A Battleship Yamato Related Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Battleship Yamato Related Question

(Johnbryan, D1J1, Listy, Lokinar & Von Richter.....Your Participation in This Topic is Not Required Nor is It Wanted or Needed As I Already Know Where You Stand on The Following Question)

FACT: I CANNOT PROVE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY BECAUSE I CANNOT FIND THE BOOK THAT I READ WHAT I AM ABOUT TO REVEAL.

A long while back, several years in fact, I remember reading where The Japanese Battleship Yamato had some form of SUBMARINES as a part of it's Armament.

I took it a little too far and went so far as to say that it actually had FOUR I-400 Class Subs in it's belly.

I know, I know, l'm gonna get a chastising for that one & I already have on more than one occasion.

BUT.....is it possible & has anyone else here in The ACG w/The Exception of the 5 people listed above, ever heard of anything even remotely close to the Yamato having any sort of or size of submarines on board her?????

It has been suggested that perhaps she had a compliment of Kaitens on board her decks.

And Please, Gentlemen, be ever so kind as to NOT chastise me with Spam & Sealion Jokes, as I am trying to be serious with this question.

How were these stowed and launched? If you mean they were stored on deck and launched by crane then a compliment of midget subs wouldn't be out of the relms of possibility.

If, however, you are thinking of some 'hanger' system with doors opening under her belly I would doubt it just from a structual point of view. Having big doors underneath would comprimise the structual integrity of the ship.

Of course, all IMHO

Wolster

Comment

No I've never heard that, it would be pointless. Now it's possible you read that her Launches were stowed in below-deck hangars and launched via an unusual traveling crane arrangement mounted on both quarters, this was due to the main guns' blast would have damaged them when firing.
      Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
      Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
      David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by Duke William View Post
        (Johnbryan, D1J1, Listy, Lokinar & Von Richter.....Your Participation in This Topic is Not Required Nor is It Wanted or Needed As I Already Know Where You Stand on The Following Question)
        Since I'm not on the list ... yet ...
        A long while back, several years in fact, I remember reading where The Japanese Battleship Yamato had some form of SUBMARINES as a part of it's Armament.
        I took it a little too far and went so far as to say that it actually had FOUR I-400 Class Subs in it's belly.
        The I-400 were over 5,000 tons displacement so 4 of them would comprise nearly a 1/3 of the entire ship. That sounds a bit far fetched and I've never heard of anything even vaguely like this concept.
        It has been suggested that perhaps she had a compliment of Kaitens on board her decks.
        The Kaitens were only 8.3 tons displacement so dumping a pile of them on the deck is entirely possible. Likewise, the Kaitens and Yamato were in action during the same period of the war so this is at least plausible. The cranes used to land the BB's scout planes could have been used to lower the Kaitens into the water.
        Battles are dangerous affairs... Wang Hsi

Comment

Four I-400s would displace 21,000 tons. Subtract that weight from the Yamato and that would make heavy armor and 9 X 18.1 inch guns impossible.

An I-400 is over 400 feet long. Where do you put 4 of them in the Yamato? The weight of battleship gun turrets and all it's relation are foundationed to the keel. Where would you find over 400 feet of length between the turrets?
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

No Kaitens, either, they were meant to be deployed stealthly, not by a massive Battleship charging into the fury of battle.
            Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
            Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
            David Bowie

Comment

I just checked my Tamiya Yamato model ship.......no , no subs there , just some crayon from my kids...WHY YOU LITTLE...!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                Four I-400s would displace 21,000 tons. Subtract that weight from the Yamato and that would make heavy armor and 9 X 18.1 inch guns impossible.

An I-400 is over 400 feet long. Where do you put 4 of them in the Yamato? The weight of battleship gun turrets and all it's relation are foundationed to the keel. Where would you find over 400 feet of length between the turrets?
                Like I said, In my exuberance of reading about Submarines on board The Yamato, I made a mistake in expressing the possibilities of not just a single I-400 Submarine being inside the Bottom Hull of The Yamato, but 4 of them being there.

That being said, I have come to realize my error, and I went so far as to pint it out, that I made a mistake.

I realize now, that even having ONE I-400 Submarine inside The Belly of The Yamato would have been an impossibility.

That being said.....Move along Salinator, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by PzKfwBob View Post
                  No Kaitens, either, they were meant to be deployed stealthly, not by a massive Battleship charging into the fury of battle.
                  But.....between points A & B, there could have been many places they could have been launched if what I read was true.

No one ever heard of Kamikaze attacks either until they happened.

Comment

"In my exuberance of reading about Submarines on board The Yamato, I made a mistake in expressing the possibilities of not just a single I-400 Submarine being inside the Bottom Hull of The Yamato, but 4 of them being there."

"UP PERISCOPE!"

"DOWN PERISCOPE!"
                    Last edited by Von Richter; 20 Sep 07, 08:17.
                    The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

But.....between points A & B, there could have been many places they could have been launched if what I read was true.

What the Duek fails to say is that once he made this outlandish proposition, he reverted to his adament, arrogant, "sealion self" and wouldn't listen to reason or historical fact, even after I presented the blueprints as part of the proof. Just more Feeling Based, unresearched, fantasy,comicbook claptrap, nothing more. There never were any submarines aboard the Yamato.

There was one case of a Japanese Aircraft Carrier carrying suicide submarines in its hangar for delivery to some island base. When a spread of American submarine launched torpedoes hit her, the submarine's warheads quickened the carrier's demise by blowing its bottom out.
                      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                        What the Duke fails to say is that once he made this outlandish proposition, he reverted to his adament, arrogant, "sealion self" and wouldn't listen to reason or historical fact, even after I presented the blueprints as part of the proof. Just more Feeling Based, unresearched, fantasy,comicbook claptrap, nothing more. There never were any submarines aboard the Yamato.
                        Like I said John, and for the reasons illustrated above, your input in this discussion was not wanted nor needed.

Comment

Thanks Von, but that was not necessary.

Comment

No one ever heard of submarines aboard the Yamato either, because there weren't any.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate-Drakk View Post
                              Since I'm not on the list ... yet ...

The I-400 were over 5,000 tons displacement so 4 of them would comprise nearly a 1/3 of the entire ship. That sounds a bit far fetched and I've never heard of anything even vaguely like this concept.

The Kaitens were only 8.3 tons displacement so dumping a pile of them on the deck is entirely possible. Likewise, the Kaitens and Yamato were in action during the same period of the war so this is at least plausible. The cranes used to land the BB's scout planes could have been used to lower the Kaitens into the water.
                              Yes, but to what end? Kaitens have a top speed of only a couple of knots before their batteries run out, whereas manuevering naval task forces commonly travel at 25-35 knots. The Japanese woudn't be so stupid as to compromise their biggest battleship's fighting abilities by burdening them with a bunch of slow moving submarines. Besides, the Yamato would have to come to a complete stop in order to launch them to prevent damage to herself or to the submarines. This would make her an inviting, irresistable target to any and all Allied aircraft, submarines and warships.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X