Maisy Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maisy Battery

One of the visits a friend and I made after the Normandy tour this year was the newly excavated battery SW of Grandcampe Maisy.

The battery was largely ignored on D-Day (minimal airstrikes prior to the landings) and was on the target list for the HMS Hawkins.

On June 9th, 5th Ranger Battalion attacked the positions (WN 83 & 84) which was defended by elements of the 352nd Division. The position was captured with a relatively light loss of life.

Gary Sterne, the owner of the site, contends that the position was capable of and did fire on Omaha beach on D-Day and further that the batteries had significant impact on the landings. I have an email out to Gary and am hopeful to have a response (he was helpful and responsive when we were planning the trip).

I am just in the preliminary stages of looking into the location and its impact on the landings and am curious if anyone here has some sources they can point me to or some information they can share.

The site is excellent with the excavation and site development proceding nicely. I would say that the admission was a bit steep in light of the interpretation currently available on the site, but it looks like they are working hard and I plan to include the site in next year's trip. Hopefully, by that point - next Oct - they have a bit more interpretation available or I have something with us to give the guys. Regardless, I think that the site is on par with the battery positions at Azeville and Crisbeqc.

I have been reaading what I can find on the subject and starting on an OB for a scenario/game on the topic.

Google Earth Coordinates
    Latitude : 4922'34.10"N Longitude : 1 3'40.31"W

My pictures on Webshots

Interesting links:
    History Net: Does Point du Hoc Still Matter?
    Discussion re the battery - scroll down for a heated post in English
    Rangers at Point du Hoc : w/ comment re Maisy

Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
    Normandy 2007
    ACW Border Wars 2008
    Bulge 2008

The effectiveness of the battery would have been dependent on reliable spotting of the fall of shot. Without that, it would have been pretty much hit or miss.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
      The effectiveness of the battery would have been dependent on reliable spotting of the fall of shot. Without that, it would have been pretty much hit or miss.
      Yes, there is some question on the calibre and nation of origin of some of the guns emplaced in the battery.

The owner is currently in negotiations on film rights and while he will respond to queries regarding visiting the site, he is not able to share much more information. This is unfortunate as I have been having a bit of a tough time digging up much on my own. I was thinking about throwing together a Combat Commander scenario or two and maybe woorking with an ASL buddy of mine on some for that game....
      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
      Normandy 2007
      ACW Border Wars 2008
      Bulge 2008

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X