Seventh Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seventh Carrier

What would the world be like NOW if the Japanese Navy had a Seventh Carrier (the size of the Akagi or Kaga) in their attacks on Pearl Harbor?

Read the book MANY years ago....
    Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
    What would the world be like NOW if the Japanese Navy had a Seventh Carrier (the size of the Akagi or Kaga) in their attacks on Pearl Harbor?

Read the book MANY years ago....
    Same place. The faults of Pearl Harbor wasn't due to the lack of airplanes on the Japanese part as bad planning and Nagumo's decision to withdraw after the second airstrike.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Hmmm...

...probably little difference. Maybe one more ship to refloat; maybe one more Arizona (catastrophic loss). Maybe the loss of the tank farm that historically survived (a major oversight on the part of the IJN, in my opinion). The loss of the fuel stocks and infrastructure would likely have a delaying effect on the historical level of ops that the USN conducted in the immediate aftermath of the Pearl fiasco. This would be the biggest potential thing that might affect the historical TL. (IMO)

Cheers, Ron
      Last edited by iron; 15 Oct 07, 14:55. Reason: Typo
      48 trips 'round the sun on this sh*tball we call home...and still learning...
      __________________________________________________ __________________

Comment

I don't see them needing a seventh aircraft carrier for the Pearl Harbor strike. Another flat top could have been useful in the Malaya Campaign or in the Dutch East Indies Campaign.

I don't see another Kaga or Akagi getting built. These were casualties of Naval disarmament treaties. Why waste a hull that has been worked on so much? That is how we got the Lexington and Saratoga. The Kaga and Akagi were not great designs as smaller Japanese carriers carried more aircraft. I could see another Soryu or Hiryu getting built if the funds had been there and they could have got around the disarmament treaties. Both of these ships carried more aircraft than the conversions.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X