Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alas, Another D-Day Thread...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alas, Another D-Day Thread...

    So, what was the name of the first soldier to set foot on the Normandy Beach?...the first Americian soldier...

    Why do I ask this? This man is supposed to be a graduate of my High school..
    I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

  • #2
    this should be interesting.

    There were comando actions of taking soil/sand samples during the planning stage, but I'm guessing you mean on the Day. While I don't know the answer I would guess that it well be someone from a UDT Team
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 18 Oct 07, 15:11.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
      this should be interesting.

      There were comando actions of taking soil/sand samples during the planning stage, but I'm guessing you mean on the Day. While I don't know the answer I would guess that it well be someone from a UDT Team
      Good point. Let me clarify. On June 6th, 1944. What was the nam,e of the first US soldier to set foot on the Normandy beach landings...of Utah and Omaha.
      I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
        Good point. Let me clarify. On June 6th, 1944. What was the nam,e of the first US soldier to set foot on the Normandy beach landings...of Utah and Omaha.
        OK then your not looking for the first but the first Inf type. Is that correct?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Half Pint View Post
          OK then your not looking for the first but the first Inf type. Is that correct?
          I must suck at social skills

          Sorry if I'm missing what you don't understand. I asking what was the name of the first man (or reported to be the first) who landed on the beachs and actually stepped onto the beach...of EITHER of the two US beaches...not both.
          I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

          Comment


          • #6
            Corporal Harvey S. Olson and Private Tommy Killeran of A Troop and Sargeant John W. Zanders and Corporal Melvin F. Kenzie of Troop B, swam ashore to mark the beaches for the landing craft. Harvey is very likely the first man to step on French soil from the sea that morning.

            The whole story: http://www.dday-overlord.com/histseng.htm

            I have no idea how accurate this is.

            D1
            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
            - Col. David Hackworth

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
              I must suck at social skills

              Sorry if I'm missing what you don't understand. I asking what was the name of the first man (or reported to be the first) who landed on the beachs and actually stepped onto the beach...of EITHER of the two US beaches...not both.
              Actually the first US troops coming from the sea didn't land on UTAH and OMAHA but on St-Marcouf Island off the coast of the Cotentin at 0430 hours. I have the same names than D1, these men were part of Troop A, 4th Cavalry Squadron and Troop B, 24th Cavalry Squadron.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                Actually the first US troops coming from the sea didn't land on UTAH and OMAHA but on St-Marcouf Island off the coast of the Cotentin at 0430 hours. I have the same names than D1, these men were part of Troop A, 4th Cavalry Squadron and Troop B, 24th Cavalry Squadron.
                Yep, the islands are off the intended landing beaches - North of the actual landing point. They were mined and wired, but otherwise undefended. It was feared that the island might have a gun battery or serve as an observation point for Crisbeq and Aziville. The landing party did suffer casualties.

                see ST Marcouf - personal account

                The timing and compisition of the landings is documented, so if the locals are who they are saying they are, you're on good footing. I should have used that account (link above) as the reading last week when we were in Normandy. We ran the guys up to the Le Clerc monument as it provides acess to the beach in the intended landing zone. We go there after visiting the actual landing site to give the guys a feel for how much worse Utah could have been but for the luck of the currents. While we were on that section of beach, I pointed out the islands and went over their significance... I will have to remeber to include the contents of the link in next year's trip.
                Last edited by traygreen; 23 Oct 07, 15:21.
                Tray Green

                www.abandofgamers.com

                Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                Normandy 2007
                ACW Border Wars 2008
                Bulge 2008

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X