Diver killed on U-boat expedition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diver killed on U-boat expedition.

A diver has died in an accident off the north-west coast of Ireland.

He was on an exploratory dive to assess the chances of recovering a sunken U-boat 16 miles off Malin Head on the County Donegal coast.

The vessel, which did not see any war action, sank while being towed from Scotland to Londonderry to be scrapped.

Derry City Council plans to raise the Nazi submarine, U-778, currently lying in about 70 metres of water, and house it in a museum.

It is estimated there are about 150 such boats lying off Malin Head, all vivid reminders of the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II.

Diver killed on U-boat expedition.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

We had something similar happen here a few years ago off the east coast.
    A father and son were diving on a U-boat in about 200' depth so they needed
    to decompress when going back up. The son got hung up in the U-boat
    towards the end of the dive, and the father went to rescue him.
    Well they used up too much air, not enough to decompress, so rather than
    drown went to the surface. The son was dead when they got there, the
    father died minutes later. Very sad
    Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
      We had something similar happen here a few years ago off the east coast.
      A father and son were diving on a U-boat in about 200' depth so they needed
      to decompress when going back up. The son got hung up in the U-boat
      towards the end of the dive, and the father went to rescue him.
      Well they used up too much air, not enough to decompress, so rather than
      drown went to the surface. The son was dead when they got there, the
      father died minutes later. Very sad
      Nitrogen Narcossis (the Bends) is not a pleasant way to die, yet it still happens quite often to inexperienced divers. Does anyone know if decompression chambers are common issue equipment in coastal hospitals within the US?
      Last edited by johnbryan; 03 Oct 07, 18:32.
      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

When I was doing my diving certification, the first rule was to decompress. A tick my dad uses is to go up when you have about 20 to 15 minutes of air left.
        I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

I never go deeper than 60-70', no reason too. At 60' you can stay down
          for almost an hour.
          Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans! Lennon - www.lufttiger.com

Comment

Originally posted by lufttiger View Post
            I never go deeper than 60-70', no reason too. At 60' you can stay down
            for almost an hour.
            Deepest I went down to was around 90. Caribean ma, cool lookin' fish, and there was a some-what old fishing boat that sank and was just fun to dive near. Hated going up...
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

On a cruise I spoke with a professional diver who dives old U-Boats and he commented that diving subs is very risky. Not just because of the debth, but the confined spaces inside which makes it very difficult to maneouver and turn around and death due to a lack of oxygen. Additionally, he said there are many other hazards including old fishing nets, twisted metal unexploded ordinance.

He said only fully experienced sub divers should even attempt it. If you are inexperienced, you must have a professional with you (even then you could get killed).

Comment

Indeed this is very sad.
                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
                  When I was doing my diving certification, the first rule was to decompress. A tick my dad uses is to go up when you have about 20 to 15 minutes of air left.
                  The report says that they knew but chose to not drown and instead risk too fast decompression.

Which is of course the wrong decision, the death from decompression is both more certain and more painful than the one from lack of oxygen. But I guess they were under a bit of stress when making the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                    The report says that they knew but chose to not drown and instead risk too fast decompression.

Which is of course the wrong decision, the death from decompression is both more certain and more painful than the one from lack of oxygen. But I guess they were under a bit of stress when making the decision.
                    Oh hell yeah. They not have wanted thier bodies to sink. I heard someone say that they would rather do a fast decompression that drown so that their family had his body....

Comment

Lufttiger - your details are incorrect. The end result however was father and son dead. A detailed account of the incident can be found in the book "The Last Dive"

John Bryan - you are confusing Nitrogen Nacrosis (the narcotic effect of increased partial pressures of nitrogen) and Decompression sickness (aka DCS or the BENDS). Noone dies of narcrosis as a primary cause.
                      You are also completely wrong about DCS killing inexperienced divers. Inexperienced divers have neither the equipment nor the air consumption rate to go deep enough and stay down long enough to incur a decompression obligation. DCS usually occurs in experienced divers who are going deeper and staying longer.

Redwolf - you are completely wrong. Drowning WILL KILL you permanently. Decompression Sickness is survivable. See the aforementioned book "The Last Dive"
                      where the author recounts his own personal tale of getting bent.

Comment

Wouldn't you float nicely, and slowly, to the top even if you lost consciousness if you dropped the ballast?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
                          Lufttiger - your details are incorrect. The end result however was father and son dead. A detailed account of the incident can be found in the book "The Last Dive"

John Bryan - you are confusing Nitrogen Nacrosis (the narcotic effect of increased partial pressures of nitrogen) and Decompression sickness (aka DCS or the BENDS). Noone dies of narcrosis as a primary cause.
                          You are also completely wrong about DCS killing inexperienced divers. Inexperienced divers have neither the equipment nor the air consumption rate to go deep enough and stay down long enough to incur a decompression obligation. DCS usually occurs in experienced divers who are going deeper and staying longer.

Redwolf - you are completely wrong. Drowning WILL KILL you permanently. Decompression Sickness is survivable. See the aforementioned book "The Last Dive"
                          where the author recounts his own personal tale of getting bent.
                          You are correct. I got the two mixed up.
                          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Wouldn't you float nicely, and slowly, to the top even if you lost consciousness if you dropped the ballast?
                            Honestly I don't know. I think if your lungs filled up with water you'd sink. But there is still oxygen in the blood. I'm not sure if that will make much of a difference (never was good at atanomy). But I do know that in Bering Sea, bodies of fishermen who have drowned will sink if you give them time.

Comment

No. If you lose consciousness at depth with positive bouyancy the net result will be a rocket ride to the surface and likely a fatal embolism. The compressed air in your bouyancy compensator will expand as you rise. This results in more positive bouyancy which means you rise faster. Divers discharge air from their bouyancy compensators as they rise to avoid an uncontrolled ascent. That's not going to happen if the diver is unconscious. The same expansion occurs with air in your lungs. This will probably result in an embolism.

However unconcious at depth is 100% probabilty of death. You will drown eventually. Embolized at the surface is a very high probability of death but not 100%.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X