Der Brandenburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Der Brandenburger

That's right folks,Germany had commandos too...the Brandenburgers.Now,I only heard about these guys a little while ago,and I was wondering if anyone had any good tales of their exploits(I don't expect them to be as famous as the SAS,or the OAS,but they must've done something!Right.....?)

I also think they might've been the basis for the British and US commando services,they were the first.....(They were there when Czechoslovakia was taken over,when Poland was invaded,the Balkans and French campaign,and in the Russian campaign)

book

there is a fantastic book:

- The Brandenburgers: Global Mission (Franz Kurowski)

that describes their actions all over the world... too bad no movies were made on these guys, as their missions were real interesting!
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

iran

of quite interrest were the missions to assassinate churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt in Iran as well as missions in Iraq.

but German doctrine, and general Abwehr failure, pushed to turn these highly successful commandos into division combat units - much less effective. the commando role was taken over by the SS, when they also took over the Abwehr fucntion. Another example of politics messing up the war effort.
      "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Were these the guys who recaptured Mussolini?

Comment

Nope,those guys were SS commandos.Brandenburgers were the guys who sneaked into Poland,France,Russia before each invasion,capturing strong points,bridges,etc.In Czechoslovakia,before the Germans annexed it,they put plain-clothes Brandenburgers amongst the civilian population to do counter-intelligence.

Comment

An interesting story here about how the Brandenburgers captured Maikop.

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/bu...n/brndbrg.html

And a general overview of the Regiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburger_Regiment
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I've heard about them and some of their exploits. As a matter of fact, the WWII History magazine had an article on the Brandenburgers in its July 2005 issue.

Jeff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X