Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Battle of the Bismarck

All,

Watched on German TV a show that lasted three hours on the Bismarck.

Very good computer graphics on the show to display the Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, Hood, PoW, Nelson, King George V and the Fairier Torpedo planes.

Recommend it to all to see. It is originally done in English with the German voice super-imposed over English speaking experts.

I almost understood half of what was being siad in German. Been here for three weeks already.
    Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
    Fairier Torpedo planes.
    Fairy Swordfish?
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

Comment

Dont remember seeing such a programme over here. What is it called?

Regards
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

this one was made a few years ago, and followed an expedition to veiw the wrecks intercut with CG renditions of the battle. I think it was recently given away to subscribers to the build the bismark subscribers here in the UK.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/17000...k/Product.html

I cant remember if it was Bob Ballard`s expedition or not..
        Stephen.

'Why be a cog in the machine, when you can be a spanner in the works.'

Comment

I think I remember seeing something like the show discribed this side of the pond. I can't remember the name and haven't seen it since. They had interviews with poeple from both Bismarck and 1 of the survivors from the Hood. I'd buy it if I could find it. It's hard to believe what the Bismarck did to Hood. Kinda funny to think that it was a few canvas covered wooden planes from the Ark Royal that sent Bismark to her fateful meeting with the Royal Navy. She still took a lot of fire from before she finally went under. Their is a show on the miltary channel called Dog fights. They did an episolde on the Bismarck. I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen other episoldes of the show it's usually done very well, and the computer graphics are awsome.
          "To the USA Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne. . .There is only one possibility. . .the honorable surrender of the encircled town."
          "To the German Commander: Nuts! The American Commander."
          Brig GEN McAuliffe response at Bastogne Dec 1944

Comment

Maybe it is time, what with re-doing ww2 history all the rage, a new Bismark movie, with the latest graphics and all, isnt Peter Jackson re-doing the Dambusters, after all?

Comment

Originally posted by galland View Post
              isnt Peter Jackson re-doing the Dambusters, after all?
              Aaaand he's so in trouble with codewords and dead dogs...
              Winnie says
              ---------------------------------
              "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
              Herr Flick.

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                Aaaand he's so in trouble with codewords and dead dogs...
                Oh, is he having trouble getting the movie of the ground, Listy? Or is he suffering from Hollywood licence to do mwhatever is necessary to sell the movie?

Comment

Read an article awhile ago that posed the idea that it was Prinz Eugen that fired the shot that sunk the Hood. Perhaps I can find something on the web about this.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:HMS_Hood_(51)

There are at least three theories on why the Hood exploded: -Bismarck's 15" shell penetrated either a gunpowder magazine (or the engine room and blew the rear firewall away, so the explosion could propagate to the magazine) -Prinz Eugen's 8" shell set the unrotated projectile ammunition pile on fire abord the Hood's deck and the flames were sucked into the ship via a left open door or some failing ventillator -Hood blew itself up due to 15" autoloader malfunction or human error. An old lady came forward some 3 years ago to say in public what his father, an RN veteran confined in her. Hood had unreliable gunnery equipment and its crew were poorly trained after the mid-1930s, they almost managed to blew themselves up during an excercise some week prior to the battle. Such an event would not be unparalleled in the course of naval warfare or the history of the Royal Navy. It is quite plausible. 195.70.48.242 20:44, 10 January 2006 (UTC)

Comment

Torpedoes ruled out here.

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/...adm1-19140.htm

During conversations with a German officer of Z.38, it has emerged that there is a school in the German Navy which considers that H.M.S. HOOD was sunk by torpedoes fired at long range by PRINZ EUGEN and not only by shell fire from the BISMARCK.

5. As a result of these rumours, I have caused a thorough search of German Naval Staff documents to be made. I have thus been able to form the definite conclusion that there is no truth in these rumours, which are presumably the result of exaggerated "amour-propre" on the part of "PRINZ EUGEN"'s ship's company.

6. The German Naval High Command West Group reconstructed the action from the log of "PRINZ EUGEN", West Group and North Group (extracts attached as Appendix "A. This shows that "PRINZ EUGEN" at no time in this action fired any torpedoes; and there is no evidence that "BISMARCK" fired any.

Comment

Torpedo hit

Saw another TV show that had two deep submersibles dive on the wreck.

Show video of how a torpedo from one of the Swordfish hit the rudder and jammed the center screw, dooming the Bismarck.

They sent a smaller remote controlled submersible into the hole above the rudder. You could see the scorch marks all along the inside of the compartment.
                        Kevin Kenneally

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
                          Show video of how a torpedo from one of the Swordfish hit the rudder and jammed the center screw, dooming the Bismarck.

The torpedo didn't actually hit the rudders, it hit the stern near the rudders, and this caused a partial failure of the stern, which collapsed on to the rudders jamming them

Excellent web site on both the Hood and Bismarck
                          http://www.navweaps.com/index_inro/index_inro.htm

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                            The torpedo didn't actually hit the rudders, it hit the stern near the rudders, and this caused a partial failure of the stern, which collapsed on to the rudders jamming them

Excellent web site on both the Hood and Bismarck
                            http://www.navweaps.com/index_inro/index_inro.htm
                            Thanks,
                            The voice over in German made it too difficult to understand the English speaker.
                            Kevin Kenneally

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X