Shields Warren then received orders to send Captain Jonathan Adams' A Company into the town.


        • #5
          "Even though a number of the bridges were destroyed before the paratroopers could capture them, a couple of them were taken so that XXX Corps could proceed. The key bridge was to the northwest, at the city of Nijmegen. Confusion in orders delayed a rapid advance to that point. This was to be deeply regretted later. By the time the Americans had arrived there, reinforcements were on hand."

          Bridges 8 and 9 were blown.


          • #6
            "On the morning of the next day, after a fierce barrage against the north side of the river, American paratroopers got under way. The crossing was a nightmare. The waters were fierce and treacherous. German fire was taking a deadly toll of men and boats. Of the 26 boats that started out, only 13 made it to the far shore. The remaining boats went back to ferry more men across, all the while taking casualties. Once ashore, the paratroopers charged the enemy, wiping out one strong point after another. Soon they were at the north end of the bridge. At the same time, units on the south end had finally broken through, and tanks began to cross the bridge."

            Too bad the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment is not mentioned by name here. The 3rd Battalion, followed by the 1st Battalion, crossed at 15.00 hours - so IN THE AFTERNOON. The British Grenadier Guards tanks rolled across the Waal Bridge at 19.00 hours. They linked up with the Americans (Captain Burris and a mixed force of I and H Company) around 19.20 hours.


            • #7
              "The final battalion, led by Colonel J.D. Frost, took a secondary road and avoided the Germans. An attempt to take the railway bridge failed, as it was blown in their faces. The group proceeded to Arnhem itself. Other units later found their way into Arnhem, so that by that night, some 500 soldiers occupied the buildings and ground overlooking the north end of the bridge. Two attempts to take the south end of the bridge by Frostís men failed. One was a direct attack across the bridge. The other was by rowboat."

              The author of this part probably meant LIEUTENANT COLONEL John D. Frost's men tried to find suitable boats to cross the river (elements the 1st Parachute Squadron R.E. was dispatched for this mission under Major Murray) but couldn't find any. In the article it seems an attempt was made
              by rowing boats but retaliated by the Germans, which was not the case.


              • #8
                "Of the 9,000 Allied soldiers who had fought on the north side of the river, only about 2,300 would return."

                2398 to be exact (including 175 men of the 4th Dorset Regiment)


                Latest Topics