The Neutrality Act of WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Neutrality Act of WW2

Here's and interesting bit of trivia you can all argue over.....

At the start of WW2 before Germany declared war on the US, America due to the Neutrality Act could not deliver aircraft directly to the RAF so the a/c were flown to the Northern US States opposite the Prairie Provinces, Alta,Man, Sask and towed across the border by tractor and then flown to the UK.

When I joined the Canadian airforce back in 1957 this was all shown to us on film as part of the RCAF heritage.

per ardua ad astra

Not only that, but planes destined for the Soviet Union was flown to Alaska and the planes picked up by Soviet pilots.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

As an add on to my first....The Royal Navy had the same thing on ships from the US.....All my uncles were in the RN and two of them came over with crews to the US in the early 40's to pick up destroyers from USN bases on the East Coast

per ardua ad astra

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        Not only that, but planes destined for the Soviet Union was flown to Alaska and the planes picked up by Soviet pilots.
        When I was stationed at Ft wainwright, Ak in 1980, a guy out hunting found the wreckage of a a P39 that had crashed shortly after taking off IN 43 OR 44 (Can't recall the year) the Soviet Pilot successfully bailed out and walked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
          As an add on to my first....The Royal Navy had the same thing on ships from the US.....All my uncles were in the RN and two of them came over with crews to the US in the early 40's to pick up destroyers from USN bases on the East Coast

per ardua ad astra
          Ditto for cargo ships on the west coast. Soviet crews would take them out of Seatle & Portland with cargos for the Pacific ports. Ironically a couple of these seem to have been sunk later by US submarines while headed for Japanese ports.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X